a-are you alright italy-chan ;___;

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Christchurch_earthquake
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

who gives a fuck gaylord people die every day lmao

>just 6.7 on the richter scale

literally nothing

>247
do you realise that more than 247 people die in italy every day?

>mfw 6.2 earthquake in Italy

Holy fuck, is that normal? Stay safe, italo-bros.

>My reaction

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA how the fuck do so many of them die to such a weak fucking earthquake

They deserved it, revel in the butthurt over this for as long as you can

That's the downside to having a bunch of old brick buildings. That's what collapses in California too.
Also your an asshole and your parents, more likely parent, maybe grandma (because your mom is a drug addict) or what ever the fuck raised you should be ashamed.

>actually shitposting while wearing poopy mart pants

And they give us shit for building our houses out of wood. So much for brick buildings lmao, get fucked

Earth never stopped moving
It's like being on a boat and I fucking live 160km from the epicenter

We're pretty shocked by the high casualties here. Hope it doesn't get much worse m8

That is what happens when politicians prioritize historical buildings over people.

By designating some area as some cultural icon or historical significance, you just add a shitload of expenses and red tape to that area if you ever want to do upgrades or renovations.

And you know what the super ironic thing is, if the Ancient Romans or Ancient Europeans had access to our science and technology today, they would have preferred our modern wood, steel, glass, etc buildings over their brick, straw, clay buildings built using their ancient methods any day of the week because our buildings are stronger and much more resistant to the elements, including earthquakes.

This is why construction work is always fucking slow in Europe.

For example, in England, it takes fucking forever to build a new parking lot because it feels like you keep unearthing a never before discovered grave of an English king, setting back construction projects for months.

As for the rest of Europe, they hate skyscrapers and tall buildings in general.

That is because they prioritize their hundreds of year old buildings over modern human's safety.

If buildings were allowed to be tall as much as they want in Europe, more land space would be used more efficiently.

Not only that but part of the biggest reason European sewage networks are so fucking shit is because due to all the red tape of historical buildings and shit, it would be insanely expensive to do a full modern upgrade of all the sewage networks in one go.

In the end, this results in not being allowed to flush toilet paper down the toilet in certain European countries because the sewage network can't handle it.

There really needs to be a debate in Europe about historical buildings one day.

At some point, humans will have to take priority over your 300 year old brick buildings.

Ever read that Ozymandias Poem?

European Civil Engineers and Politicians could learn a lesson from that poem.

We had those victims because this weekend in some of those cities it had to be a festival about pasta all'amatriciana (from amatrice). Some tourists from different cities already were there before this festival even begun . If this happened in July or September there would be much less victims

Also, hope Italy stops getting aftershocks.

And damn shame, the most affected are pretty mountainous areas.

I heard many areas could only be accessed by helicopters.

WHERE'S YOUR POPE NOW CATHOSHITS

HAHAHAHAHA

i know that feel bro, i live like 200km far from the epicenter... if you don't live in an old building you don't have to be afraid...

Is it common to practice earthquake drills in Italy?

In America, it is pretty common.

What was it like?

That is why I don't understand why anyone would want to live in New York, coming from an America.

More than half of New York buildings fail current building codes since they are shit from the 1940s and it would be way too expensive to upgrade all of them to current standards.

This is why how 5 centimeters of rain devastated the New York subway a few years back.

All these old infrastructure falling more and more apart over the years yet it feels like every year, more and more buildings get designated for historical significance.

This obsessions with nostalgia is really harmful in my opinion.

He is somewhere sucking on immigrant feet.

You're generalising far too widely. You mention England but the main reason construction takes so long is because we have some of the most rigorous safety standards in the world. Yes conservation is a big deal, but the public are happy to make this trade off - the British public care a lot about conservation. However, something that's never compromised is safety. You are drawing the wrong conclusions.

t. worked across the construction industry in London

Btw I can't speak for other European countries but I'm fairly sure that most of our neighbours have similar rigorous safety standards

In the case of Italy there's a limited amount they can do considering the location of these existing old buildings and the sheer number of them. A major issue in this earthquake is that it happened in a mountainous area

Buildings fallen are medieval buildings and houses built before seismic criteria law, just newer ones are still intact with some damages
Yes we do during school. But is not taken so serious. Cities in danger are those on the Apennine chain

im i've just felt my bed moving because it was at 3 am.. but nothing more... i went back to sleep 1 min later

Speaking of the mountain area, those people are living in areas formerly intended to be Fortresses as well against invaders.

This is why it is such a super pain in the ass to rescue them because those fucking ancients purposely made the area a pain in the ass to invade and travel too.

They don't want enemy foot soldiers to enjoy invading their fortress after all.

My bed shakes like a water bed and it causes some nausea probably because I am not used to it

Maybe a water bed is exaggerated but I feel the earth moving like on a big boat on calm waters

sheever is perfection

Jesus Christ in a proper developed country like New Zealand or Japan the death toll is never nearly this much, get your shit together Italy it's not even "terrone" land

I think experts have stated European countries like France have the mistaken belief they are immune to earthquakes though since France is confident in building in so many nuclear reactors.

This affects the citizens because they see all those nuclear reactors and believe experts deem France resistant to earthquakes enough to the extent that it can handle having all those nuclear reactors being built in their nation.

Good riddance. The world is a little better all the more for it.

>in a proper developed country like New Zealand
>implying

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Christchurch_earthquake

>185 deaths

tfw you're country is Italy-tier, without even the culture or history to compensate

When you don't feel shakes you know it's happening because all dogs start barking at the same time

Japan got wrecked by the tsunami more than the earthquake.

Modern science and technology still isn't good enough to fight back against tsunamis.

The tsunami even overturned experts' predictions since they ended up being taller than all the Sea Walls that Japan had prepared beforehand.

In Vas Por

Nuclear reactors are meant to be resistant to all but the most severe of earthquakes. I'm not very knowledgeable about nuclear reactors but I do know that one reason for the delays in EDF's reactor designs are the extreme safety precautions which they bake into it

You may be right in your description.

Earthquakes are powerful enough to liquefy the fucking ground, itself.

The release of gas and pressure can turn solid ground into feeling like mud.

>M6.2
>247 deaths

wtf…

The main gist of my post was that with so many nuclear reactors being built, it makes French citizens mistakenly believe that earthquakes in France will be a non concern since it seems France has so much land safe enough for nuclear reactors.

Good luck Super Mario Bros. We sent some aid ourselves, hope more people are found alive and well.

Ah right. So you think the French are unprepared? How often does France get big earthquakes anyway? You don't hear about it much. Is it not like the UK where they're far enough away from faultlines as to be relatively safe?

Don't underestimate bricks falling on top of you.

And people can unfortunately actually die from shock even if they do not have any fatal injuries.

The sea wall was one of the strongest one that existed then, but it was broken by tsunami higher than 30 meters , which also bring about the meltdown of Fukushima nuclear power plant.
Like you say, with all Japan's technology, tsunami is dangerous.

No she isn't. She's annoying like the rest of the cast.

Ah yes we should just demolish all old buildings and replace them with those American style cardboard ones.

>Garchomp used Earthquake
>It's super effective!
Good old Sup Forums memes.

Another bad luck was that Fukushima is pretty much a first generation nuclear plant as well.

You Japanese did not built that plant by yourself.

It was built by America's General Electric and based on knowledge only from that time period so the American experts at that time believed it was okay to build a plant in Fukushima.

If you guys had an actual modern nuclear reactor like France's, the damage might not have been so bad.

Due to how old the Fukushima plant is, you guts had problems with the Electrical Grid too, right?

I forgot the specifics but Japan's electrical grid is outdated and some parts of the country can only be run on different currents.

Finland best ally

lmao

map

Notice in many science fiction settings, not a trace remains of old buildings aside from possibly things like the statue of liberty.

You think Italians 1000 years from now would waste time and money preserving all these buildings at the cost of future Italins.

They probably would have bulldozed everything hundreds of years earlier and replaced then long ago with whatever super material we invented at that point in the future.

>science fiction settings
looooooooooooool

But the old buildings are part of their country's identity and their own identity. If you start bulldozing someone's history what you're effectively doing is ripping out their roots and damaging the bond between the citizen and their community.

has ISIS claimed responsibility for the earthquake yet?

inshallah tomorrow

We are all glad you are well off.
Sorry, for your losses of Italian lives.
Will the places be relocated or will they be rebuild?

This is Gods punishment for abandoning us almost 80 years ago.

Modern Europe is built atop of ancient graves, battlefields and nations though and even in those ancient times, the people at that time also built over kingdoms even more ancient than them.

Humans have been "bulldozing" the past since the dawn of civilization.

It is why we invented the written language and fucking paper to at least record the changes than being silly and holding onto the past.

France's greatest man, Napoleon, would be 100% enthusiastic and gung ho bulldozing away everything in Paris.

"If only the heavens had given me twenty more years of rule and a little leisure," [Napoleon] wrote while in exile on Saint Helena, "one would vainly search today for the old Paris; nothing would remain of it but vestiges.

It seems that according to you, it is not okay for modern humans to bulldoze away everything but it was okay to humans just 200 years okay who had no problems wanting to bulldoze away everything to make way for the new.

If Napoleon had access to our science and technology, he would have changed all of France if he could.

He wouldn't be crying about preservation.

Admit it, you are possessed by the spirit of Filippo Tommaso Marinetti.

Probably they will rebuild everything (almost)

Nah, your government should just discourage people living in those mountainous areas,

The fact that it needs helicopters to save so many people is a warning sign how inconvenient rescuing people is in those areas.

Either you discourage people from moving there or you modify the mountain itself that it fails the definition of mountain in the end but at least it is more safe to live there now.

Exactly right.

>you modify the mountain itself that it fails the definition of mountain in the end but at least it is more safe to live there now.

what did he mean by this

>your government should just discourage people living in those mountainous areas,
You realize that Italy is 80% mountains and high hills right?

>your government should just discourage people living in those mountainous areas,

"Hey, you know that house and land you own? Yeah, maybe stop living there. We can't give you new land or a new house or even a new apartment or pay you to move or do anything like that, but maybe stop living there? Please?"

You didn't really think that one through, did you?

No, they will rebuild every building following seismic criteria. This tragic situation happened because building weren't good enough. Norcia (17 km from Accumoli) had no victims because buildings were safe enough to resist earthquakes. There were some light damages to building but nothing fallen

Daily reminder that if you haven't lived through an earthquake that killed at LEAST 100 people you are LITERALLY a cuckhold

That is what California currently does.

If you live in a beach house and it gets destroyed, you aren't allowed to build there anymore because zoning laws have pushed back housing near the ocean.

Also, I never said the government wouldn't offer financial assistance, only that they should tell you to move somewhere else instead.

Correct, one must see Gods divine punishment and live through it personally to become a true believer.

this mashallah

1. Just because people did it in the past, doesn't mean it's a good idea

2. For the majority of European history, Europeans have cared about their ancestors and the past and what people did in the past.

The main difference between THEN and NOW is that back THEN societies were vulnerable to strongmen dictators (like your buddy Napoleon) coming into power and doing whatever the hell they wanted.

We can't hear the voices who the many who protested against all this bulldozing of the past, they have been silenced by history and you want to silence what remains.

Some mountains are worse though with boulders waiting to come tumbling down or lack of vegetation which means not enough roots from trees and plants to hold the ground tightly so mudslides/landsides will pretty much occur.

>Also, I never said the government wouldn't offer financial assistance, only that they should tell you to move somewhere else instead.
Most of Italy is mountains, the rest is already packed and owned by someone. Not to mention that Italy doesn't have the financial means to support all those people. Do you honestly not realize that?
And do you seriously believe that people will just let someone evict them from their land and tell them to "move somewhere else" where they'll probably have to pay rent?

>2. For the majority of European history, Europeans have cared about their ancestors and the past and what people did in the past.

I highly doubt this.

Common war tactics were burning down entire towns and cities after all.

Ancient Europeans cared more about living people than their buildings based on how often the command "Set Fire to everything" was issued from Rulers to Generals all over.

>your government should just discourage people living in those mountainous areas
The percentage of plain is 23% so approximately 70000 km2, pretty much two times the Kanto region of the Tokyo metro area, but Italy has also almost two times the population of the Kanto region, good luck with your city planning

He's completely retarded, ignore him.

only 247 gestapos?

lol fuck those fascisto dagos

Allah hates them

The government does have the inherent power to evict you from the land if they wished.

>Ancient Europeans cared more about living people than their buildings based on how often the command "Set Fire to everything" was issued from Rulers to Generals all over.

Erm this was done in order to win wars. War is one of those times when the stakes are often high, so collateral damage is priced in. Italy isn't waging a brutal land war right now. Italians aren't choosing between defeat in war and new buildings.

I'm not sure you've thought this through. Let's say you're the Doge of Italy and you bulldoze the old buildings built in the mountains, forceably displacing hundreds of thousands or millions of angry Italians. Do you have any idea how much replacing all that with modern quake-proof properties would cost? How are you going to pay for that?

Yeah, and that's totally going to go over without any issues. Jesus Christ you're retarded.

Stop working on the basis of "what would Napoleon do" because you're going to forced into some interesting situations if you do that

Politicians usually want to keep their jobs - especially in Italy where it pays *really* well. What you're suggesting will bring down governments

>Neo Bologna 3
GeoFront near Sassuolo when?

governments is just mob rule

any way you slice it up, a mob wants to tax you, enslave you, and take all your possessions so they can sell them off to other international mobs.

Italian people have tolerated worst things though.

Heck, citizens have tolerated worst from their governments than eviction notices.

For example, past hosts of the Olympics have a pretty big history of telling locals to fuck off if they want to build something and there is nothing the locals can do about it no matter how much they cry or grieve to the press.

>governments is just mob rule

Nope that's direct democracy - like if you decided everything with a popular referendum. Representative democracy like Poland, Italy and the UK have is clearly not mob rule. The people ruling us are not controlled by a mob, only influenced by it (the mob meaning the population)

Well, if I cared more about the people than historical buildings, in your scenario, I would probably auction off valuable artifacts and items from the past which would easily go for hundreds of millions of dollars.

After all, I find it silly how some paintings and statues can be worth 100 million dollars but if a sucker is willing to buy it for that price, go for it,

Just give me the money from the successful auction so I can earthquake proof Italy instead.

>I would probably auction off valuable artifacts and items from the past which would easily go for hundreds of millions of dollars.

Would you not care if that seriously pissed people off (because it would)?

I would just tell the press if you would prioritize a dead person's painting over your sleeping newborn baby in his or her crib during an earthquake.

>before pompeiji was buried they had earthquakes that were precursors to the primary event
I-italy-senpai are you gonna be ok? Don't get buried under volcanic ash pls.

North master race, get fucked trembling ones

Our volcanoes are in shitty places anyway, they would do the world a favor

We're getting a bit philosophical now. It comes down to the liberties a citizen should have and the strength of democracy.

If I understand this correctly, you are against the freedom of the individual to take risks that the ruler (you) deem too great. You would also have to be in favour of curtailing democracy in order to raise the required revenue because obviously Italians would not like to see their country's heritage sold at auction

Basically it would require a radically different government to what most European countries have today. Also, if we continue with your logic and push it to the conclusions that follow, we end up in the quite a scary place indeed.

>And you know what the super ironic thing is, if the Ancient Romans or Ancient Europeans had access to our science and technology today, they would have preferred our modern wood, steel, glass, etc buildings over their brick, straw, clay buildings built using their ancient methods any day of the week because our buildings are stronger and much more resistant to the elements, including earthquakes.

this guy

> 247 deaths
> still dozens of people missing

wtf, and the news said yesterday that this earthquake was less deadly than the L'Aquila one in 2011. Maybe for the buildings, but now the death toll is similar..

I hope this tragedy helps people living in high-risk areas to realize they need some protection against this kind of things, like modernize their houses or get insurances. We tend to forgot that we italians live on a damn rodeo bull.

first the barbarians, then the venetians, now the earthquaks

we are truly cursed

wood sucks bruh
the only thing wood is good at is that if everything falls down (and this happens 99% of the time) it's a bit cheaper to build it again compared to bricks or stone.

IT seems like it has always been italian/roman custom to keep the old architecture. I mean how else did pompeiji remain untouched for so long. And even today you have so much nice architecture everywhere. Unlike here where everything was built in the last few generations because the country was dirt poor for 99% of recorded history kek

fucking earthquaks I swear