High quality video output profile (goes into mpv.conf):
Stable: profile=opengl-hq
Git: profile=gpu-hq

Configuration Files:
mpv.io/manual/master/#configuration-files
mpv.io/manual/master/#files

Input.conf:
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/etc/input.conf

Post your system specs and config if you're asking performance related questions.

Windows Builds:
Stable Portable: mpv.srsfckn.biz/
Stable Installer: rorgoroth.bitbucket.io/
Git Portable: sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/
Git Installer: rorgoroth.bitbucket.io/
Vapoursynth: jenkins.maeyanie.com/job/mpv/

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mpv-player/mpv-build
mpv.io/manual/master/#options-osd-bar-align-y
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/TOOLS/lua/autocrop.lua
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What scalers does the OpenGL dumb mode disable?

how 2 get the git version on gentoo?
I tried
sudo emerge "=media-video/mpv-9999::gentoo"

but it tries to install =media-video/ffmpeg-9999::gentoo
and ffmpeg fails to build :-'(((

mpv git requires ffmpeg git so if that wont build for some reason then idk.

Probably you are better off to use github.com/mpv-player/mpv-build which is the recommended way to use mpv git on linux.

works now
i had to build it without zimg
is zimg important ?

It's a lachs0r meme, nobody elses uses/cares about it (inc zimg devs if FFmpeg git is broken when building with support for it).

I'm sick and tired of VLC crashing at least two times a day or more (sometimes doing something as simple as switching to the next track triggers it)

Redpill me on the least painful transition to MPV. How stable can i expect it to be under Ryzen on win7 x64

Also does it handle radio streams as well as VLC does? With the latter i just have to save a text file as m3u with the stream URL and it just werks

you just open the mpv window, drag url in and done. but for some reason i cant get twitch to work for me, it buffers like every 5 seconds. hopefully someone knows the answer. (ryzen 1700 too)

So it has no support for the direct association of local m3u files with the program itself? That'd be a damn shame and would mean i'd have to keep looking for a viable vlc replacement

i'm not sure, let's wait for someone experience/knowledgeable to come around and see this thread. i myself am not the most familiar with mpv too.

I never had any problems with .m3u8 files (local and uploaded online), so seems more like a twitch problem, indeed.

Also forgot about wasapi inplementation.

What is the absolute best quality profile that exists for this player?

yeah i can confirm. youtube streams works perfectly fine, but twitch cache is like max 2s with 6kb buffer.

Quality is subjective, and no profile will ever give you best quality in every imaginable scenario. Use opengl-hq and add filters if you feel like.

What are some filters you'd recommend?

Glow mpv configurator (the application) has presets with some filters, try this:
profile=opengl-hq
hwdec=auto-copy
target-prim=auto
target-trc=auto
format=default:colormatrix=auto
video-output-levels=auto
deinterlace=auto
video-sync=display-resample
framedrop=vo
deband
deband-grain=80
dither-depth=8
scaler-resizes-only
sigmoid-upscaling
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
scale-antiring=0.5
cscale=ewa_lanczossoft
cscale-antiring=0.5
dscale=mitchell
tscale=mitchell

Most filters are meant to suppress some kinds of artifacts, but also tend to introduce other kind(s) of artifacts, you may want to refer to the mpv manual and try to find ones that make it look better subjectively.
I use motion interpolation to not get motion sickness from anime, but it comes with a ton of artifacts that would probably kill someone else's viewing experience.

Thanks friend

Here's some advice: Don't just copy some retards configuration
Look at potential options one by one, read the documentation and understand what they do, try them out and decide.

>cli
>into the trash it goes

hello.
i am some retard.
copy my config, thx
##################
# video settings #
##################
vo=gpu
gpu-api=opengl
profile=gpu-hq
video-sync=display-resample
icc-profile-auto
vd-lavc-dr=yes
deband-iterations=2
deband-range=12
deband-grain=0

# shaders #
#lags my shit and looks ugly.
#opengl-shaders="D:/mpv/shaders/KrigBilateral.glsl;D:/mpv/shaders/SSimSuperRes.glsl;D:/mpv/shaders/SSimDownscaler.glsl"

# Scaling #
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
cscale=bicubic_fast
tscale=oversample
sigmoid-slope=10.0
linear-scaling
interpolation

# Video Other #
autofit-larger=100%x95%
deinterlace=auto
loop-file=inf

##################
# audio settings #
##################
volume=20
audio-channels=2
audio-channels=stereo
volume-max=150

##################
# other settings #
##################
title="${path}"
keep-open
hr-seek=always

#############
# Subtitles #
#############
sub-font="Source Sans Pro Semibold"
sub-font-size=50
sub-margin-y=30
sub-color="#FFFFFFFF"
sub-border-color="#FF262626"
sub-border-size=3.2
sub-shadow-offset=1
sub-shadow-color="#33000000"
sub-spacing=0.5

#############
# OSD Rice #
#############
osd-duration=3500
osd-font="Source Sans Pro Semibold"
osd-font-size=25
osd-color="#ffffffff"
osd-border-color="#ff262626"
osd-border-size=1
osd-shadow-offset=1
osd-shadow-color="#33000000"
osd-scale-by-window=no
osd-fractions

# Webm
[extension.webm]
volume=30
cache=no
no-pause
loop-file=yes

Mine too plz thnx
(don't forget the weeb font set in osd-font)
profile=opengl-hq
opengl-shaders="LumaSharpenHook.glsl","KrigBilateral.glsl"

#Spawn the window without waiting for the video
force-window=immediate
#Let it snap to screen edges
snap-window=yes

cache=223400
demuxer-readahead-secs=75
priority=abovenormal

#log-file=svp-mpv-log.txt

title="${filename:(no file open)} (FPS: ${container-fps:N/A}) ~ ${mpv-version}"
screenshot-format=png
volume=80
#prefetch-playlist
#loop-file=inf
#loop-playlist=inf
prefetch-playlist=yes
ytdl-format=303+251/302+251/299+140/bestvideo+bestaudio/best[ext=webm]/best
#ytdl-format=299+140/303+251/302+251/bestvideo+bestaudio/best[ext=webm]/best
cookies
cookies-file="H:\youtube-dl\cookies.txt"
# osd-font=Verdana
osd-font=S2G Love
osd-bold=yes
osd-font-size=59
osd-margin-y=69
osd-scale=0.7
osd-color=1.0/1.0/1.0/0.9
cursor-autohide=150
# Stop stealing media keys from foobar
input-media-keys=no

using IINA, i dig it.

I've been observing these threads always starts with niggerposting alongside the mpv logo.
Is this endorsed by the devs or something? Or is it ironic?
Is it some lonely obssesed niggerfucking making these threads? Does it has anything to do with mpv itself?

Just curious.

>being this triggered over the superior female form

You're just mad all your women are literal pigs on two legs wearing lipstick or 2D Chinese children.

I don't care about mentally ill zoophiles. Just kindly answer the question.

>smug_frog_touching_his_chin.png

Oniichan, why isn't there a finely-tuned anime preset? Why can't mpv devs give us a preset that's fully optimized for anime so we don't have to copy/paste a bunch of config parameters that might or might not work well?

>sexy chick next to your logo
It's basic marketing. Why did you have to bring racism?

America stats doesn't count because it is full of nigger apes and not black people who are more human like facial features.

>""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""sexy"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""chick"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Alright, I'm not here to debate that, does it has something to do with mpv itself? Is this endorsed by the devs or someone relevant to its development? I'm just asking that.

mpv itself might or might not work well, but if you do come up with something that makes anime look better, do share it.

All of them. Your limited to bilinear AFAIK.

It's just a picture to grab peoples attention holy shit how autistic are you

Somehow I think you wouldn't have said anything if it was a white chick.

MPC-BE and fuck comand line elitism...

I kinda missed u.

I just want to know to make a mental note of either "never install this" or "Just a mentally ill OP".
Agreed.

t. brainlet
What the fuck are you even doing on Sup Forums anyways?

So the problem here is not the OP pic, it's just your racism. Glad we resolved this.

Whatever, just want to know if the devs are zoophilic niggerfuckers and this picture is something official or if this is just Sup Forums shit. Because I don't want to use software made by mentally ill xenophilic watermudders, is it clear enough now? I don't want to debate racism here, I just want to know what I asked.

Idk man, I just use media players that work well. Try not to be so triggered.

It has nothing to do with the devs

you can open it from the menu and click and drag files into it if you really want

Black women > white roasties you fucking pleb

Thank you, finally.
see

any of you know how I could reencode a video so that it removes the letterboxd bars? ideally with mkverge...

>taste of the masses
Do you also listen to top-40 stations all day long?

You shouldn't even be using mpv actually. Most people say VLC is the best media player, or whatever comes on Windows 10 or MacOS. So they're the best.

Same argument could be used for eating literal human faeces.

>hurr le plebz
>le masses don't know tasty excrement like me XD
Whatever, degenerate. And yes, VLC is top tier. You are probably a retard that didn't bother to uncheck YUV to RGB conversion in the config.

In Windows it can't even hide title bar in windowed mode. The best? top kek. Pot player or gtfo

>VLC is top tier
VLC is bloat with a fuckton of utilities that you will never use
>YUV to RGB conversion
VLC's problems go beyond that.

remove black bars encoded into the video? it would be better not to reencode as that will degrade the quality. you can try pan and scan with w and e or try the autocrop/crop scripts in the user scripts page linked in OP.
you might be able to add crop metadata to the mkv file with mkvmerge without rencoding (i've not tried it though so no idea how well it works and probably not supported by all players) but i usually just use the autocrop script in mpv because it's a lot quicker and easier.

speaking of black bars, any way for mpv to detect black bars and automatically crop them as needed? There are times when a DVD encode has a 16:9 video letterboxed to 4:3 and, when played on a 16:9 screen, you essentially have a thick black border surrounding your video. madVR has that option but it doesn't always work

>VLC is bloat with a fuckton of utilities that you will never use
>omgfgzfsijad guiseeeeeeeeee muh 5mb bloat, can't spare a single mb from muh 1tb drive

>VLC's problems go beyond that.
>If there is no command line mode, how will I show my madhakkahz skillz xd

So the problem is legacy stuff taking up mbs of space which is literally ridiculous in nowadays hardware and no script kiddie interface?

yeah, thinking hard about just using that script instead. i suppose it triggers me slightly that the actual content is still letterboxd though... how about a remux? or some method that wouldn't alter the video like that?

also do you have any idea on how to bind the autocrop script to a key from input.key?
i don't think you can. i tried setting the autocrop script to launch automatically with the video once but since they generally start with a black-ish screen for a good while it is guaranteed to not recognize the proper ratio and crop it like heck 100% of the time if you leave it this way.

Thanks that's very helpful. The opengl vo doesn't work properly on my old computer and it seems I won't lose much if I just use the xv vo now.

Is there any way to change the position of the volume/seek bars that pop up?

who is this nigres?

in input.conf i use
n script-binding auto_crop

there's an option in autocrop to add a a delay so it doesn't activate on the first frame. read the comments at the top of the .lua file

mpv.io/manual/master/#options-osd-bar-align-y

I'm not talking about command line mode, you fucking tard. I use a frontend myself. Besides, compared to what mpv can do, VLC is pretty limited when it comes to filters that can be applied. Meanwhile, VLC has a fuckton of utilities that any separate software can do. Which is pretty fucking ironic. It's "powerful" in the sense that it can do superfluous shit but it's the most limited for its primary reason: to play video.

>legacy stuff
enjoy your config rot, font cache rebuilds, and your non-ideal frametimes. Removing legacy shit is reducing the chance of an obscure bug affecting your frametimes, giving more allowance for much more powerful rendering filters.

Thanks.

>people are still telling anons to use the deprecated profile

can autocrop only do it once for the entire session of playback? I kinda want it to do so dynamically throughout the video.

Stop niggerposting

>filters
Holy fuck you're retarded, what's the point in watching filtered shit? You fucking memer piece of shit, I don't need 13-years-old-discovers-photoshop-filters-and-applies-them-to-video bullshit. I download proper high quality encodes. Watching filtered anime is literally disgusting and unfaithful to the intended colors and sharpness, everything else you said is a non-issue.

Do you even know what video filters are, you dipshit?

cool thanks

Post an example so we can all laugh at you. Filters manipulate color and sharpness which is what I'm refering to, you cuck.

by the way i still think its a bad idea to automatically trigger autocrop even with delay. if you apply it with all videos therell be problems. try it at any moment of an perfectly cropped video and a decent amount of times you will get at least some 1px lines on the sides removed

>Filters manipulate color and sharpness which is what I'm refering to, you cuck.
You have absolutely no idea what filters are, especially within the context of video processing.

And yet you still haven't fucking explained your magical revelation about what filters are.

Filters alter the original video output, which is what I'm refering to. Are mpv children this deluded? Is mpv the arch of media players?

Are lakzor builds over? Is it time to switch to shinchiro?

Actually one extra question - anyone knows how to remove the OSD message of autocrop? github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/TOOLS/lua/autocrop.lua

>inb4 Cunningham's Law
eat shit, you're just being antagonistic for the sake of being antagonistic
You're asking questions so dumb that the wikipedia article that explains it can't be expanded beyond a stub.

He only builds mpv releases. He said a few times recently he plans on mpv having a new release soon so he'll put out a build then.

>still no arguments
>got absolutely wrecked

Fuck off retard, I'll enjoy my 1080p 10bit FLAC rips straight out of the bluray disk with perfect quality on my perfect VLC media player.

>b-but muh filters
>muh yify tier rips
Kill yourself.

I told you that the wikipedia article that explains it is a fucking stub. You still haven't addressed what it says. You're the retard here.

So you claimed to know what filters are, then I asked you to explain, then I told you what filters are, and then you are now asking me to go to wikipedia, read whatever is on it, and address what it says?

Why are down syndrome "people" allowed on the internet?

It's a fucking stub, no point in reposting that shit here.

You're concept of a filter seems to be limited to the instagam-type of image modification. Try again.

lachs0r coordinates mpv releases to proper ffmpeg stable releases.

What's the current go-to config which features non-destructive video enhancements without devolving into placebo autism?

add "no-osd " before the "vf"s on lines 69 and 90

>le instragram
A filter is something that manipulates the original output of a video. No matter how fedora you want it to sound, it's still shit, because the original output is no longer ORIGINAL, retard.

What's the point in "le media player elitism" if your rips are so fucking hideous they need filters to be palatable? Fucking cucks.

mine

>A filter is something that manipulates the original output of a video.
Filter is a bit of a misnomer, though. Still, your retarded concept of a filter is limited to instagram. Please try again.

>your retarded concept of a filter is limited to instagram.
>still not providing information about what a filter is in his opinion

Alright, taken too much bait, do a proper reply or no more (You)s for (((you))).

Your retarded concept is still limited to the concept of the "instagram filter" where a supposed "original image" is modified before being presented to you. Feel free to read up on the other articles that the article on video filters links to, in order to get a rough idea of how video processing works and why filters can never be removed from a rendering pipeline of a digitally encoded video. VLC has filters too, believe it or not, but they're shit compared to what mpv offers.

What's with the filter tangent in that dumb mpv/vlc debate? Filters barely scratch the surface of why mpv is so much superior.

There's nothing vlc is better at.

He asked for an example, he got it. Pushing him towards wikipedia avoids a dump of information that is essentially a crash course on video processing.

>diz rox
>diz zux
>*fails to provide any arguments*

Nothin personnel, child.

I'm not here to spoonfeed, I've made my mind by comparing both pieces of software, do whatever the fuck you want.
But please refrain from shitposting in these threads.

If you know why you're downloading and why you think 10bit anime is better in the first place, you wouldn't be asking retarded questions in the first place because you would know the principle behind using the h.264 High 10 profile.

>guise i'm actually an expert on ebrythin b-but i w-won't spohnfed u xd
The audiophiles of media players

They're both free software, we really don't gain anything from you using one or the other, especially since you seem to be on the stupider side of the spectrum.

I'm not gonna fucking info-dump an entire crash course on digital video processing because your questions are essentially asking me to do that.
Here are a few things that I will tell, though.
Dithering is a filter and is required, especially with with 10bit unless you want really distorted colors. You would know this if you actually know the reason why 10bit encodes exist in the first place.
Video scalers are a filter and is required if your monitor doesn't match with the video. Considering your stupidity, I wouldn't be shocked if you're viewing your 10bit anime from a 768p screen without realizing the fact that by virtue of having mismatched resolutions, you're already damaging the "original picture", even more so with VLC's default scaler which, I'm assuming, you haven't changed.

Command line is superior to GUI in all aspects.

You're just trying to justify your retarded placebo shit and shit filters while claiming to have a PhD. in Memeplayers but "hehe wont le sponfed".
>Dithering is a filter and is required, especially with with 10bit unless you want really distorted colors. You would know this if you actually know the reason why 10bit encodes exist in the first place.
Irrelevant, both players will do this.
>Video scalers are a filter and is required if your monitor doesn't match with the video. Considering your stupidity, I wouldn't be shocked if you're viewing your 10bit anime from a 768p screen without realizing the fact that by virtue of having mismatched resolutions, you're already damaging the "original picture", even more so with VLC's default scaler which, I'm assuming, you haven't changed.
I watch 1080p rips on a 1080p IPS monitor fullscreen, your move.

I actually don't care much about the placebo shit but I still prefer mpv. It's performant and easily extensible.