Why are Confederate flags tolerated at all in the United States, yet alone flown at federal and state buildings...

Why are Confederate flags tolerated at all in the United States, yet alone flown at federal and state buildings? They were a hostile power, just like Imperial Japan or WW Germany, a war was fought with them which resulted in hundreds of thousands of deaths

Other urls found in this thread:

law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/700
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The north invaded the south, not the other way around. Also the Weimar Republic dissolved before Germany did any aggressive acts.

Dumb dundee poster

It's freedom, you can also go around with a communist or nazi flag and it's fine.

epic

>Union jack being integral to many former colonies' flags

the south invaded the north on a couple of occasions. The south was also still technically considered part of the untied states

nice empire hans lmao

>. The south was also still technically considered part of the untied states
>untied states
untied
n
t
i
e
d

>A fucking Cuckstamp

>be irish
>build entire economy on farming potatoes
>never bother learning to grow anything else
>forget how to grow potatoes
>starve

The confed. flag is still allowed just like the swastika. It's so you can easily spot stormniggers and stay away from them

Then why do Americans get upset about seeing Mexican flags Joao? OP does actually have a legit question in what concerns flags patronized by state governments.

This.

That's what I say. The Confederate flag is LITERALLY an enemy flag. It should be on par with flying a Nazi Germany or Imperial Japan flag. The mental gymnastics that hillbilly niggers go through to justify flying the Confederate flag is amazing.

Are confederate flags still flown from any government buildings? I know georgia has their edgy flag, but i thought obama banned all the official ones.

Reminder that the South is the reason ShitLanta is a popular

In my opinion, I respect the first amendment, but I hate the confederate flag.

in my view, it's the equivalent of a communist flag, a nazi flag etc.

Gives us an indicator as to who is an absolute bigot/ authoritarian cuck.

Is it forbidden to go around with a Mexican flag? No.

I like how you use "bigot" and "authoritarian" as if they're insults

The ones people got all pissy about weren't even confederate flags. It was a bunch of people who heard a story from an uneducated black woman and ran it.

Im a northerner living in the south, i know ppl who have confederate flags and they get along well with black ppl they work with. Flying the confederate flag doesn't necessarily mean you are a racist. It means you're a redneck.

I think it's silly but after living here I am not going to hate someone for flying it.

Mostly butthurt southerners, 2bh.

Because it's a fucking flag and we have freedom of expression.

If you fly/display a confed flag, you're a dumbass.

It means you take pride in your ancestor's role in the only country that ever came close to destroying America after 1776, despite being an American

>can't burn an american flag
>b-but freedom of expression

really makes you think

if you look at it with pure logic, yeah, but there are a lot of mental gymnastics that take place here, like i said ppl that fly them are dumbasses and rednecks but i wont hate them for it

u can certainly burn an american flag, de facto at least, what's not certain is if youre going to get your ass kicked or not

Because it looks cool

>It was a bunch of people who heard a story from an uneducated black woman and ran it.

Explain this meme. The confederate flag has been on southern government buildings for a long time recently.

>de facto
De jure

law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/700

such freedom

wasnt sure and im too drunk to look it up

I mean
>until recently.

yah and its also illegal to sneeze on a train in some states, did you not process when i said de facto or what?

Because we have the freedom of expression you freedom hating faggot. We can fly any flag we want to.

Supreme court ruled flag desecration as being protected by the first amendment.

>Despite never having historically represented the Confederate States of America as a country, nor officially recognized as one of its national flags, the rectangular Second Confederate Navy Jack and the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia are now flag types commonly referred to as "the Confederate Flag". They both have become a widely recognized symbol of the Southern United States. It is also known as the "rebel flag", "Dixie flag", and "Southern cross" and is often incorrectly referred to as the "Stars and Bars".

Put simply, it's not the fucking Confederate flag. Georgia's current state flag is literally the Stars and Bars but apparently no one gives a shit.

Only Mississippi's flag incorporates it into its own flag as of 2016, and we all know how quality of a state it is.

Thats ok. Have a nice, drunk evening sir.

>he doesn't realize unconstitutional laws are still on the books unless actively repealed

Isn't that a technicallity? For all practical purposes it is meant as a representation of the confederacy. If you tattoo an 88 on yourself not a lot of people are going to buy it you're doing it because is the perfect number of ice cream flavors.

Honestly it was due to the failure of reconstruction. The Union tried to rebuild the south and tried to make it more like the north, but halfway through they were like fuck it we're too busy trying to develop industry than give a fuck what backwards savages do and proceeded to just ignore the south, which we still do to this very day.

Indeed, which further displays the historical stupidity of Confederate flag wavers.

Well, there was also the Compromise of 1876, in which the Republicans insisted that Hayes become President in a proto-2000 situation, and avoid a costly recount in exchange for Reconstruction to end.

This is the best response in this thread actually

The south is the fat of this nation and we would be better off without them.

So basically what you're saying is this isn't so much meant as racism but as WE WUZ pride?

Yeah, the white version of WE WUZ

What's the difference between white trash and ghetto niggers?

For all practical purposes, the Confederacy hasn't existed for 150 years, so who gives a shit if some rednecks want to fly a handsome flag that at no point in history actually represented the Confederate States?

Skin color, and also the former tend to live in the country while the latter live in the city.

it's quite obvious

Well you kangaroo fucker, the "confederate flag" was just a battle flag for the southern states. This is the actual confederate flag. So the one you're referring to is usually just a symbol of southern culture now

Basically. yeah.
WE WUZ REBELS AND SHIT.
ANTEBELLUM SOUTH BEST SOUTH
WAR OF NORTHERN AGGRESSION
SHERMAN WAS WORST CARPETBAGGER etc.

Literally nothing.
Look up culture of honor and southern cooking.
Nigger culture literally came from Scot Irish hillbillies.

>a fucking austrian flag with a european union canton

Its because we actually have freedom of speech and expression

The South literally started it at every single stage up to the point where they fired on Fort Sumter because they just couldn't stand those evil Union soldiers having a snack. No the Fort did not rightfully belong to them as they lack the right to succeed without the consent of Congress. The South also literally invaded the North several times, ex. Gettysburg, I believe there was a campaign aimed at Maryland, etc.

KEK

>a fucking NZ flag with white stars

Yeah Reconstruction was basically done for by the end of 1876 regardless. Either Tilden wins and fights to end it or Hayes accepts the compromise and ends it.

A bunch of states took it down from public buildings and property. There's a few holdouts, but the trend is irreversibly moving towards it vanishing from being flown by public entities.

Quite a shame, really. It wouldn't be for another 90 years that Blacks really got many of the rights promised to them during Reconstruction,

You will now realize that one day Austria will have the Stars and Bars as its flag

WHAT A BUNCH OF NEO NAZI SCUM, UGH

Well, it is South of Germany

Mississippi's flag still has the confederate battle flag on it. Georgia's flag is a version of the stars and bars, the confederate national flag.

STOP IT OR ELSE I WILL SHART OUT OF ANGER FAGGOT

ThisAlso, Obama and the Federal Government do not have that power outside of Federal Property

The Civil War has been over for 150 years. Do you think people will still be upset over the rising sun flag in 70 years? Probably not. Nazi flag is a little difference because its motivating ideology still exists.

China and Korea have existential anxiety over the Rising Sun and that's not going to end any time soon

Wall of text coming.

Contrary to the sound bytes you always hear, the American civil war was not about slavery. Listen to what Abe Lincoln had to say in 1862:

"If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union." -Abraham Lincoln, letter to Horace Greely

The issue at hand was that north was developing wealth and industrial power, and using its power and majority to lord over and exploit the south. The federal government was gaining power over the states and taking liberties it did not have any right to. America was originally supposed to be a loose confederacy of country-like states, united together for mutual benefit, like the Greek Delian league. The southern Democratic Republican party did not like the idea of a strong central government, while the northern Fedralist party did. People fought tooth and nail over the issue of states rights, and the final compromise favored the south. As population and power shifted north, however, the government started getting too strong, and stopped minding its original place.

The south, seeing this happen and recognizing Lincoln as a sort of Julius Caesar, legally elected to separate themselves into their own distinct country. They had the right to do this, especially considering this passage in the declaration of independence:

"That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, -That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." -Declaration of Independence

This is the south's side, and I believe they were morally right in their choice. While morally correct in the immediate, allowing the south to separate was an ill advised decision, and Lincoln was wise in denying them their right. While slavery was certainly a popular issue, it was not the one that pushed the north to go to war. Rather, it was the fact that, due to cotton exports, southern independence was supported by England. England wanted cotton, and also doubtless knew that the Confederacy would be easy to re-colonialize if it was split from the north. Once the south was their bitch, England could then take the north. Think about what England was doing in the 1860's, is it hard to imagine.

Lincoln made the correct choice, but was assassinated before he could bring everything full circle. He was replaced by simpler minded people who did not see the grand scope of the situation as he did, and decided the south should have to pay for the war. Reconstruction followed, antagonizing the north and south far more than the war did. Northerners called carpet baggers came to exploit southerners in any way they could, the economic void left by slavery's demise allowed horrors like crop sharing (a form of wage slavery) to happen. The modern hatred of black people, the scapegoat, began.

This is why the south is poor, racist, and hates the north. They love their flag because it represents spitting in the face of their oppressor.

TLDR? just skip me then, the civil war is too complicated to be summarized.

nothing, niggers learned everything from them, whenever you see a nigger act out, know his southern masters taught him to do that.

Dixicucks try and distance themselves from it but anyone not retarded catches on quick,

Yes, it was about slavery, under the guise of "states' rights", which was specifically about whether states had a right to have legal slavery.

Then how do you explain the part where Lincoln explains he doesn't give a shit about slavery?

Lincoln didn't decide what the war was about. If you don't understand that, you're hopeless.

sigh..