What's a concise...

What's a concise, normie-friendly explanation as to why having an Amazon Echo Show or similar big-brother devices hooked up 24/7 in your home is a fucking horrible idea?

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/08/01/amazon-echo-can-used-eavesdrop-conversations-hackers-reveal/
cnn.com/2012/08/23/tech/web/big-data-acxiom/index.html
npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/07/11/485571291/firms-are-buying-sharing-your-online-info-what-can-you-do-about-it
pcworld.com/article/2986988/privacy/the-price-of-free-how-apple-facebook-microsoft-and-google-sell-you-to-advertisers.html
consumerist.com/2014/06/12/facebook-is-now-selling-your-web-browsing-data-to-advertisers/
wired.com/2012/10/amazon-next-advertising-giant/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

>normie-friendly explanation regarding privacy
There's no such thing
Just let them get spied on

If you hold an opinion but are unable to explain why you hold that opinion you are an inbred fucking retard who needs to kill themselves.
To answer your question, "just because you don't have anything to hide doesn't mean that other people have nothing to find"

Irrelevant, the average joe drinks caffeine, smokes, drinks, eats fast food/junk food, and are obese.

How can they give a fuck about their privacy if they can't even give a single fuck about their body?

I share an apartment with 2 other roommates, not an option.
previous attempt:
>gave similar rhetoric to the one you suggested over a previous alexa that doa'd thank god
>"elaborate?"
>get a blank stare the instant i introduce a remotely 'geeky' word

Most reasonable people are willing to broach the topic if you bring up the bare fact that it's a device that is constantly listening to you and your surroundings. It's a dangerous proposition on the face of it

>"so what? they have to to hear when we have to say stuff to it"
>they record everything 24/7 and sell it to different organizations for profit, organizations are free to do whatever they please with audio footage of your house
>"That's ridiculous, they wouldn't do that. and even if they did that would be illegal
>by the time i show them a source they've lost interest in the subject

I don't think i put enough emphasis on 'normie-friendly'.

Hey dumbasses, you can monitor the traffic from those devices on your router.

It's pretty simple to see that they couldn't be sending audio based on how much bandwidth they're using.

You guys are literally fucking autistic and you're paranoid because you're probably also schizo.

It probably also has a lot to do with you not having jobs so why would you care about having an audio assistant tell you about your day, or tell you the traffic on your way to work, or tell you todays news.

Grow the fuck up and if you have something you need to hide from the government, you shouldn't be doing it in your everyday house anyways retards.

It's called a burner phone, or a burner computer, and it's called finding free wifi somewhere far away from home. You think your ISPs don't save every single thing you do on your home internet?

Jeezus merry fucking christmas, stop being spazoid rejects..

Hide CP on thier pc then tell them they are going to jail if they don't start caring about security

Are you dumb. The entire purpose of the device is to convert speech to text. Why would it send audio?

The NSA will know absolutely everything about the life of my country's head of state in 20 years.

hail stallman

>as to why having an Amazon Echo Show or similar big-brother devices hooked up 24/7 in your home is a fucking horrible idea?

You mean like a cellphone which is spying on your 24/7 no matter where you are, not just your home?

t. CIAnigger

> 2 other roomates
> arguing over star wars
> unpopular opinion expressed
> "hey FUCK YOU MAN"
> 20 minutes later a Twi'lek whore shows up from Amazon

my cellphone has problems picking up what i say when i am speaking directly into it. how well is it doing in my back pocket under half a ton of ass?

> no Alexa i said "ASS"

They're always listening, and that data is sold to advertisers (anyone anywhere can purchase your data).

The majority of normies are perfectly comfortable trading convenience for privacy.

...and not sending anything until you say the wake word. You can prove this because they can detect the wakeword with no network connectivity.

You're supposed to be coming up with reasons this is a *bad* idea.

>they record everything 24/7 and sell it to different organizations for profit

But that's wrong. Citation please.

Ok, even so:

telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/08/01/amazon-echo-can-used-eavesdrop-conversations-hackers-reveal/

Because they are already listening to you via your phone.
I have conversations with new people i meet and i will see an amazon ad for a product we spoke about with their profile on the suggestions tab

Did you even read the article?

>if someone can physically get to the device and get to the debug port on the bottom of the board, they can upload their own firmware and do whatever they want.

Security 101. If someone else has physical access to your comp^H^H^H^H smarthome device, it's not your smarthome device anymore.

Also, it runs linux, so you can technically get there first and do whatever *you* want with it.

We're talking about normies here, this sort of infiltration isn't exactly hard.

And? Every single device a normie owns is vulnerable to an evil maid attack.

I'm getting a Masters in information studies, which means I work really closely with a lot of people involved in information mining and metadata and with jobs or internships in the field, and some of the shit they describe is verbatim from Orwell's mouth. If you think companies aren't keeping track, you're an idiot, doubly so if you think they aren't selling it for a profit. You don't even have to be a big company or have particularly deep pockets; the amount of information you can get on Facebook users even as a startup is disgusting, down to the amount of seconds you spend with an ad on screen or visiting their page. This is literally common sense at this point.

Simple; do you want what you do in the privacy of your house shared for the world to see/listen to? Granted, lots of people do that already with the whole sharing there lives on Facebook shit, but still some things are best left unsaid/unaired you know? Do you want to see a vid of you banging your wife/gf/hooker on the internet for all the world to see? (or your boss sees it) Or if your having an affair do you want the husband/wife of the person your having the affair with to see the vid/proof of it happening? The divorce lawyers will like it but you won't

So, no evidence, no method of data exfil.

Your anecdotes don't mean shit, faggot.

BRO THE ILLUMINATI WANTS YOU TO HAVE THESE! DID YOU NOT SEE THE NEW TAYLOR SWIFT VIDEO?

There

Don't waste your time, it's useless. I tried to explain to people how terrible applecrap and gayming consoles are in the past but they called me a hater and stuff. So nowadays I just lean back, relax and don't give a single fuck about what a normie spends it's money on. I have so much better things to do with my time.

This
cite a source plz

The fact is that they listen to you all the time (probably when the sound is above noise floor, or some similiar algorithm). Now, in their terms of service it's probably stated that they won't sell it yada yada. However, they still have the data, and they are a big enough company to use that data, not just sell it. Also, data breaches are becomming common enough these days, and if you are unlucky, your voice data will be on the market. Whether this concerns you, decide for yourself.

>normie-friendly explanation
You are talking to people who post their homes, work, meals, vacations, friends and families, thoughts and ideas, etc, on facebook... and you want to warn them about loss of privacy?

Normies have no concept of privacy. They want ease of use and instant gratification. If you marketed an online bathroom webcam "But It Will Detect And Wipe For You WOW SO NICE!" they will take it.

Fight another battle. This one is lost.

Oh, and more on this:
-Every time you enter or leave a store, you are being recorded
-Every non-cash financial transaction is recorded
-The vast majority of highways and well-trafficked roads have cameras, so all your movement there is recorded
-Most public places have cameras

To most people, having an extra item in the house to record your activities is no big deal. It is barely adding 0.1% extra surveillance.

the echo is a pretty convenient way to play music and set alarms and stuff, my parents bought one and its pretty fun to use.

I personally wouldn't buy one because you can't play youtube or search google? Maybe the google home is better.

Yeah I know i'm trading convenience for privacy but i'll be sure to unplug it if i say something bad(?)

If it's listening for you to say its name, that means it's listening all the time, and everything it hears could be stored somewhere for future use.

cnn.com/2012/08/23/tech/web/big-data-acxiom/index.html
npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/07/11/485571291/firms-are-buying-sharing-your-online-info-what-can-you-do-about-it
pcworld.com/article/2986988/privacy/the-price-of-free-how-apple-facebook-microsoft-and-google-sell-you-to-advertisers.html
consumerist.com/2014/06/12/facebook-is-now-selling-your-web-browsing-data-to-advertisers/
wired.com/2012/10/amazon-next-advertising-giant/

You shouldn't act so smug when shit like this is literally the first result I get on Google. Let's also not forget PRISM, which shows that they're not just selling your info, but giving it to the government even if you think the rest of it is unbelievable.

Either that or you're a shill, in which case, keep selling out for a paycheck my man.

>most of my orifices are filled with cocks already so hey, I don't mind another one.

That is literally how the average normie feels about surveillance and privacy.

Let me put it into very simple terms.
Having a device like that in your home means that some company could potentially record every sound in your house 24/7. Everything you say near the thing could be recorded. Now, we're all human, humans sometimes say they're going to do things that aren't legal. So let's take a common example, you come home from the pub, you're drunk as hell, that one guy at the pub really got on your nerves and you're drunkenly talking to yourself saying that you're going to kill him. The device picks that up and because the company is on government payroll, the device alerts the local police that you are a potential threat to another citizen's life. The police are now directly monitoring you, they have digital access to your whole house, they're monitoring you through the device, your smartphone, basically every digital device that's connected to the same network as the device is now being monitored. You send your best buddy an IM (a message on Facebook or whatever) saying that you're going to kill that guy the next time you see him, all the while the police are following your every step. By then there's already a unit right outside your house in case you leave. The next morning you wake up and as you're passing in front of the house of that guy while you're on the way to work, a police car stops you and an officer shows you a paper and tells you he's going to search your car. You being the concerned citizen you are always keep a flipknife, a baseball bat or whatever object that's likely meant to be used as a weapon in case you have to defend yourself in your car. The officer cuffs you and shoves you in the back of his vehicle. A few hours later you're being interrogated and the interrogating officer doesn't believe you just said those things because you were drunk and angry and doesn't believe you kept those things in your car for self-defense and that you were on your way to work. The next day you wake up on day one of your 5 year sentence.