Thoughts on faceid? creepy botnet or neat gimick?

Thoughts on faceid? creepy botnet or neat gimick?

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/04/11/smartphone-fingerprint-scanners-could-easily-fooled-fake-prints/
wired.com/story/10-year-old-face-id-unlocks-mothers-iphone-x/
reddit.com/r/apple/comments/54pd27/iphone_7_touch_id_works_with_wet_fingers/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's useless.
Apple has ruined yet another good feature and replaced it with something much worse.

Useless, like Siri and touch ID

Useless gimmick.

Far more accounts of people being able to unlock other peoples' phones in the first couple months than TouchID ever had, especially thanks to that China debacle.

It's not anywhere as high tech under the hood as they claimed and it's slower and less accurate than fingerprint, so they ruined the good thing they had.
Watch them continue to stubbornly continue trying to sell it as the future on their next devices while it still can't tell one Asian person from another with any real degree of accuracy.

Completely useless gimmick and more of a CIAnigger botnet than anything, same with the current meme of CIAnigger toys (Alexa and Google variant).

I am someone who has used touchID for 2 years and has now switched to faceID.

First, anyone who tells you faceID is less convenient is lying.

None of these people have used faceID. It is actually a lot more convenient than touchID and feels like not having a password most of the time.

If you’re doing with your hands then touchID starts to fall rapidly behind. And that’s not even mentioning the rear facing fingerprint sensors on android phones which are even less convenient.

As for security, yes it is secure. Sure, some identical twins have unlocked it and some chinks have unlocked each others phones, but beyond that all the evidence suggests that it is a very secure method of unlocking a phone.

Any case of someone managing to unlock faceID will be made extremely public, because it’s a new piece of technology by apple and therefore will face a lot more public scrutiny. If someone unlocks a Samsung phone with the fingerprint sensor nobody cares.

ookay and as for CIAniggers having a 3d scan of every pore on my face?

Face ID is a fuckload less secure and much slower.

>Be Chinese
>The whole population of China, Korea, Japan and Vietnam can potentially unlock my device with FaceID
>iToddlers try to tell me this is secure

If you’re that paranoid then you shouldn’t be using touchID either.

There is no evidence whatsoever for what you are saying and chances are you have never used faceID, and possibly never even an iPhone.

FaceID is a lot more convenient than touchID. TouchID is fine once you can easily place the finger on the sensor, but what if you’re wearing gloves, have wet hands, are holding something in your right hand etc., that’s where faceID really pulls ahead.

As for security, there is no evidence that faceID is less secure than touchID.

SOME chinks can unlock each others phone. As in, there were a couple of articles so in reality it’s probably less than ten cases excluding identical twins.

Fingerprint sensors never fucking work for me. I'm not sure what's wrong with my hands, but on both Android and Apple phones my failure rate is at least 40%. So maybe I'd actually like this solution.

>are holding something in your right hand
unlock with the left one. are you retarded?

>defending a flawed product

>creepy botnet
I doubt the sensor data is stored somewhere.
People upload images of themselves for free so why would apple want that PR nightmare of having that data leaked?
>but how would we know, we can't read the source code.
If the data was stored, it would take up space. If it is stored, someone would find a way to read it.
If it was stored to be transmitted, someone would notice that.
We can study the effects of certain things without looking at the code.
It might take a while though.
>neat gimmick
I don't see how it is neat at all.
The unlock should be fast and effortless.
Angle your face correctly is not effortless.
Fingerprint on the back was a better system.

I think you’re the retarded one.

What exactly is flawed about it?

It doesn’t have a 100% success rate in terms of security? Big deal, no unlock method (including passcode) does

telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/04/11/smartphone-fingerprint-scanners-could-easily-fooled-fake-prints/

As for Samsung’s facial recognition, that’s frankly a joke compared to faceID as it can be unlocked by a photograph

>Angle your face correctly is not effortless.
>Fingerprint on the back was a better system.

This isn’t an android iris scanner or facial recognition. You don’t need to angle your face correctly in almost all cases.

How is rooting around for a fingerprint sensor you can’t see more convenient?

You are moving the goalpost.
Just because I criticise apples unlock method (faceid) doesn't mean I think samgsungs face unlock is good.
Samsungs solution is much much worse.
Even googles "only ask for password if I left my phone on the table" security is better than that.

wired.com/story/10-year-old-face-id-unlocks-mothers-iphone-x/

Fuck off cunt

Chinks being able to unlock each others phones is not a "minor flaw"
Prrhaps youd be better off sucking steve jobs decomposed cock and not in a technology forum, yes?

>If you’re doing with your hands then touchID starts to fall rapidly behind. And that’s not even mentioning the rear facing fingerprint sensors on android phones which are even less convenient.
This is hands down, the dumbest thing I have read.

The rear facing fingerprint reader is probably the best and most convenient. I can have my phone unlocked and already ready to go before it's even out of my pocket with the fingerprint reader on the back.

For face ID to even start working it has to be in LOS with your face. It's not even close.

>but what if you’re wearing gloves, have wet hands, are holding something in your right hand
With gloves the touch screen won't really work either and you can assign multiple fingers, so your only argument is wet hands.
Fingerprint scanners are objectively faster. I'm not going to defend placing them on the back of the phone though, that's objectively bad.

>If you’re doing with your hands then touchID starts to fall rapidly behind. And that’s not even mentioning the rear facing fingerprint sensors on android phones which are even less convenient.
Did you have an aneurysm while typing?

>wet hands
Actually, some say that it can work with wet hands too, I didn't try
reddit.com/r/apple/comments/54pd27/iphone_7_touch_id_works_with_wet_fingers/

Apple fucked up. They should have continued to work on improving the fingeprint scanner instead of this gimmicky shit.

>As for security, yes it is secure. Sure, some identical twins have unlocked it and some chinks have unlocked each others phones, but beyond that all the evidence suggests that it is a very secure method of unlocking a phone.
You haven't seen any of the cases, have you?

Non-identical brothers could unlock the phone so long as the normally non-glasses wearing one put on glasses (the owner could either way).

Son could unlock his mother's phone.

A mask made from $50 in materials with paper cutout eyes could unlock it.

China's facegate.

>I think you’re the retarded one.
You can register multiple fingers.

At least you can on Android, I dunno about iOS.

>but what if you’re wearing gloves, have wet hands,
These are what are known as "edge cases". They are events that happen but don't happen the majority of the time.
Considering you can unlock your phone before you even see the screen close to 100% of the time while not wearing gloves (or having wet hands or whatever other predicament that prevents fingerprint scanning from working) the new found ability to unlock your phone faster in those cases doesn't outweigh the longer time it takes to unlock your phone in the majority of cases.

FaceID also creates new edge cases, for example helmets. If I am wearing a full face helmet, or something else that is completely covering my face, then I have to enter the pin to unlock my phone while with TouchID I might just have to take off a glove, which could be more convenient.

>As for Samsung’s facial recognition, that’s frankly a joke compared to faceID as it can be unlocked by a photograph
And there's a reason why the face unlock on Samsung's phones can't be used for things like Android Pay, it is considered an insecure unlock method.
I honestly don't know how security has been on the Iris unlock, so I won't try and argue anything there though I to believe it is slower than FaceID largely because it has a narrower field of view.

If you’re going to flat out lie there’s not much I can do other than say that the satisfaction rate with faceID is extremely high and I have no doubt that this is the future. No doubt in 2-3 years Samsung, google, OnePlus etc will catch up with allles current faceID and it will be the standard in all flagships. Until then you will continue shilling your backwards, less secure, less convenient fingerprint sensor.

>If you’re going to flat out lie
Straight back at you.

>You haven't seen any of the cases, have you?
Have you done any testing yourself?
Frankly, trusting the tech press on anything as click-baity as Apple is not a good idea.

I don't trust myself to be able to get the same level of test spread that the entire iPhone X owning population can.

I guess it's because you're too poor to own one

Or I just don't get into contact with several hundred thousand people.

I think I'd prefer finger print senpai on my phone the sensor is at the front so its the place where I put my thumb when I pick the phone up so don't even notice it it unlocks instantly I guess the face thing is cool though does it work quickly or take a while to scan your face?

>acts like its difficult to afford an iphonex
>could just walk into docomo tomorrow and get one for an 2835yen/month

Let's say it is indeed secure, why remove the fingerprint scanner though? More options have never hurt anyone, my phone has a fingerprint scanner and I still use a password to unlock it.

Because they couldn't fit it through the chassis with the wireless charging in the way without doing a Samsung.

Basically, pride.

I bought my iPhone X for cash. Credit is for chumps.

ITT: lazy spergs who cant even type a pin

>neat gimmick
More like useless gimmick. Definitely not worth losing TouchID for.

I agree.

But you state that people are too poor to buy an iPhone X and then accept that they can get them for cheap from carriers, so clearly you conflict yourself.

That leads me to doubt other claims you make, like you actually owning an iPhone X.

>notices the flaw in the security
>"b-b-but if you ignore it, its secure!"
Ignorant shill, post timestamp of your phone.

Also stop shilling the same bullshit claim that you make in . Samsung isn't involved in ANDROID'S development in facial recognition, Samsung uses Iris scanners, not some generic alternative that Android implements in the OS. Its even more secure than FaceID, literally impossible to crack without retinal lab research.