Best tablet for notetaking, pdf/ebook reading, sketching,~$500

Looking for a tablet with the above features and have found the surface pro 3 ($450 with surface pen) and ipad pro ($500 with apple pencil). Any other good tablets people know of?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Bvc7a5Vlr_U
twitter.com/AnonBabble

x220t

iPad Pro 10.5"

Dunno how the cheaper ones are but I used a surface pro throughout all of university, it's really fucking nice for taking notes, drawing quick sketches and diagrams, marking things and scribbling around on the pages of whatever (e-)books you have for your lectures, etc. They feel really fucking nice to work with as long as it's touch inputs you are looking at. The keyboard is kinda shit but, but that's to be expected. I ended up not really using it much anyways with how slick the handwriting detection is.

At that price, and if you're only taking handwritten notes, the iPad Pro hands down. I've had the surface 3, SP3 and SP4. Trust me when I say it's shit compared to the iPad for written notes, it has more lag and has parallax issues depending on the orientation of your screen not to mention the fuckton of software bugs you will encounter daily. This is not to mention it heating up enough during updates to burn your fucking hands when annotating PDFs, and heating up for no reason regardless which is very often apparently.

The SP5 is much better in these regards, but M$ has let me down too many times. You can try a Samsung Chromebook Pro if you want to boot up linux from time to time and still want a pretty great writing experience.

He said BEST not WORST.

oh and I forgot to mention this

youtu.be/Bvc7a5Vlr_U

Which is fucking incredible that they still haven't fixed it over FIVE ITERATIONS, this was infuriating when sketching up ECE circuit diagrams.

Is it out of the question to get a drawing tablet to connect to your computer? You don't have to buy a big shit.

Pen and paper.
Better retention, no battery, no distractions

Yeah I am in EE so it would be nice to not have that problem.
I want to take the tablet to classes and only have a desktop at the moment, no laptop. Dont most drawing tablets have to be connected or are some portable as well?

>pen runs out of ink
>can’t plug it into paper to recharge it
The future is now, old man

What a good tablet to get for my wife's son?

Don't you use SPICE software and matlab? You might want to reconsider the iPad, chromebooks that run linux can take care of any programs that won't run otherwise.

pen and paper

I've been using a surface 3 (non-pro) with a wacom bamboo ink nearly daily for 6 months. I've replaced almost all my paper with it.
It cost ~$270 total, never had any issues, battery lasts several hours of screen time, doesn't get hot, full x86 windows OS, works for some moderate office work if I need it. Oh and iirc there's decent *nix support. Unlike the surface PRO 3 it's all passively cooled, but I don't miss the difference in power. Granted, I carry a separate laptop with me for heavier work and programming, but I break the surface out for everything else.
I keep a few AAAA batteries for the pen handy and can charge the surface off my battery bank if I need to.

I don't know what these pen inaccuracy problems () are but they're either only related to the surface brand pens, newer surfaces, pro models, older windows versions, or I got lucky.

The surface 3 wasn't bad at the time, but the pen lag is just too much when you consider modern tablets have near instantaneous inking now. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but when you use an SP5 or iPad Pro you really can't go back.

I wouldn't recommend buying a niche machine like the surface or the like, unless you've tried it out (not just a few minutes) and really like it. But the surface looks nice, only thing I dislike with it is the poor linux support, shit (to me) keyboard, and price

Is it getting confused by detecting his hand or something?
Any better results by wearing a glove?

no it's just an inherent flaw, it can't draw straight lines in some cases and especially drawing diagonal lines, it's a well documented issue.

Yeah Ive used my friends surface pro for a few hours and it seemed alright. I dont plan to use the keyboard much except
I run PSPICE and matlab and other software on my desktop or on a university computer (labs, research)

Lenovo yoga book