Is there a version of this out there without a cosmic assload of botnet...

Is there a version of this out there without a cosmic assload of botnet? Preferably one that has support for modern addons, eg. uBlock Origin.

Other urls found in this thread:

directory.fsf.org/wiki/IceCat
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

A bunch of Firefox forks, such as Waterfox and Pale Moon.

I hear waterfox still has botnetty features, and I used to use PaleMoon, but I'm sick of how slow and shitty it is 100% of the time, also poor addon support.

Icecat
directory.fsf.org/wiki/IceCat

IceCat is cool and all, but I can't get it to compile, and it's also old/slow.

>can't get it to compile
that sucks. I wonder why?
>old
It follows ESR
>slow
It should get faster within the first half of next year, when ESR moves to Firefox Quantum

Okay. That sounds awesome, will check out when that happens. Sticking to ungoogled chromium 62 until then.

Reposting some stuff from the link for lazynons

GNU IceCat aim to be based on the the current official release of Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) with removal of trademarked artwork and proprietary components.

Important differences between Mozilla's Firefox and GNU IceCat is that IceCat has a focus on freedom and privacy (see settings.js for details).

EME is not implemented: Whereas Firefox are being created such that they support Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) systems through their implementation of the Encrypted Media Extension (EME), GNU IceCat doesn't include an EME implementation as it opposes efforts to popularize and ease the dissemination of DRM technology.
IceCat is configured with: WebRTC disabled
Telemetry is disabled.

So around May 8th?

Yep! that's the idea.

I mean they were very late on getting from 45 to 52, but I don't think that will happen this time, as they seem to be actually getting to wok on the transition to WebExtension and all that.

>I hear waterfox still has botnetty features
Care to elaborate?

>poor addon support
Most of the time you just need to install a previous versions of the addon. Besides, the only three that matter are ublock origin, umatrix, and greasemonkey.

Something I picked up from here, I don't remember the details, but apparently, there are settings from regular firefox on by default that are botnetty, and they carry over to waterfox. I don't typically risk anything as far as a leak is concerned, so I didn't bother remembering what was said.

Original post says "modern addons" not outdated, possibly vulnerable addons.

I never said it was perfect, just that all things considered Palemoon is still better than the alternatives.

Palemoon's devs made Basilisk, another Firefox fork that tries to be relatively not-too-ancient. Just don't forget to disable Google's Safebrowsing ("Block dangerous and deceptive content").

And Privacy Badger, and HTTPS Everywhere

Sure for HTTPS Everywhere, but Privacy Badger is redundant if you already have ublock origin & umatrix.

Firefox is botnet now?

Yes.
MITI, Cliqz, and now most recently Looking Glass.

True, but I like redundancy. :)