Hey Sup Forums im making my own imageboard which is open source on github...

Hey Sup Forums im making my own imageboard which is open source on github, i wont release a link on here yet and i was wondering what kind of features would you like to see on a imageboard? Im currently working on its design and i am taking down notes on what should be implemented.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/NubbbZ/NyaaChan
discord.gg/XX4mdMv
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalability
medium.com/unboxd/how-i-built-an-app-with-500-000-users-in-5-days-on-a-100-server-77deeb238e83
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Up vote system

show posters ip

Minimum length for OP's post
Originality check for posts

Might be interesting if it's just a number and doesn't control what goes to the top

Fishy data mining scripts which disable the site's CSS and images when you block them.

Thanks for this much il keep it on file, i bet your curious how it looks so heres a pic of the home page, also mind that there would be changes but this is the general idea and its a weeb style imageboard but it will be changed maybe into the future.

It being not php or perl would be a good feature.

>just use printscreen senpai
>windows

There is literally nothing wrong with Perl.

stopping the project after 2 seconds
voting without an impact sounds pretty neat though

better tools against ban evasion and people who intentionally shit up threads on subjects they don’t like

I was going to write it in php. Why not?

Make a way to have it be invite-only.

>Hey Sup Forums im making my own imageboard which is open source on github,
you wanna host ANOTHER place for faggots to congregate and talk about anime? that's what it's gonna be used for and all your users are gonna be so annoying and they'll probably come up with all sorts reasons to hate you

why would you want this

regardless of whether it gets used or not, making a full fledged imageboard as a proof of concept is an excellent project to cut your teeth on. i did the same a few years ago

I could care less, i just want to do this for fun and legit be in control of the weebs who use it!

If we leave memes out of the discussion, the major problem with PHP is that every existing imageboard is PHP, so there's a lot of reinventing here.

That doesn't mean you can't use it as a learning experience.

whatever, here's the link to the source. github.com/NubbbZ/NyaaChan if anyone wanna help just contact me through the discord group discord.gg/XX4mdMv

the tech knowledge is all well and good, if you're doing it for fun then by all means

I am making this so i could learn more about php and website design, but also so that I would someday when I get its base design and implementations done, I would release it as my own actual imageboard.

PHP is objectively bad for many reasons, just use something that is not THAT bad, e.g. python, Ruby, JavaScript, hipsterlangs like Haskell

here what I got for now, id really love more ideas!
>Up-Vote System "Voting Without Impact" "Vote Good Or Bad"
>Show Posters IP "Country Flag"
>Minimum length for a posts/threads
>Originality check for posts/threads
>Invite Only Threads
>System that would protect website from Banned IPs
>System that would delete troll posts or threads

Post mama's folder.

>chrome

I don't think you want just an upvote system. I think you want something more complex which integrates both votes and sharing across your platform with friends. Of course that is no longer an image board in the classical sense but it's better, more powerful, more interactive with users..

Hope that comes along some day.

how to ruin an image board in 1 feature
how to end free speech and equality in 1 feature

Heres whats inside, i still live with my mother so she uses my google account on a other pc at home.

Russkiy

Just saying user, who are you hoping to compete with?
Sup Forums is the only viable image board. Yours will be visited by no one.
You would need to convince millions that your new recently established board with toaster servers is better than the long standing well established Sup Forums.
Instead of making an imageboard, just make the forum software and sell that. Just a tip :)

my mother is Ukranian, she knows Russian and polish but I was born in Canada, so I kinda understand Russian, somewhat but I can't read any text.

I can understand a bit, but only because i used to live near the eastern border of finland. We used to have lots of tourists but they kinda diminished in amount after that crimea shit went down.

Got fired from my shitty retail gig as a result, which i'm quite happy about in retrospect. I ended up moving to a different part of the country to work in IT. Entry level stuff but i'm not complaining.

Why the fuck did i even write a reply this detailed?

that sounds good, and I honestly had no interest in competing with any other website, I just wanted to make it and put it out on the web. and why would anyone buy it if there is many open source software like this unless the design is completely different and features are also different, just to say I also have no clue where to sell it being that its open source [temp idk]

haha, i love reading this kind of stuff. and just to point it out there I am not a supporter of that stupid Crimea stuff, i actually love Putin lol, i think hes a bad ass!

Dont do open source. Your putting in hours to make software. If anyone else wants it for free they have to remake it from scratch unless they had your code.
People dont want to work. They will gladly pay if your product is good.

But who are those people?

BTW I modified the group to be general Sup Forums and base for the imageboard im making so come and join. sry if im begging! discord.gg/XX4mdMv

>discord

Pretty much noone.
But you want to make imageboard software.
Thats what your passionate about.
So it doesnt matter that there is no demand.
It just matters that you give yourself a chance to benefit from it.
Plus, after you make it, you can use it yourself to make your own imageboard.
The only difference is if anyone else wants to use it they have to pay you.

Software being proprietary makes it objectively worse and less comfy.

pay me, why. i bet i could find a service offering free web hosting.

add a paint image, where everyone in the community can add to it.
Like those community doodle sites.
theres that one video of a guy going to a bunch of those boards are drawing the "rattle me bones" thing.

base it off of blockchain technology

have a way to identify spammers, but don't include captcha

word filters

>word filters
>word filters
>word filters
go back too reddit boards are ruined because people dont have the freedom to say a damn word.

make an animation board

where images are compiled into animations

community cartooning!

make it .gif only or msPaint only images

>I am making this so i could learn more about php and website design

>code scrub making ugly-fuck PHP code

Thread's over, you literally don't have the fucking ability to make anything of value. Maybe try learning how to do FizzBuzz first.

Ive made a very simple textboard before so i think i can manage to make an imageboard!

Good luck user

Would keep retards out. Bonus points of it shows hostname.

I was thinking of using the visitors ip adress as ID to mange bans and stuff like that but not showing it public as it would make the website not anonymous anymore.

go back to twitter/reddit/imgur/instagram/facebook or whatever hell you are from

a community

i feel like number of replies is already a good indicator for which posts would be upvoted idk

idk better to make some ugly PHP code than sitting around doing jack shit

just implement basic features (post, reply, deletion of posts, threads, image uplaod). if there will ever be a community people will ask for new features. don't put too much effort in guessing what faggots could want. i think it would be better to build it around a topic like a game or something so visitors come with a a special task in mind (like with taxis "i need a ride from a to b").

plox have loli board also can we have the address incase we dont see it when you do wanna release it

> Originality check for posts

p2p imageboard.

Boards are created by users; but only when the parent board (though the boards don't stay in heirarchy) reaches a particular post-speed threshhold (which can be verifiable by any client). The name of the board is decided by vote before the threshhold is reached, or some other such group-think measure. Again, clients should be capable of verifying some consensus. Other board properties like post cool-down, aesthetics like flags, default posting name, email fields would be decided in the same manner.
Clients in the network share board information, clients on a board share the threads, and clients in a thread share the posts.
Spamming clients get shut down by their local nodes, naturally

maybe a bit too complicated, why not a standard imageboard (homepage and board hosted on a server) but, post are p2p
sound way more simple right? or i am being retarded?

Pushing new posts to users via WebSockets

more simple, but I don't trust anybody to host a website.

>number of replies is already a good indicator for which posts would be upvoted
>what is bait
I really want to see an anonymous imageboard with some kind of a voting system.
There must be some point between imageboards and reddit that's better than both.
Sup Forums is suffering because boards are unable to moderate themselves.

it would be at nyaachan.tk free domain but better than nothing.

well if you arent giving the link why should i help?

I've told the link to the GitHub page on here before but here github.com/NubbbZ/NyaaChan

>taking picture of screen with phone

btw ive made a discord group for general Sup Forums and this imageboard that im working on, if your interested join. and we got one user here already. discord.gg/XX4mdMv

>its a weeb style imageboard
>changed maybe into the future
It is fine the way it is.

thanks, my idea is to make an imageboard with many topics but weeb styled.

i think I've got the general idea of design done so, onwards to PHP.

>what kind of features would you like to see
ads that serve malware and connect to sketchy domains with scripts that break the CSS if you try to protect yourself

mods who actually deal with shitposting

that would be me or any fags that i trust that would not abuse the system!

Please make it crypto currency to post. Basically all threads and replies will require x amount of btc to post and you need to link your wallet.

would you post on the website user?

Yes

why?

Join the discord group of Sup Forums discord.gg/XX4mdMv

oi vey

Nobody knows.

add push. i hate the update cycles of the le update checkbox here

Some decent god damn CSS, go easy though

fuck off

>what are disincentives

That is the fastest way to have a dead board, nobody would want to give up their BTC

This.
Deployment sucks, compared even to node.

>submit post
>post & btc transaction pending for at least a day

>(((discord)))
>doesn't even know how to take a screenshot
>never worked on anything web or security-related before

>Upvote-system
Fuck no, never this, fuck reddit to hell

Upvotes and downvotes make sense as a replacement for
>(You)
and
>This.
posts. It's the exact same thing except you click a button instead of wasting a post toward the bump limit.

those where just ideas I got from other anons, il actually decide later on what to implement and i will first ask you guys whether to add it or scrap the idea. as id love to get weebs on there, also that discord group is mine, ive made it for you anons would join. discord.gg/XX4mdMv

here the basic thread list, remember its just a base design, as the design will change and features will be added!

you can just buy a domain for a couple of bucks, I bought mine on freenom.com

how are you designing for scale?

the thing is, im poor as fuck, and im not interested in spending money on something no one would use, maybe a few weebs would use it but its not going to make money unless they donate!

? you mean how am i designing it to look all the same on every size of screen?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalability

Real time post updating

medium.com/unboxd/how-i-built-an-app-with-500-000-users-in-5-days-on-a-100-server-77deeb238e83

right now I'm just simply designing it to work, when I get its functions working and such il make a release, and the next goal would be to scale it to a bigger level, making it faster and more efficient.

il read that later, thanks for sharing

Keep working user, if it has a neat design i would not mind shitposting on your Sup Forums

Yo this! Would make threads feel more alive.
Thats the big thing with forums imo. If it feels vibrant and active, it encourages people to stay and engage.

thanks, shitposting is considered bad but id love people to that so the website would get allot of people there!