About to get a new laptop. Should I actually install Gentoo or just go with Debian? In my experience...

about to get a new laptop. Should I actually install Gentoo or just go with Debian? In my experience, everything tends to just work on Debian, and I'm not sure if I'm willing to spend hours installing and tweaking Gentoo just for a little less botnet and a little more performance.

Other urls found in this thread:

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20171223.iso
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

systemd is more than enough reason to not use debshit

Install whatever you want, when you'll get a real job you'll go back to Windows anyway.

Go with debian, if you are really really ready to install gentoo, you should know yourself. But debian gets things up and running fast. Also go with the minimal iso for less bloat on your system.

Holy fuck, this. This x1000.

to be honest, I don't mind Windows. Sometimes things catastrophically fuck up but it's not that much effort to just reinstall. What I don't like is what it's telling Microsoft about me.

suggest a distro without systemd with the same usability as Debian. Your comment has not been constructive thus far.

Not him but antiX is Debian minus systemd. It even has compatibility with the standard Debian repos, so you can get the good parts of Debian minus systemd

Go with debian but absolutely do NOT install anything dependent on systemDicks (e.g. GNOME) and replace it after installing. Best of both worlds desu.

If you don't care about SystemD:

- Debian Netinstall
- Antergos / Any other Arch installer
- Ubuntu Netinstall

If you hate SystemD:

- Devuan
- Artix Linux
- Gentoo

ubuntu

>anti-systemd faggotry

Pssssst,... Hey buddy.

You lost.

We won. Init is dead and will slowly fade to nothing. Systemd us here until its replacement comes along. Sorry. It's how depreciated tech goes.

Antix or artix? Which would Sup Forums recommend

Well, if you want to use something that just works and requires little configuration, antiX since it basically is systemd-less Debian. If you want a more customized system, artiX, which is Arch-based. Either one is great for not using systemd, but antiX is definitely more worth your time if you don't make a huge deal about having to configure stuff for a while.

Just leave Windows on it you mega pleb.

Mind blowing instant truth!

I'm fine wasting a day just to install gentoo, but how long does it typically take to just update? I don't want to have to sit my computer aside while it recompiles firefox.

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20171223.iso

dubs dont lie

Oh dang, a rational, helpful analysis! Am I on the right website?
Thanks m8

Debian/Devuan. Can't go wrong.

Unless you manually reduce your PORTAGE_NICENESS by a lot, you can easily use your PC while it compiles without it affecting your browsing or similar activities by very much. You can also increase the niceness if that's still not good enough for your hardware and use case.
Also - compiling on a tmpfs, my Pentium G4560 (2c/4t, 3.5Ghz) takes around 25 minutes for the Firefox package. (I think there's a use flag that doubles this time if you enable it.) Most packages finish in well under a minute.
If you're using really anemic hardware, consider having the computer compile while you're sleeping/at work/whatever. You can also interrupt compilation and continue it later.