How different are all the Slavic languages from one another...

How different are all the Slavic languages from one another? Are they as different as all the Germanic (Norweigan and English look nothing alike) or Romance languages (French and Spanish look nothing alike) are from one another?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkans
youtube.com/watch?v=pFCqUROWEKU
youtube.com/watch?v=aG5EAyLIZH8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Most of the countries you listed belong to the Balkan peninsula. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkans

>Norweigan and English look nothing alike

False

Can you even tell danish, swedish and norwegian apart?

Swedish yes

Danish and Norwegian no

>its striped in silesia
When will this meme end

They're still slavic dude

You have to know either of them in order to see the differences, I believe

Why is Belarus coloured purple? Nobody speaks Belarusian there. Most people speak Russian.

If i pronounce Danish like human im basically speaking Norwegian no?

I never thought Croatia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Serbia and Bosnia as slavic.

What you thought they are?

You'd be speaking faroese, I suppose.

Languages? I heard that Slovenian is closer to Russian than Croatian but Slovakian is closer to Croatian.
I don't get it either.

I cannot understand Western Slav or Eastern Slav languages at all.
Hell, I can barely understand Croatian regional language "Zagorski-kajkavski" and I had a dozen of them drunkards in my high school

Isnt Slovenian and Croatian same language?

We are slavic by language, maybe parts of the culture.
Not much else, we have about 20%-30%ish percent Slavic DNA.

Balkan. They are closer to mediterranean countries, but not quite like them

Not at all.
Completely different.

Well they are Balkan...

>Completely different.
>Slavic neighbour countries with historical ties

hmmmmmmmmmmm

We can comunicate with Slovaks best, then Czechs and then probably Croats, but it is not so easy actually, forget about serious discussions
There is a lot of trap-words as well, for example:
DIVKA in Czech means GIRL while DZIWKA in polish means WHORE

It's complicated in Croatia...

>French and Spanish look nothing alike
?

>I cannot understand Western Slav or Eastern Slav languages at all.
Western Slav languages are fine for me with a bit of context-based guessing and trying various synonyms, but Eastern Slav and especially Balkan are mostly just gibberish.

Děvka in Czech is whore

Szukać is by far the best trap there is.

>>Slavic neighbour countries with historical ties
I don't understand what the fuck are they saying.

>, but Eastern Slav and especially Balkan are mostly just gibberish.
Eastern Slavic is apparently kinda fucked up for Balkanites to speak because we use some same words but they have different meaning.

>DIVKA in Czech means GIRL while DZIWKA in polish means WHORE
DJEVOJKA - GIRL
CURA - GIRL
KURVA - WHORE

Why is Dubrovnik cut off from the rest of the country?

t. Eesti
Hei Suomi...Voit ymmärtää häntä? If so can you write in English..

youtube.com/watch?v=pFCqUROWEKU

That's awesome! Someone put the lyrics in Finnish

No, separate Slavic languages started do form later than Romance and Germanic languages, with the latter being formed first. Thus they are much more similar and to some extent mutually intelligible.

Danish yes, Swedish and Norwegian no.

Nope.

written danish not spoken

I can understand it, but the language is quite.. archaic and folklorish, so it's quite hard to translate, but he's singing about how skinny boy he is and how he doesn't want to sore his throat anymore by singing nor tire his fingers by playing. Pretty carefree tune, so not a depressing this one.

I can't really compare it to other language families since those are pretty close as well. Speaking one Slavic language means you can understand a little bit of every other language through context alone, although there are a lot of words that mean one thing in one language and something else in another.
Obviously, the Slavic languages that are the closest to each other belong to the same branches (West, East, South; I would also like to mention that Slovene can be put into its own for its distance both from West and South Slavic languages).

Because the city sold that little strip of land to the Ottomans so Venice couldn't bring their army in to conquer the city.

If your interested in that particular style, here's another one, though this one's in norwegian, sung by a finn.

Very interesting! Is that from a poem or something. I really want to lyrics.
I only find this style in Tuvan or Mongolian. send the link for the Norwegian song. I like the throat singing stuff.

Oh, I see.The Danes use æ more often I think, that's a potential way of telling them apart.

The original song :youtube.com/watch?v=aG5EAyLIZH8

Norwegians use that as well.
They'r quite hard to tell apart, especially if you don't know any scandinavian languages beforehand.

NICE!!

>French and Spanish look nothing alike.

Whatever you say burger.

Italian and Spanish look more alike.

In the pronunciation yes. But a written text has about the same degree of inteligibility in french than in italian.

>Norwegians use that as well.
I said Danes use it more often.

Here, let me ease this a bit.

English: Pussy.

Polish: Srom.
Czech: Píča.
Slovak: Piča
Serbo-Croatian: Pička, Пичкa.
Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian: пиздa.

What did we learn today, kids? Pussy sounds and tastes the same in Slavic countries.

>Srom
Yeah, maybe in XVI century. Piczka is popular one, not so popular like cipa, but close.

No but Croatian and Serbian pretty much are.

Czech&Slovak and Serb&Croat are the only two pairs of pretty much mutually intelligible Slavic languages, at least in speech

Norwegian and English share a whole bunch of words and many colloquial phrases can be correctly translated word for word

t. Brit in Norway

>been once in chez republic.
>had to talk with some worker it was very important, my friend forgot his wallet.
>they don't know english.jpg
>we talked in serbian, they talked in czech and russian
>we managed to sort things out.