Best drawing free software?

My vote would go to Photoshop CS2. It fully works with a wacom intuos pro.

GIMP = crap.
Krita = crap.

Why are free drawing softwares so bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=K5NLG4MtJ10&t=1704s
pinta-project.com/pintaproject/pinta/releases
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

My sister is a professional illustrator and she uses Krita on Kubuntu. It's stable, has all the tools you need and doesn't get in the way.

Also Kubuntu comes with out-of-the-box wacom tablets support.

Except it isn't free. Not any more than the pirated newest version of it.

But Photoshop CS2 is actually free (as in free beer)

Paint.net

Install GIMP and learn to use it, brainlet.

>GIMP = crap.
>Krita = crap.
We have some high level arguments over here.
saged.

It's actually not. The online verification happened to stop working one day and someone decided that this meant Adobe were giving it away for free.

Until a good FOSS replacement shows up I'll stick with my pirated CS3.

>>Why are free drawing softwares so bad?

That's just part of the economy of scale for open source development. There isn't enough people to work on everything, so only the stuff that people are passionate about gets worked on.

In terms of free, Krita is probably one the best for painting. Mediabang/Firealpaca are good for comic style.

For $20 Paintstorm is fantastic for painting (requires a good graphics card) .

Now, what I really wish, was that there were a good Vector graphics program. Or a suitable replacement for Flash.

You retard it is. Adobe literally lists the serial numbers on their website.

Every software is free if you patch the trial

Krita has one big downsize - it works laggy as fuck on windows machines. I'm not using Windows but most of the users do.

My vote for the best drawing software goes to Krita and Manga Studio (doesn't work on Linux unfortunately :/). Photoshop is barely over average for this task - it was made for editing photos, not drawing.

CS2 window management is busto since a GDI+ security update.

>Krita has one big downsize - it works laggy as fuck on windows machines. I'm not using Windows but most of the users do.

No, I totally agree. Krita is just the best free has to offer. Personally, I use Paintstorm.

The lag with Krita, has to do with the way they implement the pen interface. Most programs would only pull from the most recent pen position to determine where the pen is, but Krita logs every pen position and then tries catch up after the fact, and it even does post processing on the stroke. If your machine is slow, it will lag to the point unusable for any production grade work.

It's ideology that ignores workflow in favor of accuracy.

>Photoshop is barely over average for this task - it was made for editing photos, not drawing
you mean ALL those artists in the field of cinema, video james, special effects, ALL those thousands of pros with centuries of combined experience and god know how much knowledge, they all use the wrong program to do art? ... maybe, user, you should consider that you are wrong and PS IS good for drawing.

Krita = great

hello sakimichan and fellow artists whi think filters equal talent! how do you do?

gimp just works

that's probly a result of how windows does inputs. It doesn't poll inputs but rather has events for down/up. Not sure if that translates to tablets though.

I unironically think inkscape is often more enjoyable to use to create vector graphics than illustrator

So in other words, since CS6/CC have all features of CS2, won't the former also be good at drawing?

> Photoshop
>free software

Care to share some of her work, really interested.

I agree OP.

It's been this way for YEARS, shit DECADES now.

All I want is a decent drawing/painting app that works with my old intuous tablet properly.
Gimp? Can't draw curves, there are angles and straight segments.
Krita? Same shit.
Is it the linux drivers? Nope, Photoshop in wine works flawlessly.
Same shit on OSX, photoshop works flawlessly, Krita and Gimp both can't handle curved lines. Like how do you fuck up so horribly on something so fucking basic??

Krita
Paint tool sai(pirated)

It's free if you don't pay for it, retard. Probably 99% of non professionals who use Photoshop did not/don't pay for it.

Learn to use the software you install, brainlet.

Just CS2, I won't explain why (not illegal). There are links to help you with that.

Stability for all the CS2 products is not great when you're working with large files. Mostly Illustrator/Indesign.

Free software means software that respects the user's freedom.

There are four essential freedoms that the user of software should always have:

Freedom 0 is the freedom to run the program however you wish.
Freedom 1 is the freedom to study the source code of the program and change it to make the program do as you wish.
Freedom 2 is the freedom to distribute copies of the program to others when you wish. This includes republication of the program.
Freedom 3 is the freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others when you wish. This includes republication.

If you have all four of these essential freedoms, then the program is free software, which means that the social system of the distribution of the program is an ethical system that respects the freedom and community of the users.

If one of these freedoms is missing, then the program is proprietary software, meaning that it keeps the users divided and helpless, and gives the developer power over the users. This is an injustice. Proprietary software should not exist and should not be used.

If you want to have freedom, the only way you can have it while using computers is by rejecting proprietary software.

>Krita
>Crap
Get a load of this faggot.

Not an argument

>that's probly a result of how windows does inputs. It doesn't poll inputs but rather has events for down/up. Not sure if that translates to tablets though.
No I double check just now. The are pulling the packets from WINTAB, (if memory serves the only way to get all tablet features on windows), and are running a for loop over every packet.

check it's github: wintab/kis_tablet_support_win.cpp#L737

The issue with this is that it's making the assumption that should krita ever lag behind, it will eventually be given an opportunity to catch up. But if the brush stroke process is too slow, it wont catch up until the user stops.

Other apps simply grab the most recent info which results in "jumping" but is still safer.

You can actually see this in action. Youtuber Jazza did a review of cheap PS alternatives. But he didn't realize he system was shitting the bed and negatively scored ALL OF THEM for "lagging". High level dumb-assery there for thinking he was getting the same bug in different programs and it didn't have a common source.

youtube.com/watch?v=K5NLG4MtJ10&t=1704s

>GIMP = crap.
>Krita = crap.
I beg to disagree tho.

Not him but, appeal to popularity? it should be already clear that something being popular doesn't mean it's the best, do you grasp it's popular because of marketing and because a lot of people is trained into using photoshop right? not saying that PS is bad (neither that guy is saying that if you mind to read carefully), just that it's not the best for drawing which makes sense because similarly to gimp it's a program for image manipulation.

>The online verification happened to stop working one day and someone decided that this meant Adobe were giving it away for free.

That's not what happened. Adobe wanted to take down the authentication server for CS2, but that meant that anyone with a legit copy couldn't install and activate it anymore. So they put up the FINAL DESTINATION version of CS2 that doesn't need to authenticate online and put up the serials for it as well. Legally, only people with a legit copy of CS2 can download it. But in reality, Adobe gives no fucks about who downloads it.

Waca-waca-waca-wacom

I have a shit laptop(atom and Celeron ) and I would use Photoshop 7.0 since it's easy to install and uses next to no resources. Should I upgrade to cs2 instead? I only have 4gb of ram.

I want to fuck the shit out of the Kirta mascot so that ones the best

so how do you fucking fix it?

Inkscape is really good desu. It's a bit easier to use than Illustrator if you're a beginner. Of course, it doesn't come close to it in terms of super-advanced features, though for making technical figures (for scientific articles in my case) it's perfect.

>inkscape
>good
It's fucking unusable without GPU acceleration. I guess it's still alright if you draw logos and shit.

Are you fucking retarded? It's only legal for the people who actually bought CS2. It's a required measure since the auth server is gone.

Learn to use GIMP

gimp and krita just werk for me

>Just CS2

Oh you mean the CS2 meme that literally every news outlet got completely WRONG and most corrected their report a couple days later.

No, CS2 is not "for free", faggot.
It's just available for download who already have a license for it.

No crack needed.
No activation needed.
Not free.

Wut?

actually, today gimp is pretty much around CS2-tier

No.

Gimp is still a buggy piece of shit that forces you to do shit inefficiently. So many things aren't there where they should be and it's also slow as fuck.

Krita on the other hand is solid and great software but it is a shame they don't want to get the last bit of features to finally make GIMP fuck off. Krita could actually be the PS alternative that Gimp never was and never will be.

> software X has no DRM
> free.
But that's wrong you jewish bastard.
If some software is good and you use it regularly PAY FOR IT.

If you dont mind me asking. What are the last bit of features?

Your standard for what's "free" is retarded and inconsistent. You're breaking the EULA of Adobe to the exact same degree in both cases, both of them take the same amount of effort and neither of them costs you any money.

Using Photoshop CS2 without buying it = Illegal, costs no money
Using Photoshop CC 2017 with the activation DLL removed = Illegal, costs no money

you have garbage taste and probably don't want to learn anything new cus photoshit
None the less MyPaint is pretty nice when you just want to sketch.

krita and inkscape are great

so.. accelerate it with your gpu.

clip studio paint is much better for illustration than photoshop and the regular version is like $30

i think i remember firealpaca being decent as a free not-SAI

99% real pros use photoshop, despite of whatever millions of retarded begginers think of that fact.

Photoshop is not drawing software, it's photo editing software. You might have been able to infer that from the name. Illustrator is drawing software, which you also might have been able to infer from the name. There's no good open source drop-in replacement for Illustrator unless you use Linux, but more recent versions of Krita offer a much improved vector toolset, and that would be my first choice if I were a poorfag starting over in the field. If you aren't a poorfag and just don't want to support Adobe, CorelDRAW is a very good option.

No, you just don't know what you're talking about. No sensible person draws in Photoshop because it's difficult to edit and has a terrible vector toolset. Certainly no sensible person in cinema or effects draws in Photoshop because it's impossible to animate. For video production, line art starts in Illustrator, then goes to After Effects for motion graphics, or is all done in AE for simple stuff. The main use of Photoshop is texture painting. Outside of video production and photography, Photoshop is also good for shading and painting, but the basic line art still usually originates in Illustrator.

t. professional 3d artist

>3d ""artist""
>The main use of Photoshop is texture painting
you're legit retarded

If Photoshop was for drawing it would be called Drawshop. Ok?

best free drawing software is Photoshop CC 2018, version 19.0.1

>Photoshop is not drawing software, it's photo editing software. You might have been able to infer that from the name. Illustrator is drawing software, which you also might have been able to infer from the name.
t. clueless retard. Illy is for vector art, you don't draw in it. PS is for photos as well as raster art, which most actual illustrators work in.

This thread brought to you by your friends at Adobe Software™

Photoshop is not a drawing program you fucking mongoloid, it's a photo manipulation software.

There is a bundle of photoshop software on humblebundle or just was?

If gimp is so shitty why is photoshop so scared of it they feel the need to send paid shills to a chinese cartoon board?

What does that have to do at all with the issue I posted about?

It's a fundamental problem with the program, not with "not knowing how to use the software". Should I learn to accommodate the blatant deficiencies and bugs of the software? That's fucking retarded.

Fact is: neither Krita nor Gimp can correctly draw a simple fucking curved line. And this problem has existed for well over a decade.

GIMP is an editor.
Krita is for painting.

>Which of these is better for highway gas milage?
>snow mobile=crap
>jet ski=crap

Corporate fag here
Shallow your pride and invest in a $10 subscription to Adobe CC. It's considered the industry standard, extensive and extremely versatile. Putting something like Krita or GIMP will get you laughed out of the interview unless you can convince them you're so damn poor that you can't afford a fucking $10 subscription.

Unless you're a freelance artist or do furry OC
s for a living where it doesn't matter what program you use, you're better off learning something that's popular.

>software you cannot own
>subscription software

aaahaaha, stick that meme up your ass.
good thing there's still Affinity Photo.

kill the for loop, but thats pointless, it's designed this way intentionally.

Inkscapes UI is god awful. while I admit it has feature illustrator doesn't, the usability is just way to low.

this. krita, incscape and blender are the holy trinity of free graphics software

this. photoshop has a couple of features their competitors lack, but its bigger advantage, by far, is that it became the de facto INDUSTRY STANDARD

Free and owning software is fine and dandy.....

So is also having a viable job--you walk into majority of corporate offices and the IT department will bend over backwards to use Creative Cloud because that's all Mac-fags will use. Feel free to break the mold using Windows or Linux, but be prepared to get laughed out of the offices when you bust out GIMP or Krita.

If the software gets the shit done, it is completely IRRELEVANT if the office laughs about you.
In case of GIMP you're completely right but there's really capable software out there that does also a great job for a way lower price and no subscription, like the software by Serif for example.
Also, small graphics agencies often don't make use of all the features of Adobe software. Many just creat fucking billboards or truck wraps for small businesses and in these cases it's no big deal to use non-"industry standard" software.

Sure, if you work for a bigger movie or print company and they do really high quality shit, you will probably throw the towel quickly with the free alternatives and cheaper software, especially if agencies exchange work files with each other.

It all just depends on how much of the Adobe software functionality and speed you need.
Just blindly doing the subscription is like leasing a Cayenne which literally does everything you'd need for a fuckton of different occasions while you actually only do pizza delivery in the neighborhood.

except there's at least 1 order of magnitude more windows CC users than macos ones.
since last decade adobe stuff works better on windows and gets more features, more experimental features, and faster updates than second class macos version

You're comparing apples to oranges--you're assuming you're going to stay in the same position, same company for however many years, but the reality of it is, jobs for most graphics artists is a revolving door--if a manager needs an excuse to explain a dip in sales, they'll usually lay or a graphic artist who is usually quickly picked up by another company. Taking a risk on free software 'because it just werks' is just that--an unnecessary risk when Creative Cloud is, again, THE DEFACTO INDUSTRY STANDARD.

2018; still no simple way to create a green pepper using photoshop.

>subscription cancerware
> only privileged children deserve jobs
> "professional"
faggotry levels of the thread drastically increase

Krita is fantastic though you lousy dork.

If you don't want to use GIMP/Krita/Incscape, then there is pinta pinta-project.com/pintaproject/pinta/releases
But I think it's ded.

“Free software” means software that respects users' freedom and community. Roughly, it means that the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. Thus, “free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free beer”. We sometimes call it “libre software,” borrowing the French or Spanish word for “free” as in freedom, to show we do not mean the software is gratis.

>while I admit it has feature illustrator doesn't, the usability is just way to low.
Like what?
Legit question, I'm a long time Illustrator user but I like the idea of FOSS and I'm interested but I can't stand Inkscape UI

try mischief for vector graphics, one of my faves even if you'll need wine.

>mischief

Nice abandonware, buddy

I mean, it just werks ;(

some shit I made in it from /ic/

>Inkscapes UI is god awful.
This. For example those effects things should be nodes like in Blender.
Also, the UI itself is kind of slow, just to be expected of a UI library written in C and then wrapped for C++.

I've never heard of this before, looks like its though abandoned though.

Too bad it looked neat.

Yea, I grabbed a license when it was on sale and before it became abandonware so I just fire up the license. Still works well though!

it's only $25 now. Not sure that's worth if it no longer receives updates though.

Yea, probably not, pretty unfortunate desu. They used to have sales where it was like $17.50 USD? I think that's how much I got it for.

The free version is pretty light on features. Looks almost like a weekend project.

That really too bad, its performance and minimal UI looks great for work flow.

Adobe gives out a serial number you retard

You're a larping idiot.
Illustrator can be used as a vector drawing software. Photoshop can be used as a bitmap drawing software. Every artist will laugh at you for saying sentences like Photoshop is not drawing software it's photo editing software. Illustrator is drawing software. Might as well say 'Illustrator is not drawing software it's vector editing software' while you're at it. Or just say 'Zbrush is not a 3d modeling program. 3ds max is'. I bet people will love you for saying stuff like this. Because all of these comparisons are bullshit.

No, sir, you are the idiot. We both can plainly see that you are a mong. Go to school

They are literally providing them for free. You can make a throwaway account in 30 seconds and download all of the installers and serials.

Photoshop has a fairly capable brush engine, along with a vector graphics, and 3d ray tracing. It has wildly left the scope of being merely a photo editor.

Illustrator has been, in my experience more geared toward book layouts, web design and logo design. I don't know of anyone that actually "draws" in it exclusively. Usually there is a raster sketch involved before any vectors are laid.

They even added in a line stabilizer to the latest photoshop release so you don't have to rely on third party stabilizers like lazy nezumi to get clean lines.

Just get a cracked copy of the app, ffs.
It's "free", you can train yourself, and yes, it's a pro level software.