Hey, int

Hey, int.

So I've been arguing with some anons how easy it would be to detect with a simple question someone who has never been to US, but pretends to live there.

Thus, quick question to you, — is there anyone here who lives in US and does not remember your local sales tax?

>tax added after the purchase

Do Americans actually do this ?!?!??!?!?!?!?

That's the thing. That DO do this and pretty much no one in the rest of the world does it, so it's easy to detect them that way.

We have to add up the tax for everything if we care about how much we're spending. Some things are excepted from regular tax, like food, but that may depend on what state you live in.

So you would agree that pretty much everyone knows what the local sales tax is?

Come on, /int.
Prove me wrong or something.
(Pic unrelated.)

Ok, let me ask this the other way round: do YOU know your local sales tax if you live in US?

I don't know what my local sales tax is but in Pennsylvania it's included in the price tag, at least most of the time. In New York I think it's something like 8% but it might've changed.

Only the worst states

>But in Pennsylvania.
Huh, That's weird. Last time I was in Philly (around 2014) sales tax was most definitely NOT included in the price

>8% sales tax is considered high in USA
>we have 21%
JUST

Nope
I know it is approximately 7% here but I don't know the exact number
Maybe 7.5

>CA
>One of the worst states
Excuse me, what?

I think the sales tax is foolish. Why would you want to tax consumption, the driving force of the economy? Taxes should be based on income & capital gains only, so that we all contribute a fair amount to society based on how much society has given us.

Pennsylvania is literally the best US state, why are you so mad? You're not flyover-tier, are you now?

Doing the groceries must be a nightmare if you have a tight budget

Sorry btw, you appear to be a PAfag yourself. Read your post wrong.

>why are you so mad?
He has to live next to New Jersey

It's beautiful and some people there are very rich but it's also super artificial. The buildings are disney, the people are fake, and the environment is shit.

Why are Americans so jealous of california?
It literally looks like paradise

>you will NEVER live in L.A.

No, tax isn't included in our prices, it's just that food and clothes are tax exempt
The state is 6% while philly is 8% and Pittsburgh is 7%
Also NY splits its sales tax between state and locality so every town can have a different tax
t. Pennsylvanian

But sales IS the way income is generated by places that, well, SELL stuff.

The real choice is between making this tax explicit % that's just added to each sale or something much less obvious.

Sales tax changes by city. So if I went to some store a few towns over I wouldn't know what it was unless I memorized every city in driving distance's sales tax.

>earthquakes, tsunamis, forest fires, junkies, bathsalt cannibals, producers, niggers

But do you know your LOCAL tax?

I had to search it up right now just to see that it's 8.5% where I live and 8.75% where I work. I knew it was anywhere between 8% to 10% but I honestly don't care and never have.

>food and clothes are tax exempt
Does that mean that eating in a diner is also tax exempt?

Why would someone pretend to live in a different country

>mexicans
>mexicans who unironically believe California belongs to mexico

>I knew it was anywhere between 8% to 10% but I honestly don't care and never have.
Well, knowing it's between 8% and 10% is pretty accurate, lol.

Ok, Americans let's settle this for once. Is Pennsylvania actually terrible? Surely German Immigrants didn't fuck up that badly r-right?

Yeah, I guess it's good enough. I think that range should cover entire California.

no.

>Why would someone pretend to live in a different country
Heh. Why I am not surprised to see you flag?
Anyway, the answer is: because in many third/second world countries that would boost your social status.

No there is tax in restaurants and fast food places because it is either considered to-go or prepared food or some shit
Only food sold in a super market is not taxed
Also I shouldn't have said tax exempt and should have said no tax. Tax exempt is something else

I thought every country does that. France does it, and it's 20% right in the butt.

A retailer has the option of including the sales tax in the price but choose not to because Ameeican consumers are dumb enough for their minds to be tricked into believing that an item that is 3.99 is three dollars instead of four dollars. If that item was 4.23 like it would be in my state they wouldn't be able to sell as much.

>A retailer has the option of including the sales tax in the price but choose not to because Ameeican consumers are dumb enough
Well, that's one side of the deal.
The other one is that this way everyone is US is pretty much FORCED to acknowledge the fact government is taking a tax from everything, from YOUR money.

Buy online. No sales tax.

I mean, trust me, it's MUCH better the US way.

Here, in Russia, majority of people actually think that the state somehow "created" all the money in the budget and is, thus, now free to spend those as they see fit. They literally do not understand that's the money THEY payed as taxes or what-not.

Sales taxes are levied by different authorities in the US. City(Town), County, and State authorities all levy their own percentage. The sum of these percentages is then applied to the total value of your purchases. As you cross from one authority to another the percentage of total sales tax can change.

>Sales taxes are levied by different authorities in the US. City(Town), County, and State authorities all levy their own percentage. The sum of these percentages is then applied to the total value of your purchases. As you cross from one authority to another the percentage of total sales tax can change.
But that's the thing. If someone has no idea what the local sales tax is — it stands to reason he or she does not actually live there.

15% here in Quebec.

Its like 200% for cigarettes though, and the want to add a text on sweet / soft drinks so people stop being fat.

I agree.
Tell me Rus-bro, how are sales and consumption taxes in where you live in Russia?

To pay for the increased traffic generated by a new shopping center, my city enacted an extra half-cent sales tax on items purchased JUST in that new retail space for a period of time. (Ten years, maybe?)

>Tell me Rus-bro, how are sales and consumption taxes in where you live in Russia?
Heh. There is no sales tax. Government is going out of it's way to make sure consumers as such never actually see any "tax" in the price tag. And good price of the "tax" is not even a tax in legal terms, but something else "charge", for example.

I live there and it's the worst city in the state. There are much better cities in the south like Santa Barbara, San Diego, San Luis Obispo , and a lot more. Many people come to LA expecting it to represent all of CA but they're very wrong

Water you talking about? Our taxes are included in the price tag

Most people only know the general range, not the actual percentage. I honestly my can't remember it unless I check my receipt and usually right after, I forget it. It's one of those things you're so used to that you don't really think about it anymore.

Have you been to NY? They barely have any public service.

Sales tax here is 7.5%

>Most people only know the general range, not the actual percentage.
So far everyone knew the actual percentage within 1% accuracy. That's very narrow "general range" in my book.

The fuck are you talking about
Only people who like California are people who live in California

Really?

nope, 7%

Technically there is still a sales tax, the retailer is just paying it for you

You have "free" healthcare and universities.

"HДC" is not a sales tax. It's a different type of tax.

Similar in practice, but different non the less.

When e-commerce started there was no sales tax on online purchases, unless the company had a physical store in the same state. I dunno if that's still a thing or not.

No, at the end of the year you're supposed to report purchases you didn't pay tax on to your state's tax agency and then you will owe them the tax you didn't pay. Nobody fucking does this but it's what you're "supposed to" do.

>we have the same sales tax as the Netherlands
>still have pretty much third world infrastructure