Times you listened to Sup Forums and how did it go/turn out for you in the end?

Times you listened to Sup Forums and how did it go/turn out for you in the end?

>Sansa Clip+
just werkz, excellent purchase
>refurb Dell Latitude as a runner-up to older thinkpads
just werkz, excellent purchase
>linux on desktop and laptop
literally the BEST computing decision I have ever made
>LineageOS
pretty good

Told me to install GNU/Linux.
Turned out Sup Forums was right. I wouldn't go back.

>install gentoo
It might be just a meme, and I don't know how many of you actually run it, but it's actually turned out to be a great operating system. So thanks, Sup Forums.

I want to install a Linux OS, but I'm afraid I'm too retarded to use it.

>MacOS is a good operating system but for overpriced machines
Yeah and I'm rich now so no problem
>AI is the hot meme
I do machine learning for a living and it pays handsomely

Buy ThinkPad. I love it.

Chink phone and chink shit in general.
Best purchase I even made.

ATH-M50: Not that bad. I think I've owned them over three years now? The cable has come to the point where it should be replaced, but damn it I don't have the skill to do that. Going to replace soon.
T420 : Served me really damn well. Only owned about a year now, but I'm really happy with this purchase.
Unicomp Model M: Now that the T420 has become my daily system, this is used a lot less, but when I do -- goddamn is this comfy. Expensive as fuck, but I'm happy with it.
OnePlus One: Worst fucking purchase I ever made based on Sup Forums recommendations. What a load of chinese bullshit. No quality to it whatsoever. LineageOS is a complete bugfest on it, too. Went to a used cell shop and picked up an old Samsung flip phone. I have the OPO on hand for situations where I absolutely need tethering or GPS. Even then, using GPS on the OPO crashes like a muther fucker, so I might go pickup a garmin or tomtom one of these days.

I feel like Arch is the litmus test for whether or not you're going to enjoy Linux. Most distros try to protect you from the command line by having a GUI installer, but eventually the cracks start to show and you realize you're expected to maintain your own shit and understand how your system works.

So my recommendation is that you try to install Arch in a virtual machine and see if you like it. Try to read the official wiki and see if you can understand it. What you should take away from this experience is two thing: did you understand what was going on, and did you like it? If not, then you're probably not going to like Linux at all. And that's fine, it's not for everyone.

>loonix maymay
actually pretty good, only thing deterring me from it is lack of apps that i use on the daily on windows
>lineageOS
also good
>LG V20
huge upgrade over my Samsung S5. kinda wish i waited until the V30 came out though

I bought a chinkshit Chuwi tablet.

WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT

>brainlet here, what makes lineageOS inherently better than stock android?

didn't mean to greentext. see why I'm a brainlet?

^^^^ Sup Forums unironically made me buy a thinkpad and it has been the best purchase i have ever made

Things I have used/tried because Sup Forums told me they were good:

>Thinkpads
Great, have a T500 and am very happy with it
>(GNU plus) Linux
Also great, now use Debian as my main OS. Glad to not have to deal with MS's bullshit.
>Gentoo, specifically
didn't care for it, bloat doesn't bother me nearly enough to make me deal with use flags and the like.
>the ITX form factor
hated it. Hard to work on, hard to cool, missed the expandability.
>mice with "perfect" sensors
couldn't tell the difference. and the Logitech one I got never felt right in my hand, its a backup mouse now.
>mechanical keyboards
Very nice, I don't know how people can put up with rubber domes or most laptop chiclets. Big part of what sold me on the Thinkpad above.
>tenkeyless and smaller keyboards
Not so nice, using a numpad is just a way easier way to enter numbers. The space savings aren't really a big deal.
>Yuru Yuri
daisuki~

Sup Forums told me to install Linux so I did tried Mint at job until I realized that I switch to Windows 7 everytime I need to do actual job and not simply browse internet so I abandoned Linux completely.

Just no.
Ubuntu is fine, and all popular software come with instructions to install them through terminal which is literally two or three lines.
My mum doesn't speak good English and isn't computer literate but I think she'll survive on Ubuntu, if Windows/MacOS aren't options. That's how simple it is.
Necessary complexity is fine when you want complete control, but accessibility isn't a bad thing. Ubuntu & it's flavours and Mint got both.

lineage os lets you upgrade to the latest android has to offer without waiting for your shitty manufacturer to pump out an update. it's also very smooth, no lag (in my experience). also has more customization.

I switched from a Macbook to a librebooted x200. I miss gaymes, but I feel like I stood up to Weinstein. He'll still fuck my career, but not my mouth!
I thought Sup Forums was convinced the ATH-M50 was reddit-teir meme garbage? Is it different than the ATH-M50x? that's what I have, it comes with like 3 extra cables...

The more I listen to Sup Forums the more of a paranoid weirdo I become.

But once you drown out the memes, shilling, larping and shitpsoting, Sup Forums dose have some pretty good stuff to say.

wrong, ubuntu is far from perfect. arch is just the litmus test, he doesn't have to stay on it, he can go to ubuntu if he decides he's not afraid of the command line. but if he doesn't like typing in the command line as he will undoubtedly have to do at some point then he won't like ubuntu either.

I'm saving him a lot of time and grief by recommending he figures out whether or not he'll like it by cutting right to what's often perceived as a difficult procedure (when in reality it's no more difficult than maintaining an ubuntu installation and troubleshooting issues on there)

>CyanogenMod/Lineage OS
works just like stock with some improved battery life and withoug Open JewApps
>Install Gentoo
Well not Gentoo in particular but GNU/Linux and it does everything i expect it to do i actually prefer it nowadays over Windows and run it on all my systems
>Thinkpads
Love it, its sturdy and robust plus it respects muh freedoms
>Mechanical Keyboards
I like the clicky sounds, also the Corsait Masterkeys Pro looks pretty simplistic, wich i like

Sup Forums wouldn't recommend anything not worth getting

Not him but while I got pretty scared from Sup Forums revelations, it encounraged me to learn more about Windows so I started to read official documentation about various functions, related sites - and in the end, I know much, MUCH more about Windows usage than I used to have and with little more I could actually try to apply for related job.

So I could say that Sup Forums paranoia was helpful. And I still use Windows.

>get a ThinkPad
Went on Craigslist and a local business that's really friendly towards the community was giving away all of their old laptops to anyone that wanted them, but it was one per person to keep away the assholes that will take a whole truckload and sell them on ebay. I got a Core2 Duo ThinkPad T400. This was back in late 2015. The thing is built like a tank and can be easily serviced and upgraded. I still have it and it works great. Also have an R60, T410, T420, X220, and X230.

>install Libreboot
I installed Libreboot on the T400 and it works well. It's free as in freedoms now and runs Trisquel Linux.

>install Linux
I first tried out Ubuntu and hated it. I eventually found Debian and it worked well but I wanted newer packages and non-free drivers while still having a solid system, so I went with Fedora, which is what I'm using right now.

>get an iPhone
Got an iPhone 6. Fucking horrible in every way. Never again. I threw it in the garbage and bought a Nexus 5 at a local computer store.

>get a Mac
I bought a MacBook Pro 13 inch 2011. Keyboard is nearly unusable and the aluminum housing gets dented really easily. Not the worst laptop I've used but wouldn't buy another one. I also got a Mac Mini 2014 and it's not bad. I still use it and the only Apple accessory I have for it is the trackpad. It's overpriced for what it is but not bad.

It's faster and lighter and gets better battery life. It's also totally stock with no skins or bloat and it has no Google services by default. It's also more secure. It fixed the WPA2 crack and pushed the fix in an update before Google did on their Nexus/Pixel stuff.

>get an iphone
>get a mac
Sup Forums hates these

There are a million shill threads up and I fell for the shilling like a retard.

>thinkpad/latitude
perfect
>HD579
very good
>mech keyboards
browns are nice.
>SSD
holy shit these are amazing

I lurked Sup Forums for a day and bought a thinkpad; one of the best decisions I’ve made

gatekeeper gatekeeper please let me in

fuck arch, just get xubuntu

>install some type of *buntu
>works okay for a week
>shit starts to not work
>"WTF Sup Forums YOU SAID LINUX JUST WORKS WHY DO I HAVE TO TYPE IN A COMMAND LINE IN 2017!!!!!!"
Yeah no. I'd rather not have another one of those threads.

>GNU/Linux
No regrets
>LineageOS
No regrets
>Mechanical keyboard
Coming in the mail
>Flawless sensor mouse
Coming in the mail

>works okay for a week
>shit starts to not work
this never happened to me

Congrats, you're one of the lucky few.

virtual box gnu and try to do everything you normally do in it without issues before you install it full time. If you're serious about learning gnu+Linux read 'The Linux Bible' over winter break. Trust me you won't regret it in the long run.

Bad advice. Use a normal distro for a while and slowly get comfortable with the terminal before trying to install arch. If I had immediately gone from windows to arch I wouldn't have taken Linux seriously as it was rather difficult for me the first time.

Yeah, your post seems to be the conventional wisdom on Sup Forums, but there are way too many posts showing that it just doesn't work. Better to cut the bullshit and go straight to the command line to see if he can handle it. If not, then at least he won't waste anymore time on something he won't like in the long run.

>TKL Gateron mech

Thank you Sup Forums