Linux at college

I want to use my neckbeard linux set up at uni.

Is there a command line alternative to excel?

Share stories about using linux at college.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=K_8_gazN7h0
youtu.be/5Qj8p-PEwbI
github.com/andmarti1424/sc-im/wiki/Debian-install-walk-through
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Too late, servers at school already use Linux. You have to ssh into them to check if your homework works or to run Cadence for lab. Shit sucks when you don't live on campus

Look at sc-im for spreadsheets
Haven't given it a proper go myself but it sounds like the best one

It has been ok for me. My school requires a program that locks down my computer for test taking, so I just have a spare HD with windows on it just for tests. My school’s email is through outlook, so I cannot get it working through Kmail. Libre office is just fine, but it can be a little buggy with docx files. Also teachers love saving shit in pdf formats and expect us to type on them. Fuck PDFs… Overall though it works just fine. Battery life is kinda shit if you are in a 3 hour lecture…

Org-mode

lmao what you send people docx instead of pdfs
kek

GNU/Linux. Linux is just a kernel.

Did you just assume my userland?!

>Outlook through Kmail
MS doesn't support SMTP/alternatives? I've got my uni stuff to forward to my non-uni email address anyway

>pdf formats and expect us to type on them
Inkscape isn't great but it seems to generally work for this

>Battery life is kinda shit
Have you done anything to try to fix that? powertop and tlp seem to help quite a bit

Sup Forums's resident me man Luke Smith made a video about a command line spreadsheet program a week or two ago.

Google late or something nigger. I'm too drunk to explain it to you right now.

I've been using ubuntu during my undergrad. I set up what I thought I would use before beginning and haven't had time to tweak to get an edge, so it has been roughly the same as just using windows.

>alias linux=“GNU/linux”

>be in Europe
>go learn computer science at the uni
>"We don't give a shit about what you're running on your own computer"
>half of the computer labs run Linux desktops
>assisted programming exercises at Linux lab
>assisted data structures exercises at Linux lab
>labs with Windows are probably for non-computer science students anyway
>"You're going to need Matlab for this course. Here's how you can run one of our licenses over SSH from home if you have X windowing system."
>pretty much everybody is running OS X or some Linux for coursework

>all the windows and mac users having to ssh in to the school servers and write their shit in emacs for the projects
Feels great being able to code locally.

My school computers have Linux. Which is what I use because the other system they have is windows XP. The programming class we use them for has most of the class material oriented to using devc++ on windows but there are some instructions in a corner of the class website for how to follow the class from Ubuntu and even though they were made by a professor for the class of a previous year they still work and my professor is cool with me doing that instead so I'm doing it.

My university isn't quite as hardcore about linux use but yeah as I said in it's pretty accepted and they even encouraged us to get used to it because in later years we'll be using Linux a lot more. Love that push for free software that there was in Europe in the mid 2000s, even if it wasn't completely successful at least you can use software that respect your freedoms in most education programs.

Linux was great for my community college. Lots of young people there who were computer smart, and were very flexible at making things work on numerous OS.

When I transferred to my University, it was terrible. Everyone there is crusty and outdated. And it has been generally a huge headache. And sadly the education isn't too much better. I mean, I'm not paying for it, but I almost feel like I'm wasting my parent's money. Universities are a meme.

>not using libreoffice calc
>not using gnumeric
>not using excel 97 on wine
>not using handwritten csv's
lmao @ your gnu/life

was randomly nmapping ip addresses on the college network, came across some lecturers shitty site, exploited it with a 1=1 injection and left a few entries alluding to it. i have a startup systemd oneshot that spoofs a mac address on boot, all the same expected someone to figure it out but never heard anything about it

beside that a few people actually took an interest and I showed one girl how to grep text on her mac which she seemed to think was pretty cool. was just grep -rnw ./ -e 'text' but i saw her later using other commands and stuff

personally i used it for almost everything for 4 years except for papers and final submissions. word just has too many nice formatting options. if i'd had a slightly more powerful system i would've used it more often for programming modules. once i found intellij's ide ran fine i used it for scala and our functional modules and then finally for our distributed computing module in openmpi

it's a lenovo g505 i think, AMD-a4, 1TB hdd and 4GB of ram. put it through hell too; rain, snow and getting bashed about a fair bit. other people's shit died mainly because they'd never stop fucking eating over their machines from what i observed. that and just bad luck. some guys would have huge spec machines but they would often have gpu or board failures, or they just ran hot af because their normie owners had every piece of bloat installed on a win 8 platform

Reddit leave

where do u live.
i am the gnu/linux fbi
i will arrest u and tell my black friends to rape u

CT, USA

i can't help it user, i like gainful employment

At least quit using Reddit spacing.

They were mostly about pushing open source tools which in practice was pushing against Windows and for Unix-like platforms as setting up some of the tools on Windows was a pain.

If we had Windows Subsystem for Linux or better performing virtualization back then I bet a lot fewer people would've gotten OS X or Linux.

>teachers love saving shit in pdf formats and expect us to type on them.
Don't worry, editing pdfs sucks on windows too.

i've seen lecturers give students 0 over that shit user
>student uses wrong version of word or libre/openoffice, formatting is fucked or doesn't open
>well if i can't open it i can't grade it can i?

editing pdfs is stupid af but the non asshole lecturers always accept pdfs for submission

Sounds like python and emacs for you lad

>command line alternative to excel?
youtube.com/watch?v=K_8_gazN7h0
seems comfy af.

>youtube.com/watch?v=K_8_gazN7h0
This looks awesome!

Thanks for posting.

I tried to use Linux at college but my laptop wouldn't connect to their stupid ass wifi. Multiple pop-up windows came up to sign in when I finally went to Win10 that were just not present on linux

I've been using Linux in college for 2-3 years now with very little issues. i can connect to wifi, I can program in and out of school without sshing into the school server or logging on to the CS labratory computers and I can play some gaymes and shitpost here on my freetime in addition to look at pdfs and other documents relevant to class. It's been a very nice experience so far. Also, why not just use Libreoffice's Excel clone?

If I use windows in a vm, how easy is it for them to know I'm in a vm? Could I alt-tab back to linux, Google the test question, and alt-tab back for profit???

sc-im

If you are taking classes at any competent computer science or engineering school your classwork should be easier on Linux. Hell, all the machines in the computer science and ECE labs at my school ran CentOS -- except for the FPGA labs, cause Xilinx fucks you in the ass and forces you to use their bloated shit on Windows.

if they say they want you to use maple for something it turns out they actually mean it and using sagemath is not considered "close enough"

Use python for things like excel or any data managing.

>Fuck PDFs
this is pathetic.

>fuck pdfs

>Fuck PDFs
>t. LatexLet

I've always used Linux for University and so do all the professors.
Every paper has to be turned in as PDF unless you're in middle school anyway, so that's not much of a problem

Problem is if they give you a PDF and expect you to edit them.

idk.

google python xlsx. I bet a lot of python cucks made some shit just for you. I used some shit in nodejs a long time ago that was also sufficient for my needs. if you need to do shit like "pivot" tables, just export as "csv/tsv" and import into sqlite3 and do your join bullshit in a proper tool.

libreoffice raster editor isn't horrible for that. draw or whatever, or even krita.

it's configurable, but usually not anymore.

Evolution with EWS is the only FOSS functioning way to interact with exchange otherwise and it works fine.

then use a raster editor. inkscape and libreoffice draw can edit them.

J programming language

If virtual machine guest services are running, you're on a VM. Dunno what you're up to but dont try shit like that on school computers while taking a test.

I'm sure any semi-reputable test-taking software would be able to tell when it is being run under a VM.

In fact, people should use "Reddit spacing" more. It's called fucking formatting, and is easier to read than walls of text

It's one thing to use it as formatting

It's another to do this

Everytime you want a newline

It's fucking annoying

and takes up more space

then if you just did
this

youtu.be/5Qj8p-PEwbI

Lecturers at my uni just take any format going, I'm at a uni that hires professors that give a shit though. I'll write my reports in libre and export them as a PDF and that makes any of them happy.

y

e

a

h

o

k

a

y

I'm in Scotland and our uni just dual boots on all lab computers, the coursework requires you to run Linux or run it in a VM. Everyone runs a VM for some reason
>Infosec class
>Who here runs Linux as their main operating system
>I put my hand up
>"I can't believe I'm teaching a 3rd year computer science course where one person in the class runs linux"

Keeek

If you're serious about college don't use Linux, if you don't want to fail buy a MacBook.

Have you ever tried LaTeX? Blows the fuck out of every word processor of the market

Does really depend on what you're studying. I'm doing Physics and there is nothing better than Linux. Same goes for everything related to mathematics

My German CompSci faculty was 99% Linux.
Only the printer/scanner pool had Windows machines, with Photoshop and OCR software.

you probably had to install a certificate

My uni also required a certificate given with your institutional mail account, it's standard practice.

>Not using LaTeX
Beamer for PPT is soooooo cool
If you take notes in markdown, take a look at pandoc

Which Uni?

I was using it as the main OS for a while but it was a timesink. All the small things that bothered me took hours of reading forums and typing in bash editing files to make it a bit more functional. My laptop had no drivers for the videocard or some reason I couldn't set the brightness simply with the buttons. The screen was at full brightness all the time is very disturbing.

I don't know about excel, but I've been using linux for school, partly for work and full time private for 3 years now: I write all my notes with the asciidoc syntax and compile with asciidoctor. I publish homework with LaTeX, for both textual works and presentations (with the metropolis theme). Had some issues getting wifi to work because there wasn't a official documentation, but I got it eventually. I'm the only one in my class of software engineers that uses gnu+linux and I consider writing a guide for other students of the school. We program with java and I do my tasks in crystal as an extra effort. If you need any advice ama

>Buying a toaster worth 2000 dollars for a gimped OS that Linux can basically do everything is does and more
No thank you

>sc-im
This, the XLS/XLSX support is a nice feature. I've found this link useful github.com/andmarti1424/sc-im/wiki/Debian-install-walk-through

Use pandoc, not plain latex.

>tfw the uni has licenses for all students for the entire jet brains suit
>shit's comfy

My setup for LaTeX is sublimetext 3 + latextools + lualatex + syncthing for distributing between devices. Comfy af.