/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Search engines are cool. Maybe try them?
Ask stupid shit here.

Last thread: I'll start
- I have a million of those old black USB-B or whatever they are called cables for my old phone, tablet etc and my only USB-C cable is also black so it always gets lost among this mess of cables. Anyone got experience with painting a cable or has an idea to find it more easily?

- The right speaker of my ATH M50 died, anyone got experience sending one in for repair (warranty period over, I live in Belgium)?

- How do I print the comments I added in a PDF document in Acrobat Reader? All it does is fucking print the speech bubble without the comment.

Other urls found in this thread:

domreg.lt/public?pg=278B40
discord.gg/e3VzeWj
youtube.com/watch?v=qeQUs4Wtyfs
deviantart.com/*
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm planning on buying a .lt (Lithuania) TLD.
Here's a list of acredited registrars:
domreg.lt/public?pg=278B40

Is there any company on that list that you could recommend?
Also, does it really matter if I just want to move it ASAP to some other registrar?

As an artist, which is the best Samsung Galaxy Note that can replicate a tablet? I'm currently using a Note 3 but I want to know if there is a better version than the one I'm using.

Ok, So I innitially thought youtube was either getting slower, my internet was shitting itself, or my provider was throttling the hell out of it.

let and right buttons were painfully slow and shit stuttered all the fucking time.

load the link into potplayer,
entire video is downloaded in 5 seconds and skipping around is flawless.

so... is there a way to shove youtube videos to a specific player from the browser or is drag and dropping urls the only way to go?

What's the best and most secured cloud storage site?(pic unrelated)

Does anyone have some short memo on xquery requests ? Had a shitty course and I don't have much time to study, would like to avoid downloading some database.

Guys I need some relatively cheap Windows tablet with fullHD screen for some youtube and twitch usage. Any suggestions?

How do i overclock my 1600x above 4ghz? Everytime i go above 4ghz and try to bench it or stress it my computer crashes.

How do I enable interpolation in VLC for 60fps videos, like MPC-HC?

I have an AMD r9 280 that hasn't had driver updates in a year. Also haven't done anything very taxing on that PC in the same time frame. How fucked am I in terms of running shit like games or 3D modeling software?

Is it technically bad practice to ignore driver updates? I only ever had issues over time on and old GPU that turned out to be completely missing accompanying software. Is it fine to just leave it if there aren't any problems?

I should add - my reason for ignoring updates is because of reported stability issues with the new relive drivers and "old" AMD cards.

REEEEEEEEEEE why the fuck is cuckblows 10 doing this

Would a small Dell Optiplex work fine as an HTPC, or would a graphics card have problems fitting into something that small?

Is there an easy way prevent a GTX 780 from entering boost clocks? Like a way to lock the clocks? I'm almost certain this is what is causing my display driver to crash in some lower-end titles.

Does the PPTV King 7 have OEM support? My friend can't use the USB endoscope with his King 7, but I can use it with my S4 and Redmi note 4x.
Can somebody help me out please?
Would it help if I'd root it and put a custom ROM on it?

I fucked up Sup Forums, fucked up real bad.
So I had an unactivated version of Windows 10, and someone posted that Windows toolkit could be used to activate it. The website said to disable my antivirus, probably should have seen that coming but I thought it was similar to how some torrents make the AV freak out. I open it and a command line appears and it says to to install some shit (y/n), type y and some shit installs, bunch of pajeet sounding nosies and all my searches redirect to something else. The task manager comes up with weird shit running like, a blank program called "Stabbed" and some other shit.
I restarted my computer cus I got scared and I think I shouldn't have done that.
Anyways I understand I fucked up, is there a way to get rid of the virus, can I just format my SSD and HDD and reinstall windows?
Please help, thank you.

Format your SSD or HDD two or three times at least and then reinstall Windows.

Don't download shitty activators from google, do your research before you install something.

>can I just format my SSD and HDD and reinstall windows?
Ye basically

NSA-tier malware can infect like the BIOS, or your HDD firmware, but I doubt your pajeet malware did anything like that. If you ARE worried about that - or an IME exploit or something - the only way is to buy a new PC

Is it possible to use GSync with GPU Passthrough?

Join the new Sup Forums discord
discord.gg/e3VzeWj

My wireless mouse's wheel started jumping in the opposite direction while scrolling. I bought a new one and it worked fine for a week, now I have the same problem, on both Windows and Linux. Did this shit break too, or could it be a software issue somehow?

don't see why not

Why would people on Sup Forums of all places want to use botnetcord

Because Sup Forums is a botnet

>Sup Forums
>discord
oxymoron

If I want to install a different ROM (Lineage to be precise, preferably without gapps) what's the best way to migrate all my 2FA shit that's currently split between google authenticator and FreeOTP?

> implying Hiroshima Nagasaki didn't make Sup Forums his personal botnet the day he bought it.

NO!
Go on /ic/ and they will give you wacom reccomendation.

I'm clearing out a WD My Passport drive.
Deleted everything but it still shows 69GB of used space.
What the fuck is it?

Switch to old style youtube on desktop and use newpipe or whatever on android.
Their latest changes made the site unsuable,I dont understand why it is so slow and bloated.

have the old style, but for the last while youtube just wont load much of the videos anymore and there is constant buffering, but I load it into pot player and its instantly downloaded damn near everything.

maybe your browser is fucking you?
Try on chrome or something.

I mean is there a simple extention or or script that will send the link to your prefered player?

To which god do I pray to make sure my new build doesn't kill itself upon starting up

only use chrome, youtube fucking sucks and has for the last few weeks, i'm getting sick of this and am wondering if I just have to drag and drop videos from now on or if there is a simple button extension/script.

no idea mate sorry

Nextcloud
You can geht 5gb free on disroot.org

secure and private aren't necessarily the same thing, just so you know.

most secure would be Google drive. Good password + 2 factor = probably the best security. pajeet or Romanian credit card thieves aren't gonna get to your files.
I think even Dropbox has been hacked. Not Google yet though to my knowledge.

private? dunno.

do you have "show hidden files" enabled?

Somebody please?

Being what it is.. shit
Install gnu+linux kubuntu is good for starting

yep, hidden files enabled in folder options

Rebuild thumbnail cache.

all of them

why can't i install ublock on seamonkey

can I do anything with an amp that cuts out on one speaker, other than throwing it away?

Can anyone help me find information on a AMD server with 12 CPUs sockets? Need to write an article on it for collage and google isn't helping.

collage? try google images

college* oopsie

>12 CPU sockets
Man that is something i haven't seen for a while.

Can any person here that has an Arris router please report how is your setup of port forwarding? How should it be done, if it works to you and others.

I got an Arris TG1692A model one to replace the old one of mine from a ISP that I recently switched to it. It's much more reliable and faster, which I'm more than satisfied with it, but on the other side, not only its port forwarding setup is a little more complex and convenient to use, I also can't get it to work. I'm trying to open the ports for qBittorrent and Soulseek. No matter what I do, I still can't get them to work based in the sites I use that checks if theses same ports are open or not.

Can I get some suggestions to solve it? What should I do? Pic related isn't mine, but it represents the exact same model of the new modem I have gotten.

If I download a video directly from the page source that uses JW player, protected by a token that I have to input personal info to access, the page will be able to detect that i'm downloading the file?

I've been having various issues with trying to post using Sup Forums X recently. Sometimes the captcha won't be valid and I'll have to reload (even with nu-captcha), and sometimes it will say "No file selected" (even if I'm just posting in a thread and have an image attached) and I'll have to reload. It's really annoying. How do I fix this?

So in recent days, I came across this video, demonstrating undervolting.

youtube.com/watch?v=qeQUs4Wtyfs

From what I gather, undervolting the CPU and GPU means the components draw less power, and in turn run cooler so that over extended gaming periods, they won't suffer from thermal throttling. However, I assume this is only effective in laptops due to poor heat dissipation, what with them being compact and all, while this would be negligible at best on a desktop. Would I be right, or would undervolting somewhat underpowered desktop hardware prove beneficial?

power one speaker

I was able to overclock my ram to 3200 before but now when i am overclocking my 1600x to 4ghz i bluescreen while trying to overclock my ram higher than 2666. What is the problem?

Try on different PC.

undervolting basically lowers the heat output without lowing the frequency/performance
this can be a performance benefit in one of two ways;
a. less thermal throttling
b. more thermal headroom for overclocking (higher clockspeed for the same heat output)

if your laptop doesn't thermal throttle as it is, then undervolting won't affect performance on it's own, though it can improve battery life, as the cpu uses less power when undervolted, as you'd imagine

How does this not fuck up the hardware? For example you're not supposed to connect a smartphone to a charger only capable of providing less power than it needs.
Basically I thought that insufficient power can only lead to trouble

Bump?

I only have one

Figure out out
Use CCleaner' Disk Analyzer
tons of old deleted file in some kind of hidden recycle bin folder on the portable drive
I thought recycle bin was just for C: :s

Anyway, now using CCleaner to do a simple wipe over it. Will run Analyze again afterwards to make sure.

Have a friend with PC?
Its highly unlikely bot it can be a problem with mobo.

Clean the laser sensor.

I just reinstalled Windows 7 from my recovery partition (2011) so it shouldn't have any telemetry shit. Is there any recent list on which updates I can safely install or should I just stick with it and hope for the best?

Last hope, could anyone help?
I know there's a list of updates which you shouldn't install.

does a circle have an infinite number of sides, or no side at all ?

How can I share phone's wifi to my linux desktop?
Due to christmas Im moving lots of stuff in my house, my desktop will end in another room and I dont want to buy any new device

"Mobo" ?

Why can't my GPU run my monitor?

usb tethering

Because you have it plugged into your iGPU

I'm trying to learn how to write scripts for bash and all about bash pretty much
Any of you guys know of a really good book or something that you could recommend me, please?

Would 4GB RAM be enough for a general development laptop?
Noting too heavyweight, mostly just coding in IDEs, using Chrome and terminal in Linux.

has anyone ever bought a dell "certified refurbished" laptop?
are they any good or is it worth paying the $1k for a new one?

Running an R9 280x here
Don't worry about running old drivers, the only thing you are really missing is the relive feature (basically AMDs take on shadowplay for recording gameplay with no performance impact)

I would say only update drivers if you are having issues with newer games or trying to eke out a few more frames in something that is demanding enough that it would make a difference.

AMD keep a full list of old drivers so rolling back is easy.
support(dot)amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064
Curently latest drivers break some games that rely on OpenGL (pic related) so I wouldn't install anything newer than 17.7.2 at this time

Is this just software to download or some configuration I have to do?

how did I manage to plug my laptop screen into my iGPU?

A month or so ago it was in my GPU.

I can see you are running a laptop. In older models there was a physical switch you had to toggle to set the active GPU while nowadays it's likely a BIOS or setting within the nvidia drivers.

From your screenshot it looks like you have the onboard Intel Graphics running all display work on both monitors and you have the 740M set as a designated PhysX card meaning it will do physics work in games only.

Never used nVidia so no idea where in their control panels you can unset such a feature

support may vary from rom to rom, you may need root and/or a third party app
i've only ever used cm/lineage, which supports it, so i do not know where to look otherwise, i've just heard it's not always available ootb

nowadays I would say 8GB is the minimum. Really depends on the OS and what kind of development work.
Place I work at all devs are web devs or work with PowerBI or SQL and all have laptops with i7's and 16-32GB RAM yet still complain about it being slow

Yes. Have swap though.

Does anyone know what the best firefox distro is for computer longevity sake? I got a cheap laptop for school and want to run a web browser that isn't intensive but has the customability of firefox. Alternatively, a good distro of chrome that's worth the sacrifice in features is good too.

Your laptop might have a switching circuit in it that internally connects your display to the iGPU or the dGPU depending on load. Try running a demanding graphical task and see if it switches.

on signing in, windows 10 has been opening things that were open when I shut the computer down. how do I stop this? everything that I find by googling is about startup programs, but windows will open up the task manager if it was open when I shut it down

Pretty straight forward question

// ==UserScript==
// @name Deviations shortcut
// @namespace DeviationsShortcut
// @include deviantart.com/*
// ==/UserScript==

(function(){
document.addEventListener('keydown', function(e) {
// pressed d
if (e.keyCode == 68 && !e.shiftKey && !e.ctrlKey && !e.altKey && !e.metaKey) {
window.location = "deviantart.com/notifications/#view=deviations"; // go to deviations.
}
}, false);
})();

I used this script with greasemonkey to press "d" which should take me to the URL shown above. It used to work but it no longer does. Any idea what changed or how to fix it?

Why cant i lower CAS latency? I lowered it in the AMD ryzen master but it didnt change according to cpu-z

Sounds like hibernation is enabled. Enter following into elevate cmd or powershell window

powercfg.exe /hibernate off

since about 2 weeks or so my NVIDIA driver keeps fucking up, causing screen and mouse freeze until it resets. happens about once per hour.
googling error does not result in anything that fixes it for me.
any advice?
Win7, GTX1080, i7

Your RAM is shitty also that can be only changed from BIOS not from software.
And dont mess with CAS Latency, just increase speed till CR stops being 1T.

thanks senpai

Happened to me, had to RMA the card... Was caused by hardware failure

cleared it already, did nothing

>gnu+linux
its linux aspie

I've had it for over a year, never any issues. do you have any method to check whether it's hardware related?

Motherboard.

didn't work

What is the best way to block website miners

what fun things can i do with programming knowledge?
i want to learn code because of the math involved but i don't have any idea for actually fun things to code.

I want to have some little server with dual boot to windows, can veracerypt encrypt the entire windows drive as a partition or some shit?

What is faster, number >> 1 or number / 2