Can somebody clarify something for me

Can somebody clarify something for me
If you have 16GB of RAM why does it matter if your OS takes up 50MB more than it could
What's the fucking point in having all this RAM that you're not going to use???
??????????

Because G is retarded. We even have threads here comparing windows folder sizes. This is why I can never tell people about this forum.

It doesn't

That's why I use Node OS

I link un-tech-savvy people such as relatives and old friends here if they ask me what computer they should buy

let me break it down for you.
I bought a retarded amount of ram so that I can run a retarded amount of things at the same time.
I did not buy a stupid high quantity of ram so that pajeet and every other retarded can have a higher resource allowance on my machine.

the question i'm asking is about why people are so obsessed with minmaxing their OS RAM usage when, compared to today's RAM quantities, it's peanuts?

To keep programmers from being retarded. They have to consider a portion of their users that are using 2GB of ram.

you're still not understanding my question at all so i'm going to pretend you're just a Markov chain bot

Reposting rant

The thing for me when it come to this is that I'm kinda disgusted by the amount of bloat in popular applications and environments.

Let's take the picture viewer as an example. What does it do? That's right! It views pictures! We have also seen picture viewers that can run with very tiny amounts of ram, and do their job pretty well. Why then should we be using a picture viewer that does the exact same practical thing as this minimal picture viewer, but is 10+ times heavier?

I've heard this a lot, the whole "lel just get a newer computer grandpa!"
I'd like to let you know that I use minimal setups both on a 2012 Fagbook Pro, and a Xeon workstation being used as a desktop. Both of these have 16+ GB of memory.
What you have to understand is that just because we have the resources, doesn't mean it's right to use them to the limit. Why should we artificially use more resources for the same tasks just because we have the capability to do it. That's retarded. At that point we should just rewrite the kernel in electron because clearly anyone who has a problem with that just needs to download more wam.

Another key component for me is that achieving a high level of minimalism often involves switching to a vey terminal-heavy lifestyle. This is good as it provides a universal interface. The interface used to shitpost, consume content, and whatnot, is the same interface that would be used when administering a server, when configuring my NAS, when working with Amazon EC2 installations, etc.

Why do you hate keeping things simple? Why do you want things to use more resources than they have to to complete their function?

because that's 50MB less that i could be using for something actually useful

He did answer your question. Programmers are retards that want to hog all of the system resources. They want to act like their program is the only thing running on a computer.
People who multitask use all of their ram. When Im busy on shit Ill typically be using almost 40gb of ram. Programs that think they are entitled to an unlimited amount of ram piss me off, same with cpu usage. why is pulse audio using 35% of an i7?

>When Im busy on shit Ill typically be using almost 40gb of ram
when you put it that way i'm a RAMlet who can barely conceive using 8GB at a time, let alone 40GB
I just think it's silly that people rice things as hard as possible and end up just lurking on here posting anime screenfetches

Because when I'm editing video, shitposting, watching a video, and have 10 tabs open on crome; lots of ram is being used.
Like 15gb or more.
So m16gb is almost not enough

>chrome

>not going to use it
nigga i actually run programs on my computer unlike a majority of Sup Forums

For the same reason you hire competent people to build a house.
If things are done poorly, something fishy may happens.
You're aware of the defects and things you can improve/should do if you're yourself in the field.
Wanting to use the best tools is not something strange.

>Hurr durr unused RAM is wasted RAM.

having something that you don't use is the definition of waste

and using programs that artificially use more just for the sake of not having unused ram is an even bigger waste.

>why does it matter if your OS takes up 50MB more than it could
On the one hand, it's just wrong as a matter of principle. Developers today take the fact that almost everyone has at least 8GB RAM as a license to write shitty, bloated programs using meme tools like electron. Bloat is also often the result of shitty added features no-one asked for, e.g. literally everything new in windows 10. On the other hand, all that extra RAM usage quickly adds up. Say you're a gaymer, so you have chrome and discord open, and suddenly you don't have enough RAM left to play a game. Or you develop some shit for android, but you can't run an android vm with 4 GB of RAM, because chrome and intellij are hogging it all up (actually happened to me).

>What's the fucking point in having all this RAM that you're not going to use???
Usually the point is being able to specific, heavy programs, like recent games or virtual machines (for shit like printer and scanner drivers in my case). Another reason for having a ton of RAM is future proofing. I'm fucking glad I got an extra 8 GB stick for my laptop back when it was cheap.

Guy you replied to here, yea that shit is stupid.
one of my vps that runs headless, for the entire system, uses only about 30mb of ram. it runs a voip server on arch. Its entire resource allocation is only 50 or something mb of ram.
my host os uses only a few hundred mb of ram until I start the de (unriced plasma) and then it magically needs more than a 1gb of ram, which doesnt baother me at all.

Im not a ricer and I have never riced an os in my life other than rainmeter a decade ago and putting system monitor widgets in the corner of my screen out of boredom last week.
one single thing using 50mb of ram is negligable.
one thing using 50 mb MORE than it should be using when it should only be using 5mb is a problem.
Open task manager or htop, view all tasks running on your system, and imagine each one of them is using 100x the amount of ram the should be.
Now realize that almost all of them actually are using more ram than they should be.
now imagine how far 8gb of ram would get you if everyone programmed responsibly.

pic related, this is the template for my vpss. its arch, using only 50mb of ram on a 5gb harddrive image. uefi and x86_64 architecture.
idk why this install is using 50 instead of 30, the 30 vps got deleted so I cant check. Might have something to do with switching to uefi, or maybe a programmer decided to get sloppy at some point since my last install.

so you can shitpost this crap more you fucking idiot

>G
>forum
Reddit begone

Cache

Id be fine with my OS taking up more ram if it actually did something impressive with it. It never does. If I'm staring at a blank desktop and I'm using over a GB of ram. THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG