Looking to buy minidisc player but don't know what to buy and if it will work in linux or not...

looking to buy minidisc player but don't know what to buy and if it will work in linux or not. Apparently there's a linux-minidisc project but the compatibility looks spotty.

Other urls found in this thread:

sony.com/electronics/walkman/nw-a30-series
sony.com/electronics/walkman-digital-music-players/t/walkman
minidisc.org/index.php
ebay.com/itm/Sony-MZ-N707-Portable-MiniDisc-Recorder-NetMD-Walkman-Black-Red-Bundle/292304824648?hash=item440eb9a948:g:DTIAAOSwhOxZ7sw8
minidisc.org/equipment_browser.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

GameCube

well the only affordable ones are netmd and they don't support mp3 or atrac in linux.

Linux? Ha! Even compatibility with Windows newer than XP is spotty. (I personally have gotten it to work with 7, and there're some YT videos showing it working with 8, but mileage varies.)

If you really want to get into it, you'd probably have better luck finding an old XP machine to use just for MiniDisc stuff. Or, look into getting an MD deck for recording without a computer at all.

Huh? Not sure what you're getting at here. If memory serves, GameCube discs are basically mini DVDs, not MD.

literally why

my hipster friend was still using minidiscs 15 years ago and they were already dead for all intents and purposes at that point.

just get an mp3 player or phone with a decent DAC

all the mp3 players now are just cheapass chinese shit and I don't use my phone for music

Sony still makes some.

was gonna say that until I looked up one of Sony's newer ones and realized OP just wants to look like this guy in the marketing shots while fiddling with his minidiscs at starbucks

ya they're like 3000 dollars

you don't have to buy new ones if you don't want to
if all you care about are mp3s then it doesn't even matter really. You need a player that can handle flac

>if all you care about are mp3s
I care about minidiscs

I wanted to care about minidiscs too until I figured out how much of a pain they are.
You should have gotten into them a couple of years ago when people were literally throwing them away or making them into stupid art.

sony.com/electronics/walkman/nw-a30-series

there are ones for every budget

sony.com/electronics/walkman-digital-music-players/t/walkman

this

none of the cheaper ones seem to have expandable storage as far as I can see

NW-A30 and 40 both do

doesn't say anything about sdcard in the specs

You clearly don't know about the audiophile mp3 players

obviously I shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars just to get a non chinese pos

good cheap starting model is a mz n707
to use sonic stage I just run a windows xp virtual machine on my computer and interact with the minidisc recorder through that.

guise is there a mp3 player that uses 5.25" floppy disks i really want to b unique

Listen, I know that MD was the last format to be truly aesthetic as fuck, but unless you're doing this for some kind of historical/archival purpose, it's not worth the effort.

I'm in this for the long haul.

I loved my old NetMD players, but I have no idea what kind of compatibility SonicStage and related hardware/software would have with modern OSs. Is it possible that you could just source an old XP/Win7 laptop or something dirt cheap, then use that to transfer the music? I feel like if you're deadset on Linux for the source, you're going to need to dig much deeper into the software side of things before you commit to any hardware (read: MD player, MDs). How much have you looked into the players and format/ATRAC itself if you don't already know what player to look for?

>How much have you looked into the players and format/ATRAC itself if you don't already know what player to look for?

I watch a video from techmoan

I will use the software in a virtual machine.

Make sure to get a newer version of SonicStage. Those versions will export to SP, rather than limiting you to only LP2 or LP4.

Well, good luck to you then: minidisc.org/index.php
My favorite unit was the N420D.

well for some reason people using mini disc players don't seem to keep track of any of their cables because there's basically only one I can find on ebay that actually has the usb adapter, ac adapter and the in line headphone adapter all together.

ebay.com/itm/Sony-MZ-N707-Portable-MiniDisc-Recorder-NetMD-Walkman-Black-Red-Bundle/292304824648?hash=item440eb9a948:g:DTIAAOSwhOxZ7sw8

Given that the USB cables were mostly mini-USB and the A/C adapter is just the right voltage and tip gauge, the only cable that would be difficult to replace is the inline remote. I'd imagine that you may have more difficulty finding the right NiCd or NMH "Gumstick" battery for your unit, assuming that it takes one.

so how long would it last on batteries?

Depends on filetype and batteries used. Check the browser here: minidisc.org/equipment_browser.html for details on specific models.
On average, though, MD players outpaced both Discman and many mp3 players in terms of playtime on a single battery charge.