Is it true that Euoropeans can't afford cars and have to ride their bikes in the snow?

Is it true that Euoropeans can't afford cars and have to ride their bikes in the snow?

I told some Euro friends of mind that I own two cars and they were in awe. One of them said something like "You must be eating at five star restaurant every day!"
Now, they do a thumbs up and wink whenever they see me. Weird shit

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/cars/comments/2iql6h/how_and_why_cars_are_expensive_in_norway_tax/
ncsl.org/research/transportation/registration-and-title-fees-by-state.aspx
youtu.be/4lKq1fGtXFM
data.oecd.org/earnwage/average-wages.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It is true that european nations dont go war for oil so their fat citizens can afford gas guzzler ride to sharty mart everyday or wait in a drivetrough.
It's expensive.

I splurge on public transportation during the winter, but ride my bike the rest of the year.

SHART

Tbf, Gas is a lot more expensive in Europe due to the far higher taxes on it.

This

Cars are shit anyways, only motor bikes and cars with 2+ people should be allowed on the streets.

>I told some Euro friends of mind that I own two cars and they were in awe. One of them said something like "You must be eating at five star restaurant every day!"

this never happened

I have a car and a bike, just like 99/100 of all norwegians.

Some cities do have HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lanes to incentivize carpooling, especially during rush hour.

Traveling primarily by bike sounds comfy.

Get off welfare and you'll buy a car too.

What about Norway though? They have a high amount of oil as a natural resource but still charge an arm and a leg for a liter of fuel.

>have to ride their bikes in the snow?

Only in Denmark and the Netherlands

I'm not on wellfare.
I'm in university.
And I'm working on the side so I won't need to go into a lot of debt.
But I have five more years of poverty left, and then six more years of relative poverty, before I take my place in the middle class.
I'm assuming that I'll be able to buy a motorcycle in my first year of working, though.

Maybe due to taxes. Gas is $1-4/gallon in the US. (Roughly $0.33-1.33/L) What are the Gas prices in your country?

I don't miss the life as a student, albeit I was never in your situation even then. If you have five more years, it means you'll earn more than me I'm guessing(I'm only a bachelor grad). I'm glad for you.

See - I don't want to be rude or go into a penis contest, but we're wealthier than americans.

>I don't want to be rude or go into a penis contest, but we're wealthier than americans.

Except you can't buy anything because its super expensive AND you're already taxed heavily to begin with lol

The average Norwegian is poor

Even though this picture shows an $8000 difference the real difference is much greater because Norwegians get much less for their money while Americans enjoy everything from cheaper food to cheaper gas and housing.

>Except you can't buy anything

We actually can.

name one thing which you think ain't typical in a norwegian household

A car without 100%+ tax effectively doubling the price

reddit.com/r/cars/comments/2iql6h/how_and_why_cars_are_expensive_in_norway_tax/

Hi people. I recently saw a thread on best and worst countries to be a car enthusiast, and Norway popped up frequently as an answer. I'm about to show you why. The average salary in Norway is about 60,000k dollars, but still we got one of the oldest car-fleets in Europe. This is because of extreme taxes on everything. Power (hp and kw), weight, age, so on. A Chevrolet Camaro (3.6 litre V6) is over 156,000 dollars here in Norway (if I were to import). Why?
Value-added tax = 9,000 dollars
Tax for the weight of the car = 15,000 dollars
Engine tax (horepowers mostly) = 27,000 dollars
CO2 tax = 72,000 dollars
N0x-tax (nitrogen oxide) = 1000 dollars
First-time registration (to get license plates, don't know what this is called in us) = 115,000 dollars
In case you want-to-scrap-your-car-tax = 400 dollars
Total taxes for a Chevrolet Camarao V6? 125,000 dollars. This does not, of course, include shipping, insurance, gas, so on.

In Florida it's never enforced outside of rush hour.

No, that's wrong. We aren't much more taxed than americans, and pic related.

Picture shows actual individual consumption (price level adjusted) which measures the amount of goods and services consumed by individuals. While GDP per capita is often used as an estimate of the material prosperity of a country, actual individual consumption per capita may provide a more accurate picture of residents' actual living standards.

Now, pic related doesn't show for USA, but you'll see that despite our high prices we are richer than the rest of europe. I'm sure you don't live as good as we do either, but this graph sadly won't prove it.

average household in Norway has two or more cars. We don't buy useless gass gusslers hillbilly tractor cars tho.

>Cars are shit anyways

t.bus rider

>First-time registration (to get license plates, don't know what this is called in us) = 115,000 dollars
>115,000 dollars
This can't be real? Here it costs 34 dollars to get a license to take the 2 tests one written and one driven. Title and registration that gets you liscense plates cost anywhere from 10-100 dollars depending on the state

ncsl.org/research/transportation/registration-and-title-fees-by-state.aspx

No, that's not true. What the fuck, someone did acid before wroting that post.

hillbilly cars are heavily taxed in Norway too, and people in Norway thinks it's embarrassing to be seen alive in those type of cars

This isnt the whole picture though.

Your price of living is much higher. It costs you 5 dollars for a potato, 100,000 dollars to live in a shoebox apartment , 10 dollars for gas, and double the price of a car to get a car just for taxes.

All that chart shows is that Norwegians buy less because if they spent and lived like americans they would have no money because of taxes.

Here in America I can have your whole life for probably 1/3rd of the price

>In case you want-to-scrap-your-car-tax

No, you will receive 500 or so dollars when car is scrapped

the more cars, the more third world

>All that chart shows is that Norwegians buy less because if they spent and lived like americans they would have no money because of taxes.

The household standard in Norway is way better than USA.

Even old crappy houses in Norway has up to date bathroom and kitchen. Not joking with you now pal

You didn't understand the graph, did you? It shows we buy more than other europeans, not less. AIC shows how much we consume in goods and services(price level adjusted - stop whining about the prices).

Yeah, it's mostly a substantial boon during rush hour.

Yes, it's true
youtu.be/4lKq1fGtXFM

where's the sauna?

Not him, but what do you mean by "up to date" bathroom and kitchen? Pretty much all American houses have those.

>Even old crappy houses in Norway has up to date bathroom and kitchen. Not joking with you now pal

>Everything is good because its modern

LOLOLOl okay yeah your commie block housing the size of my walk-in closet is superior to having an actual house with a front yard, backyard, trees, 2 floors, 3 bathrooms, 4 rooms a 2 car garage for the same price of your place. We have the same modern houses btw and they're bigger and better than in your country.

You aren't fooling anybody bub.

USA NUMBER #1

Wow thats bad, no sauna. Into the trash it goes.

I have an american friend, she is middle class university teacher, and she has to have a roomie to rent a place. She's not alone, in fact it's like that in most of USA, she tells me.

She also tells me, after a couple of visits here, that everyone in Norway live a lot better than the average american. You're just one of those americans on Sup Forums who try to paint a better picture of America.

>2 floors, 3 bathrooms, 4 rooms a 2 car garage
>3 bathrooms
You really need 3 to containt your sharts?

Who cares if all youre consuming is 5 dollar potatoes because you can't buy a car or anything of value without being taxed to death?

I can show graphs too.

data.oecd.org/earnwage/average-wages.htm

>Average wages are obtained by dividing the national-accounts-based total wage bill by the average number of employees in the total economy, which is then multiplied by the ratio of the average usual weekly hours per full-time employee to the average usually weekly hours for all employees. This indicator is measured in USD constant prices using 2012 base year and Purchasing Power Parities (PPPs) for private consumption of the same year.

Here is a map adjusted for Purchase Power Parity something you don't know about.

>I have an american friend, she is middle class university teacher, and she has to have a roomie to rent a place. She's not alone, in fact it's like that in most of USA, she tells me.

>Basing you knowledge on a single person

>Visiting a country on vacation you're not taxed heavily in for a car or housing and other commodities is the same as living there

>Believing what a girl says

All that matters is that norways bank account is +1000000000000000 dollaridoos while the others are swimming in debt.

What country?
If they're Greek or , say, maybe Polish, then of course they'd be surprised.
If they're British, French, or Swedish, for instance, they probably wouldn't care.

>Falling for the troll

Everyone here have cars. We eat well and don't need to live on potatoes or anything like that. We go on average on more travelling vacations than any other people in the world, we spend more money on christmas presents on average than anyone else in the world, including americans, we spend more money on sports gear and hobbies than anyone else in the world. Even more than the Australians, who are the richest in the world. You can assume what you want about our living standards, but you should come here and see for yourself.

Switzerland being the richest*

>she is middle class university teacher, and she has to have a roomie to rent a place.

She's dumb then. University teachers are highly paid. Regular high school and elementary teachers are even well payed too. You can own a home easily teaching 5 year old kids all day here in America.

She probably has a roommate by choice

You're still posting the gross numbers, the adjusted numbers are here Remember Norway. America is your master. We are your owners. We protect you while you sleep and we can crush you at any time.

I am actually pretty sure that Norway is one of the better countries to be a car enthusiast in. Here in Europe I think only Sweden and Germany are better. Maybe the UK, too. But insurance rates there are like prison rape, to be honest.

>You're just one of those americans on Sup Forums who try to paint a better picture of America.

I can't think of a single country that paints a better picture of themselves here.

>where's the sauna?
nah we just take a really warm shower instead

>LOLOLOl okay yeah your commie block

worse than commieblocks. looks like a retarded 16 yo kid's first save at Cities Skylines or Simcity.

Not too different from a neighborhood in the Midwest 2bh.

>Apartment buildings shared with other people

>Not owning your own property