Thoughts on Romero as a programmer?

Thoughts on Romero as a programmer?

Other urls found in this thread:

weh8videogames.wordpress.com/2012/05/07/childhood-sucks-fuck-you-john-romero/
youtube.com/watch?v=E2MIpi8pIvY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He inspired me to get a game design degree, now I work at wallmart.

A huge faggot that rode on Carmack's coattails.

He's no auteur.

He's no Karlie Kloss.

at least he's not a thief like carmack and actually has a soul

>as a programmer?
That would imply Romero knew how to program.
weh8videogames.wordpress.com/2012/05/07/childhood-sucks-fuck-you-john-romero/

Carmack said he was sorry and despite his actions was a very brilliant programmer. Only stupid third worlders love to attack carmack because they know they'll never be a fraction as good as him

carmack is a sociopath he doesn't feel sorry for anything
>As reported in David Kushner's Masters of Doom, when Carmack was 14, he broke into a school to help a group of children steal Apple II computers. To gain entry to the building, Carmack concocted a sticky substance of thermite mixed with Vaseline that melted through the windows. However, an overweight accomplice struggled to get through the hole, and opened the window, setting off a silent alarm and alerting police. Carmack was arrested, and sent for psychiatric evaluation (the report mentions 'no empathy for other human beings' and describes Carmack as 'a brain on legs'). Carmack was then sentenced to a year in a juvenile home.

He was 14. Yeah he was a punk, but given his age and he served his time I can overlook it. Everyone has skeletons in their closet user, don't forget it

>Everyone has skeletons in their closet user, don't forget it
I don't, since i'm not a sociopathic thief.

He will make you his bitch

I would expect no less than a brain on legs to be able to even fathom and then single mindedly carry out the creation of a third dimension when everything that existed at that time was 2D sprites on a flat canvas.

>I don't
Liar

Romero knew how to program, he made a bunch of games in the 80s all by himself for various platforms. Carmack personally admired Romero when they met at Softdisk because Romero simply knew more at that time. Even though at id Romero focused mostly on game and level design, he still wrote the tools to handle various game making steps, like a level editor for Doom for NextStep.

Reminder that Carmack didn't come up with the fast inverse sqrt.

He will pump your gas

Carmack is to Romero as Torvalds is to Jobs.

Sure thing rajeet

This, he had talent but he was more of a level designer than anything from Keen forward.

literally /oneofus/

I never heard of this and only respect him more now

Carmack is to Romero as Wozniak is to Jobs.

Based.

He's a designer not a programmer.

>Only stupid third worlders
so americans?

Going off Masters of Doom, he seems like fairly smart guy who had somewhat of a charmed upbringing.

That said, everything post iD has shown him to be a complete and utter wanker.

why the fuck did he take a fatass with him

>guy finds/steals iPhone and asks Sup Forums for help to unlock it
>fucking niggers! They need to be gassed!!!

>carmack breaks into government/private property to steal Apple products
>so based, truly /ourguy/

Daily reminder that Sup Forums is full of proto Sup Forumstard white trash

And where do you think the government gets all the money used to buy all this shit for school?

He wasn't alone in that venture and actually began development of 3D games parallel with the development of an Ultima game after hearing of the technology they were intent on using.

>not knowing what 1st and 3rd world even mean

We don't know if it was a public or private school. But your point is retarded anyway.

According to your Sup Forumstard theory, it is acceptable to shoplift as long as you pay for some items?

He's a good designer, a mediocre programmer and one of the worst managers of all time.

Carmack broke into the school so he could get hardware and learn to code, homeboy stole it thinking he might get paid.

>Carmack broke into the school so he could get hardware and learn to code
Speculation
>homeboy stole it thinking he might get paid.
Also speculation

>stealing is OK as long as you do it for the right reasons
The state of Sup Forums Sup Forums crossposters.

He didni't. Said so himself, it's code that has been passed down for 10-20 years before he stumbled on it.

A programmer without assburgers who made what he wanted with what he knew and who he knew.

Do you guys think Romero wears programming socks to go with the nail polish?

>being arrested for wanting to be a macfag

Ouch!

Yes

I believe Carmack has stated it entered the source through an SGI consultant. Hence the "what the fuck?" comment, he had no idea what purpose the magic number and integer subtraction on a floating point number served.

>large scale premeditated heist for thousands of dollars worth of computers
vs
>petty phone theft
The real difference is that a heist is cooler, reflects some degree of intelligence, and has an interesting story involved. Fuck off with your race baiting, there's no Sup Forums here, unless you brought it with you.

Was he in the wrong or Carmack?

tom hall followed romero out the door

pretty much tells you all you need to know

At least Tom Hall created something good.

hey that's pretty cool

why did Romero stop after Dai Katana? Im sure there are hundreds of AAA game studios who would hire him as a lead programmer so he can get his reputation back

>guy makes thermite and breaks into school
>same as niggers stealing anything that isn't bolted down
neck yourself

he also did anachronox which was ok

>why did Romero stop after Dai Katana
because nobody would give him money to piss away anymore

>because nobody would give him money to piss away anymore
it wasnt pissed away, there was a huge jump in processor speed and memory while the game was under development that required an entirely new game engine, he would have been laughing stock to release the game as it was originally designed

are you implying he wasn't a laughing stock anyway?

>part of team that made Doom
>laughing stock

>muh thermite is really advanced guise!
The only difference here is a very small degree of sophistication, which doesn't address the main point anyway, stealing is only done by scum.

Leave it to Sup Forumspol to justify and brand something as cool just because a white guy did it

Because the gaming industry made him its bitch.

>brain on legs

rly made me think

>The only difference here is a very small degree of sophistication
Didn't Carmack literally create a rocket company?

Much better hair that Karlie.

>why the fuck did he take a fatass with him
Do you know how heavy an Apple II was?

>why did Romero stop after Dai Katana?
He didn't. He kept trying in a number of companies and projects but nothing came close to id so no one remembers.

Not very. Bulky by today's standards, but not really heavy

He also attempted to steal computers, like a nigger, and who knows what else he stole.

Your point?

>Apple 2
>computer

>arguing semantics
>an argument
Pick one

Doom's anti-piracy/sharecode is funny, but I can't read the rest.

I'm more interested in the workflow id had and how they pumped out all those vidya.
youtube.com/watch?v=E2MIpi8pIvY

literally boys will be boys and if you were smart enough to make thermite in your teens in order to steal expensive computer equipment from your school you would have done it too.