Install Linux Mint for the wife

>install Linux Mint for the wife
>she says to me after 30 mins "I like it, I will use it for work and install Wordfast"
>I tell her Wordfast has no Linux version and she'd have to pay for a compatibility layer
>"I will do it anyway"
>she says the touchpad on the laptop I installed it on isn't working
>I look at the computer, it has about 10 instances [not tabs] of Firefox open
>she is hitting the touchpad and saying it's broken, it's not, it's just very slow to respond, surprisingly
>she says "you think I'm a stupid girl and can't use a computer"
>she opens terminal
>types in 'penguin'
>"why is there no penguin"?

I think this will be a long road.

Other urls found in this thread:

winehq.org/
github.com/solus-project/linux-steam-integration
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

and what did your wife's son think about this?

Nice one m8

Works on my machine.

user@pc $ penguin
/~~~~~~\
/' -s- ~~~~\
/'dHHb ~~~~
/'dHHHA :
/' VHHHHaadHHb:
/' `VHHHHHHHHb:
/' `VHHHHHHH:
/' dHHHHHHH:
| dHHHHHHHH:
| dHHHHHHHHH:
| VHHHHHHHHH:
| b HHHHHHHHV:
| Hb HHHHHHHV'
| HH dHHHHHHV'
| VHbdHHHHHHV'
| VHHHHHHHV'
\ VHHHHHHH:
\oodboooooodH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Why the fuck don't you install Windows 7 anyway?
I tried _once_ to install a Linux distro to a non-autistic person, never again.

>she'd have to pay for a compatibility layer
winehq.org/

Yeah, she has a W7 but that's already registered to her desktop. This laptop had Vista, which is EOL. I don't tend to crack Windows versions.

Even so I get your point, Linux is a different language, a different world to some. I really hope she can make the transition in time.

I'm talking about Crossover, which is verified to work. Wordfast is vital to her business.

>trying that hard just for some slash gee likes
Women

crossover is a piece of shit

Why wouldn't you just install Solus?
What the fuck?

>knowing wordfast is vital to her work
>installing the OS without installing wordfast
Heh

at least it works and has developers that know what they're doing

You mean like wine?

I can't get steam to launch with mint 18.3, its fucking annoying me.

This to be honest, as much as Sup Forums hated me, kevinposting really did show us the light of Solus.

pwnt

are you being a retard?

if not, use the steam from the repos dont download it from the site

>And then you woke up with three day old cum soaked briefs

wine doesn't work and has incompetent developers

Either use a distro built and maintained by a competent Dev or port his software to your distro.
github.com/solus-project/linux-steam-integration

Idk senpai, wine worked great for getting Totala to run for me and it didn't cost me a cent.
I might try red alert 3 later this week if I'm bored enough. It's so simple you must be an absolute failure at life to not be able to double click on an exe in Linux or use Google.

>wife
>the
jej
>implying

more proof that arch fucking sucks and mint is the true enthusiast platform, I bet these cucks expect me to go the south pole and compile my own penguin because it's "the arch way"

>Installing some obscure distro.
>For person who is too... not-smart to deal with linux mint (and probably windows also).

>"her" existence
>implying

>"I like it, I will use it for work and install Wordfast"
>"I will do it anyway"
>"you think I'm a stupid girl and can't use a computer"

For some reason just from this I can only imagine your "wife" as a robot or Tommy Wiseau because of how stiff it is.

I actually when i reinstall OS for family/friend PC, i allways install linux mint (64bit cinnamon for stronger computers and 32bit xfce for weaker computers).
Of course before i do that stuff i allways ask what programs they use. If they NEED to use something what is windows only, i check out does wine can take care of it.

Not to mention, if there is any outside program what has linux version, it usually has it in .deb package (sometimes also in .rpm, rarely in tarballs) so they are compatible with mint.

And also mint xfce 32 bit runs easily and fast on over 10 years old laptop having problems with windows xp.

>Obscure distro
>Within the top 5 most popular distro
Are you alright user? You seem a little deluded and brain damaged

It's gotta be a relative of Tommy

>cinnamon

Post latest cinnamon version mr. smartass

>Mint xfce
How is that different from Xubuntu or any other xfce based Debian derivative?

>Mint has best driver manager.

Linux Mint Cinnamon is the only distro that holds a candle to Windows or MacOS out of the box. It actually outshines both. It is the best distribution of Linux, and as of Christmas 2017 it is the greatest operating system of all time

>Driver manager
>Big community
>Stable
>Codecs, java, flash player
>Flatpak

An easy way to get penguin on Mint would be to ask her boyfriend Tyrone to install penguin. It werks everytime.

my Linux Mint did a christlike thing a few days ago. my windows 8.1 install fucked up and wouldn't boot, I had mint on same ssd so I just copied all the fuckhuge programs (games) I had on windows to the shared 2nd hard drive, used mint to grab a Windows 8.1 iso from Microsoft and then used Mint to burn a DVD, clean intalled Windows 8.1 on the same ssd. to be clean I killed the Mint installation and formatted the whole thing again. All my games are safe and Linux Mint died for them

>install Ubuntu for my mom
>delete all the bloat
>set up Brave, Viber and Thunderbird
>mfw it just werks

Anyone can use Windows, it is designed for the stupidest people imaginable.

I doubt it. If that were true, there wouldn't be as many stupid relative greentexts.

Mac OS was the one designed to be used by retards.

No, they both are for retards. They're both like riding with two sets of training wheels. What difference do you think makes OSX easier to use than Wangblows?

>viruses
>fucking around with settings can mess everything up for the normie
>temp folder always full of shit, needs to be cleaned manually
>registry needs to be cleaned manually
>etc

It requires at least some maintenance to use, otherwise it will inevitably become slow and full of shit over time, whereas you just set up Mac OS, turn on toddler mode and let the retard use it forever.

No normie is gonna notice when their computer slows down, their tolerance for that is too high. They're used to using bloatware, because they're Windows users, so running slow is normal to them.

>Brave, Viber

you done guffed faggot

>>"why is there no penguin"?
Well?

>c-cinnamon i-i-is sh-sh-

Hurrr durr i hate cinnamon so i post some outdated pics with visual bug from past.

>delete all the bloat
>install other bloat
huh?

how is it better than KDE5?

>Patchwork quilt of Ubuntu packages that any monkey with a netinst of ubuntu or debian could make without the bloat.
>awful upgrade support
>Multiple happenings of mint team fucking up security
Yeah ok.

How autistic do you have to be to stress over something like this?

WTF I love cinnamon now

>Mint
>Not Debian or Fedora

last time I've checked Wordfast had a GNU/Linux version.You can't use a Word addon, though...daa
That being said - Linux is not a great OS for a professional translators or anyone who is actually using a PC for work for that matter (devs aside).

Mint's repos are some outdated shits.

>giant random ass gaps between taskbar elements
>i wanted to rename a terminal tab and... oh, wait
>same expose shit i can do in mate or kde, except i dont really care for animations so ill just turn them off WHY ARE THEY STILL ON REEEEEEEEE
>giant gaping wasted space in the file browser sidebar is still a thing

>>giant random ass gaps between taskbar elements
>>giant gaping wasted space in the file browser sidebar is still a thing
>what is the difference between left-, center- and right-aligned elements?
>>i wanted to rename a terminal tab and... oh, wait
tabs can be renamed in the XFCE4 terminal that's being used in the webm... what are you talking about, retard?
>>same expose shit i can do in mate or kde, except i dont really care for animations so ill just turn them off WHY ARE THEY STILL ON REEEEEEEEE
don't ever forget to take your autism pills

>needing to install a better DE's terminal cause the one that comes with yours is gimped

>Christmas day 2017
>Cripple your wifes laptop with shitty Linux crapOS

You're so smart man but you'll be crying and trying for weeks to figure out why she left you for another man.

>the one that comes with yours
which is gnome-terminal
congrats, user, you're very smart

>wifes
>implying

Just buy her a chromebook.

>open terminal
>type "install dark souls"
>doesn't work
The absolute state of....

>her

>she'd have to pay for a compatibility layer
Why don't you just try wine? Worth a shot at least.

>she'd
>implying

crossover devs do a majority of the work on wine.
given that crossover is just a fancy layer over top wine

chirst, you turbonerds suck at this

>have to pay for a compatibility layer
Why would you just lie to your wife?

Oh yeah you made her up just like this whole story.

Aaaand this is how her productivity halts and eventually gets fired at work.

T-thank you neckbeard senpai

>"her" existence
>implying

> (OP)
>Why the fuck don't you install Windows 7 anyway?
>I tried _once_ to install a Linux distro to a non-autistic person, never again.
This might have been true 20 years ago, but not anymore.
My mom is not a tech person at all, but asked me to install Linux on her laptop after it updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without her consent and she didn't like it. I set her up with mint and she is happy with it

What