lowrisc.org/
efidroid.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>ARM

Literal botnet.

>cant install own OS
>locked bootloaders everywhere
>locked drivers

Why would you want to bring that garbage to the desktop, where we have freedom?

>still no PowerPC desktop processors

>doesn't know ARM Linux distros exist
>has never seen low power server hardware

huh?

>I hate x86
...why?
Did it fuck your sister and shoot your dog?

>Geforce FX 5200

I'm sorry

I'm after an X800XT or a FireGL X3, but those fuckers are expensive. The 7800GS is just out of the question. But hey, this FX5200 is at least a bit better than the 4MX 440 it came with.

I mean you can use an ARM cpu in a desktop the same way you can use an x86 CPU in a mobile device. Its just gonna run shit because they werent desinged to do that. Also the ARM instruction set is a little lacking, so is the caching.

Use a phone as a desktop. All the necessary docks and adapters have been available for a few year. Or use an ARM SBC as a desktop.

>The 7800GS is just out of the question.
I got a few. But I ain't selling.

It merged back with POWER anyways.
Here.

raptorcs.com/TALOSII/

Already pre ordered mine.

>4800 usd
jej

With RISCV bringing real competition to cheap, low power cores now and moving up later the next 10 years of the processors market is going to be more exciting of the past 10.

Idiot. You do realise there is no common interface like a BIOS for ARM. Each Linux distro targeted towards ARM requires a unique bootloader. KYS.

A thousand times this.

>has never seen low power server hardware
Clearly you never bothered to look up specs. ARM servers aren't actually any more power efficient than x86 servers. That's why no one is buying.

>ARM servers aren't actually any more power efficient than x86 servers.

Felt it needed reiteration?

it is le untrue B)

Server grade ARM chips aren't like the ones in smartphones. Thing is that once you start scaling for performance, the advantage disappears.

>ARM servers aren't actually any more power efficient than x86 servers.
That proves it, thanks.

I want RISCV computer

Dont arm chromebooks use coreboot bios?

Well they are the only ones in the market that sell expensive powerpc server processors and desktop configs what did you expect?

are there any ARM laptops?

You're free to get a MIPS desktop

Yes

>Almost 2018
>Still no RISC-V desktops

> (You)
>Yes
can you give me some examples?

Time to standardize SBBR everywhere.

>People are too fixated with the instruction set and the CPU core, Torvalds said, but it ultimately is the ecosystem around the architecture that matters more.
>"What matters is all the infrastructure around the instruction set, and x86 has all that infrastructure... at a lot of different levels," Torvalds said. "It's opening a way that no other architecture is."
>A lot of application development happens on PCs with x86 chips from Intel or AMD. Compatibility matters for x86 chips and PCs, which have a unified model around hardware, development, and other infrastructure.
>The same can't be said about ARM. From hardware vendor perspective, that leads to a fragmented market, Torvalds said.
>"Being compatible just wasn't as big of a deal for the ARM ecosystem as it has been traditionally for the x86 ecosystem," Torvalds said during a fireside chat with ARM developers listening on.

Asus chromebook c201 (you can libreboot and install normal linux)
Pinebook(laptop made with an sbc)
Or you can wait for Eoma86 boards that are boards you plop in 3d printed laptops.

>still no itanium desktops
i hate x86-64

Yeah, I wonder if IBM could make a PowerPC processor that could compete with Intel and AMD's processors.

>implying bios isnt just another bootloader
consider an exit bag, retards like you have suffered enough and it will provide a painless way out.

>implying he implied bios wasn't a bootloader
Do you even x86 brah?
It's an interface to the hardware, and a hardware initializer, first and foremost, with the most minimal acutal "boot loading", that loads night but 512 bytes from disk. It is baked into the hardware so most software won't have to care a bunch about how the hardware works beneath it. Because of the loading limitations, you often need a second stage bootloader, such as GRUB, to actually load anything useful.

On ARM, you have no such interface, so every device needs an additional bootloader tailored for it, that does all the hardware-specific work of the BIOS and actually boots a proper kernel.

>ARM
>not POWER9

Niggawat

It still doesnt seem like an issue for the guys working on android or any of the arm devices that already exist.

I used to be into this idea, then I sat down and actually bothered to think about it and realized that 90% of the contrarians, including myself, who work themselves into a frothy lather over this trivial bullshit can typically never articulate a compelling argument for why they feel that way that falls far from these shitty talking points:
>high-end RISC workstations carrying five-figure price tags ripped my mom’s blue light special a new asshole in SPECfp92 25 years ago!
>x86 is so OLD haha, it needs to be replaced with that ARM thing that makes facebook go fast on my phone, I never heard of it before 2009 so it must be new right?
>These old Alpha brochures from 1994 told me x86 is like 50% decoding hardware! I don’t know what that is, but it forwards my agenda!
>Modern x86 chips integrate a backdoor for remote management, that’s unsafe! We need to replace them with locked down, surface-mounted SoCs that can’t possibly have these same features because only x86 can violate my privacy by design!
>I’m really bored of modern technology, and nothing livens things up more than changing something buried under several layers of abstraction and putting a different sticker on the case!
>I value ideological purity more than actually having a usable system, and x86 isn’t elegant(TM) enough!
An ISA is just a label, most of them touted as x86 killers are just about as old or shitty in one way or another, and propelling ARM or MIPS or even RISC-V into the desktop mainstream won’t do shit to free us of the “botnet” because nothing’s stopping an OEM from shoehorning that shit into whatever they please. If anything, a more open and vendor-customizable platform would be even worse in this regard.

Microsoft fixed that in 2013 with the Surface RT and windows phones

You could also re-coreboot any ARM chromebook, and have a payload other than depthcharge.
Why does libreboot insist on sticking with that?

I too love starting the fire.

>OGL extension hell: the ISA
Freedumbz shit never fucking works properly.

epik meme

Literally nobody on Sup Forums would give a fuck about this as much as they do without that super hip IBM logo on the headspreader.

Literally incorrect.

Yeah, I adore using eDRAM for L3, totally won't burn a hole in the socket!

Proprietary bootloaders, most of them can't even run proper linux.

They did, only for windows.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying that the lack of a proper universal interface is a huge inconvenience.

I never saw any serious interest (consistent shilling) in POWER chips here before POWER8, when suddenly Sup Forums seemed to collectively lose their shit and declare it some up-and-coming x86 destroyer even though it’s never been more marginalized and irrelevant than it is today.

I'm so glad you caught this, better let all the engineers at IBM know about their fuckup.

I'm seriously interested in many things, I don't shill any of them on Sup Forums though. That's a fucking terrible way to gauge interest.

Well, IBM has been shitting irrelevant housefires for how long?
Why don't they simply kill the POWER?

anyone?

>Why don't they simply kill the POWER?
I'm going to guess because they make money off of it. That's sort of what corporations do.

By “serious interest” I mean that in Sup Forums-terms, how frequently it’s discussed and injected into conversations.
Same reason SPARC lasted as long as it did; vendor-locked shops, legacy applications and legitimate niches. Enterprise hardware is very lucrative.

Well I mean SPARC is still coming out with some crazy shit

>>doesn't know ARM Linux distros exist
>>has never seen low power server hardware
Does not know most consumer ARM chips come with something called ARM trustzone to control your computing and enforce DRM.

Your saving grace from Intel ME or AMD PSP is a lie my friend.

Your only option is the power hungry space heater called FX-8370/FX-9590, though in the winter it is quite comfy.

Wasted quads

>wasted

isn't that way different though?
I remember we had this discussion back in the /hrt/ threads and ended up with the conclusion that is isn't the same shit as ME/PSP

For sure, too bad Oracle fucked the platform over beyond recovery. Now they’re shitcanning further development because unsurprisingly nobody was going to touch their shit software and overpriced hardware with a 10 meter pole if they could avoid it.

PSP *is* a TrustZone implementation.
Each modern AMD processor has a Cortex-A5 core embedded exactly for it.

>I remember we had this discussion back in the /hrt/ threads and ended up with the conclusion that is isn't the same shit as ME/PSP
Trustzone is a black box, the only conclusion you can draw is that you will not know what is does unless there is a leak, that leads to the ultimate conclusion that you cannot trust it.

POWER was not available on consumer market and there was no need for it until the stuff pulled by Intel ME and AMD PSP.

POWER8 was also a disappointment in processing power relative to its price when compared to x86_64 offerings from Intel.

POWER9 is starting to be a real competitor while it's still very expensive.

>while it's still very expensive.
Then how it's even a competitor?

Well OP you can buy a Nvidia Jetson TX2 Developer Kit which is basically an ITX board that you can put in a normal case with normal hardware. You can install Ubunty, Opensuse etc on it with no issue, these are the specs.

Jetson TX2
GPU NVIDIA Pascal™, 256 CUDA cores
CPU HMP Dual Denver 2/2 MB L2 + Quad ARM® A57/2 MB L2
Video 4K x 2K 60 Hz Encode (HEVC) 4K x 2K 60 Hz Decode (12-Bit Support)
Memory 8 GB 128 bit LPDDR4 59.7 GB/s
Display 2x DSI, 2x DP 1.2 / HDMI 2.0 / eDP 1.4
CSI Up to 6 Cameras (2 Lane)CSI2 D-PHY 1.2 (2.5 Gbps/Lane) Gen 2 | 1x4 + 1x1
Data Storage 32 GB eMMC, SDIO, SATA
Other CAN, UART, SPI, I2C, I2S, GPIOs
USB USB 3.0 + USB 2.0
Connectivity 1 Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11ac WLAN, Bluetooth
Mechanical 50 mm x 87 mm (400-Pin Compatible Board-to-Board Connector)

Also fuck you for making me write this because I hate Nvidia with a passion, but those assholes do make good products.

>Denver
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
HAHAHAHA
HAHAHAH
HAHAHA
Just buy a fucking RPI3.

I hate you.

If you hate binary blobs and Intel ME but still want workstation class performance there's an option now.

It's still cheaper than many high end home computers in the 80s if you apply inflation correction.

>It's still cheaper than many high end home computers in the 80s if you apply inflation correction.
>It's still cheaper than ye olde shit from the times of vendor lock-ins right and left before PCs became a commodity
How the fuck is it even a competitor?
You know how Opteron murdered big iron?

>M-Maybe this is the promised land of no botnet.
ARM fags will always believe this.

Yeah, for Microsoft devices. What about everybody else?

>ARM fags
Do these ever exist?
I doubt anyone on Sup Forums ever read AArch64 spec.

He never said they knew their shit, he's just saying they've got a boner for ARM

>boner for ARM
But why?
It's a shitty ISA.

ARM is a meme that should have stayed in low power embedded devices.

Reminder that this is a thing.
cavium.com/product-thunderx-arm-processors.html

48 fucking cores at 2.5GHz!!!

muh x86 boogeyman

>What is IPC
>What is advanced branch prediction

Please cuck that thing will be destroyed by a consumer intel i7

I'd love to get one of their MIPS systems

Nigger you can literally run the same grub binary on all windows arm devices

Android is a piece of shit

>all windows arm devices
Still not a unified interface.

>i7
A quad core i3 would be enough

How much power does that thing uses?

What do you think UEFI stands for?

Do you even know the principles that make the ARM architecture?

You don't, because otherwise you wouldn't be asking.

no it didn's fuck my dog or shoot my sister

So, why isn't this a thing among Sup Forums yet?

Something that only works on x86.
Holy shit I feel like I'm talking to legitimate retards here.

>UEFI only works on x86
Nigger I know very little about this, and even I know you're talking out of your ass.

From wikipedia:
"Standard PC BIOS is limited to a 16-bit processor mode and 1 MB of addressable memory space, resulting from the design based on the IBM 5150 that used a 16-bit Intel 8088 processor. In comparison, the processor mode in a UEFI environment can be either 32-bit (x86-32, AArch32) or 64-bit (x86-64, Itanium, and AArch64)."

I just want my riscv raspberry pi already

lowrisc.org/

>500$
LMAO

>before POWER8
Gee I wonder why, it's almost like consumer PPC and POWER chips weren't even likely until OPENPOWER which was around that time even if consumer models STILL aren't really a thing but at leats around that time the prospect was there that it might be coming.

Also architecture threads are pretty rare anymore, it's not like there's much variety in the market or opportunity for anyone outside of big production. Not like when anyone could just go buy a powermac.

Qualcomm 835 laptops are comming in 2018

Are you talking to yourself then?

All Microsoft arm devices boot from UEFI, I am one of the ones porting Windows 10 to ARMv7 devices

>Gee I wonder why, it's almost like consumer PPC
But there were used/are everywhere from video game consoles to cars to home routers.

UEFI was developed for Itanium

And we used to talk about them. Now Sup Forums consoles are x86, home routers are ARM or rarely sometimes still MIPS, and I have no clue what they do with /o/ stuff.

>Android is a piece of shit
Only if it's not running on a qualcomm device

efidroid.org/