Anyone else just make up new dishes by mixing delicious things from different cultures...

Anyone else just make up new dishes by mixing delicious things from different cultures? I'm making taco spiced mini-meatball and bacon burritos with swedish flatbread baked for just a minute in the oven with olive oil, cucumber, iceberg salad and assorted spices. Fucking delicious. No pics but let me tell you it's amazing.

Also with salsa but I guess no one here likes food :(

Yeah that's always what I do.

I'm not usually aiming to mix things from other cultures specifically; usually what I do is look up my ingredients and then see what different countries do with them, and combine the concepts that seem good.

Honestly, food prep around the world is pretty similar, the more I look at it. I think you could give me almost any local grain, veggies/fruit, dairy, spices, and/or meat, and I could produce a pretty tasty meal out of it.

Soon I am going to visit Korea and I forsee myself taking alot of ideas from there to combine with my cooking style, their cuisine seems great, I'm especially really excited for their spices/sauces, never had gochujang but it looks like something that's missing from my kitchen/life.

You seem experienced, gimmie some kitchen tips that will impress the qts. In general cooking is a real panty-dropper, at least here. I'm not even that good at it but in comparison to grilled-burgers-in-the-summer Sven i look like a god

Not on purpose, I'm a really shitty cook and a lazy shopper, so most of the time I just throw whatever I have on hand into the pot.
I guess I heavily abuse sesame oil. Just a couple drops gives everything a wonderful flavor and aroma.

>I'm making taco spiced mini-meatball and bacon burritos with swedish flatbread

This is why God hates Sweden

ok mr toast sandwich

I don't mean to steal your thunder or anything, but you do realize we've had meatballs and bacon for nearly half a millenium don't you? Yes, we sometimes use them for tacos.

That's because women don't do the cooking anymore so they want someone to spoil them whilst they laze around and grow fat

Sure, it's just an example. I do however think that more people should try swedish flatpread for burritos, it works really well. Got any sweet creations to share?

Yeah, I mixed your sister's pussy with my dick and we got an Eric Thor López.

those meatballs look extremely soggy btw, sauce should be added just before eating

Haha, well, I don't know what kind of tips to give you, since I don't know what kind of things you usually do. I'm not that experienced, I just cook for myself mostly, and to feed people, not to impress anyone.

I guess my favorite advice to give is that you can make pickles out of almost anything, and you can use pretty much whatever kind of spices you want to flavor it. Put some homemade pickled onions onto something and it will usually add a bunch of flavor. Make sweet and sour carrot pickles and put them on a salad...Pretty versatile. My favorite pickled things to make are sunomono and curtido.

Experiment with making sauces from scratch. That might impress some people. When I make Mexican rice I get tomatos, peppers, onion, and garlic, and toast them in a pan. Then I mash them up by hand in a bowl like a makeshift mortar and pestle (tfw no blender, feels like ancient times) and it creates a spicy tomato sauce to cook the rice in and tastes great.

Basically the more you learn, the less you will ever have to use things that come in a can unless it's for convenience, and probably to people who don't cook, turning some fresh vegetables into a sauce or a soup looks pretty cool.

I think alot of the best snack foods/comfort foods around the world are generally just variations on dumplings. That is, meats (or seasoned veggies and grains) stuffed inside some kind of leaf or dough and then usually boiled or steamed. Dolma, tamales, pierogi, gyoza...Everybody across the world loves those and they're all made pretty much the same way.

We cook ours in the sauce and mix deviled ham, sometimes bacon, into them. Whole different approach.

We do have flatbread, you can order it at any taqueria. I'd be curious to see if there's any difference with the Swedish stuff although, it'd probably be hard to get here. As for exotic combos couscous with pork in salsa verde works for me.

Yeah but it's done by a person from a Euro/NA nation guy so it's "rediscovered".

I'm just saying there's some merit to how people have been doing something for hundreds of years, I mean you do tend to pick up small bits here and there on how to make it better.

I like to make tzatziki sauce and then put it in a plain chicken burrito in a flour tortilla. Tastes breddy good.

Swedish flatbread is extremely different from what (I've tasted) in mexacan food. Traditionally eaten with reindeer meat, bretty good simple and portable meal when out doing stuff in nature. try it if you get the chance

desu that looks nothing like the meatballs i'm used too, I know making meat into a ball is an obvious thing and done all over the world

I wanna make sushi with buffalo meat or venison.

That does sound delicious, we do have a lot of recipes for deer but for obvious reasons no reindeer, how is it?

Kind of like other wild deer-ish meat meat I guess, with lots of pepper when made this way. I've never had any other wild meat besides Elk so I really don't know. Cut with a knife like gyros but in even smaller pieces and then fried in a pan at high temperature eaten in flatbread with butter, salt and pepper. Don't get me wrong, it's extremely simple but it tastes like nature here feels.

Nah man, I love simple foods, the key to good cuisine is having good basic dishes to build on, steak and cheese tacos with just a basic well seasoned salsa are about as good as Mexican food gets even if lacking the complexity and refinement of our mole sauces. Simple and natural is always good and that sounds like awesome food.

Whatever works. Sometimes you have to improvise and empty the fridge. I don't necessarily go out of my way to do it, but it can definitely be good. I've found that Italian and Mexican mate pretty well.

>even the food swedes have to blanda upp

Gonna make my own salsa next time, i just get the shitty stuff from the store. I have completely abolished ketchup in favour of making my own tomato sauce so this should be at least twice the improvement over store-bought salsa.

All the time. My hometown was mostly immigrants so I had ethnic markets available to me of all sorts, as well as being able to experience the household cooking of dozens of ethnicities through friends growing up.

>tfw stuck in the white """"foodie"""" city of portland for another year

Good, ketchup is a sugary menace.