Am I crazy for wanting to get a base iMac Pro for casual home use and gaming?

Am I crazy for wanting to get a base iMac Pro for casual home use and gaming?

Previously I wanted to get an iMac. I wanted 5k resolution, decent specs and I also wanted the comfort of MacOS and all the perks of being in the Apple ecosystem:

>iMessage on my computer, cloud syncing with all my Apple devices, can make calls from my computer as it’s synced to my iPhone

Problem is gaming and while the iMac will perform alright, it won’t do well for more demanding games down the road due both to its specs and the potential for throttling

The iMac pro seems to fix these issues with both better specs and much better thermals.

It also has some really nice other perks, like 10 gb/s internet and one of the fastest SSDs available on the market.

I could build a PC for less but there will be compromises (have to hackintosh, which defeats the purpose of getting comfy macOS, not to mention that if you built a PC with the same parts it would cost the same as the iMac Pro)

>gaming

I'm pretty sure native windows + an nvidia gpu setup would beat the $13k most expensive imac in gaming.

so, if you are retarded, go for it lol

>9A42CFEC-5C6A-4F30-86E9-5
We meet again, phoneposter baiting for (you)s.
Janis should start banning you on sight, this already became spam.

>plebbit spacing

You can make a 8700K and Titan V PC with the same money. Now you can game while training your own waifu2x at home

Not crazy, just retarded.
>5k
No setup will pull this off, especially not mac's setup.
>10gbit
Irrelevant to gaming.
>ssd
Irrelevant to gaming.

it just works, but plain imac is just fine.
get the pro if you can afford it
even runs modern games without throttling for me

thank you for your input pajeet, I will consider """buying a fucking imac for gaming""""

Wait for the new modular Mac Pro.

Oh wow this thread again.

Why does apple pr think they can gauge Sup Forums

maybe hiro sold them the userdata and they realised there are many mac user agaenst (I'm for instance using hackintosh)

but I'dont plan on buying their overpriced shit designed by retards

I said base level, not the 13k setup

>beat it for gaming

Yes, if my ONLY purpose for using the computer was gaming, the Mac would be a terrible choice

However the other benefits (5k, great quality SSD, macOS and apple ecosystem) are benefits this has over a classic gaming rig.

You are a fucking retard

>irrelevant for gaming
>irrelevant for gaming

I didn’t say gaming was the only reason for buying this PC. I said it was ONE reason among others. Learn to fucking read.

Won't use 8 core Xeon with ECC ram even low clock Xeon 8c will be slow on home/gaming task over i7 4c, use Vega 56 or 64 as performance 1070,1080 without support gaming,next nvidia generation middle tier GPU will nuke amd vega.

But MacBook Pro with external 5K display or average iMac 27, had same

>However the other benefits (5k, great quality SSD, macOS and apple ecosystem)

Just add external TB3 card graphic or second PC gaming rig, begin better options, today even iPhone or iPad will replace Mac as home user case.

wait a year.
Never buy the first generation of any Apple product, there are allways serious issues.

Why the big bezel? Would the screen melt otherwise?

Incapable of generating uuid imagem filenames on your chinkpad? Time so switch.

An iMac isn't so bad, I used one for years and it was great for gaming Cod4 and whatnot. But over time you may feel you could do better since you obviously are aware of how computers work and what things Apple does incorrectly.

I would recommend a hackintosh, which I think would be comfier than you think as they've become significantly more stable over the years and all that you will have to do it delay firmware updates every now and then until you hear it doesn't break anything.

Also, the iMac Pro may be relatively on par with PC parts in terms of price, but I promise you this is an extremely temporary state, and the PC parts will be much cheaper soon.

reminder to hide all apple shilling

>buying a $5000 computer because you want to play games on a $450 gpu and $1200 monitor
>playing games on a fucking xeon
>no vulkan support, the thing amd wants your gpu to run on
>can't play a lot of games

You could build an amazing hackintosh for probably half the money, and have something you can dual-boot into Windows to game without it burning up. Also God help you if something breaks on the iMac. You'll be without a computer for a week and if you're unlucky, end up with a pretty steep repair bill to boot. It's not a very practical computer for most people at all.

Posted from my rMBP

>Am I crazy for wanting to get a base iMac Pro for casual home use and gaming?
Yes, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Yes, you're crazy for wanting to buy a Mac. Trips confirm it.

Tbh the long wait and the price is worth it for the knowledge that an apple genius is taking good care of my Mac.

moshi moshi beito desu

>go to lunch at the foodcourt in the local mall
>see apple genius sitting by himself
>feel a little bad so get my taco bell, burger king, cinnabons, mcdonalds, subway tray
>sit with him
>"could you pass the sodium chloride, please?"
>wat
>"the salt"
>mfw

PEOPLE SELL READY TO USE HACKINTHOSH PCS ON EBAY, YOU COULD GET A PC WITH MAC OS AND A GTX 1060 FOR LESS THAN 1000

How would one build one that is as silent as a Mac Pro? I have one at work and I think I've never heard it, the fan is idle at all times even when I have 3 VMs open and rendering or compiling stuff.
My pc is pretty loud even when I'm doing nothing. I need to upgrade anyway, a silent build would be nice.

I think you can arguably get a standard iMac and use an external GPU for similar benefits at a much lower cost.

>to me
You literally just sent a fake email to yourself.

BUT THIS ONE IS SPACE GREY! WHY WON'T YOU BUY IT?

>Using any operating system but Windows for gaming

>buy iMac
>literally the only good thing about it is the screen
>use external graphics card with external screen instead
>alternatively push 4K or 5K at 60Hz through your shitty little cable and murder performance

SIMILAR?
>VASTLY slower SSD
>External GPU limited to like 2x PCI-E
>4 less CPU cores
>Ugly overdone silver
>that poor sensation using it, knowing you could have gotten the PRO
>similar

Oh, external GPUs can't be used with the internal display? that kinda blows.

Yes you are.

Get yourself a sexy 32" thin edge 4K monitor and get yourself a top tier PC rig in a mITX case that can be mounted to the back of the monitor, and hag it on a wall mount flush to the wall add to that some wireless logitech peripherals.

You will have an experience superior to the macshit in every aspect for less than half the price.
Hell you could even install mac OS on it.

Mac isn't even a good fucking computer why would you want it?

macbook pro plus egpu. you won't regret it.

The thing is if you build a PC with the same specs as a base level iMac Pro it will cost 4.7k. Even if you use a 4K monitor instead of 5k it will still cost 4K. And there’s still some small things in the PC that are missing like ECC RAM.

So I’m doubtful of these claims that you could build an equally powerful PC for half the price. Sure, if you got cheaper components, didn’t insist on the super fast SSD etc you could build a better PC for gaming but you are making sacrifices elsewhere.