Thoughts on Java + OpenGL? I'd be using JOGL, not LWJGL

Thoughts on Java + OpenGL? I'd be using JOGL, not LWJGL.

but why java?

My thoughts are why the fuck would you use Java?

Because I already know it well.

Nothing wrong with Java, get off of Sup Forums and go play your minecraft fuckin kiddos

I had not heard about it. Is there any gayme made with it?

Lel mine craft

If you want to be limited to 30 fps you're fine with Java

Not if you limit your draw calls by using glDrawArrays/glDrawElements

when you see it

It's a well known fact that the JVM is hard limited at 30 fps

Lol

didn't mean to trigger you. it's just that if you are using opengl people usually use c++. wanted to know why he wants to use java.

Nothing wrong with it, just why?
Also LWJGL might use JOGL itself, just modified version
legit reason
look minecraft and how much better the windows store version runs. if you can use C you should.

That's fair. 2nd poster is a memer though.

LWJGL is just a OGL and a bunch of supporting libraries wrapped into one package. Just use LWJGL dude.

>the "Minecraft is slow because of Java" meme

It isn't. Minecraft is slow because Notch used fucking OpenGL 1.x. He used no vertex buffers, no texture buffers, he used glQuads and other CPU dependent shit. It was awful, but that wasn't Java's fault.

I want to learn OpenGL from the lowest level possible in Java. LWJGL seems to obfuscate a lot of gl calls.

>He used no vertex buffers, no texture buffers
How the fuck does anybody successful get far enough to make a working 3d engine and NOT realize what a massive fuckup that is?

And Notch is heralded as a good programmer why again? Was Minecraft at least updated eventually to get rid of the fixed pipeline shit or is it still dependent on it?

why fix the concept when the cash is flowing?

I have no idea, but out of curiosity I did a quick google. Mojang says it requires:
>GPU (Discrete): Nvidia GeForce 400 Series or AMD Radeon HD 7000 series with OpenGL 4.4
However doing a little more digging I found a second post talkinga bout dropping support for devices w/o OpenGL 2.1
My guess is they've gone through and fixed a lot of his mistakes.

To be fair, he wasn't expecting MineyCrafta to explode in popularity.

He admits that he's a pretty bad programmer. I think he has some solid fundamentals though. He's really good at prototyping.

Microsoft did. They updated it with at least OGL 3.x

Just use C++

>Microsoft not using Direct3D
lol

This means the game no longer can be played with earlier graphics cards? I used to play minecraft with a GeForce 7600GT, and it was totally fine. The performance was only really held back by my low end C2D and 2GB RAM.

It seems like the kind of game that should require at most OpenGL 2.x, considering the kind of hardware that the game performs well enough on.

I did some OpenGL ES work this last year and even that had me thoroughly annoyed with everything. I can't fucking imagine getting all the way to navigable 3d scenes without using GPU buffers

still uses tcp for networking i believe, for things like character movement updates, unless that has been changed by MS too. Remember writing a mod, and the rubberbanding was real. had to include some pretty sophisticated motion prediction algorithms to try and work against it, although it did work pretty well in the end.

I don't mean to crap on notch though; Minecraft was not written as a multi player game, but eventually he had to cobble something together, fast, because there was such an extreme demand for it.

He was a mobile games dev i believe, so it makes sense that he was very skilled at prototyping/design, while not a master at low level graphics programming stuff. If I remember correctly I think Minecraft started as an experiment to actually learn, which is why he did not use some game creation toolkit but wrote it all from scratch.