At what point should a CS student start learning Linux? And what would be some good books/resources to use...

At what point should a CS student start learning Linux? And what would be some good books/resources to use? Lets assume the school he/she attends doesn't teach it. Just to be clear, by that I mean after what concepts have been mastered or at least internalized enough

Other urls found in this thread:

vikingcodeschool.com/web-development-basics/a-command-line-crash-course
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's an OS OP, just freaking use it. If you're saying that you want to learn terminal commands then forums, wikis and youtube are your best bet.

Start now. I'm not in CS and I've used linux since I was 14 I just fuck around with it break shit learn to fix it if you want to learn the command line then this is a start vikingcodeschool.com/web-development-basics/a-command-line-crash-course

Those are not good premises. If you're in a real university, the first thing they do is to sit you down at a linux/unix box, so you don't really have to worry about it.

the real question is can you game with linux?

>At what point should a CS student start learning Linux?
never. stay away from that garbage. all you need is windows and if you think you need, or want anything else go play in the street.

Sure thing pajeet

I don't think you *HAVE* to be a Linux wiz to be a good CS student / programmer. BUT it's really useful to learn it as it is likely that you'll end up in Linux environments eventually.

Personally, I started using Linux three years before studying CS (I was 16 yr old). It was really out of curiosity and willing to be in a different environment than what I was used to. I had lots of fun learning how things worked and customizing the desktop environment I was using back then.

I think you should start ASAP, no pressure, but it isn't hard at all (at least, it wasn't from me coming from Windows) and it's very useful. You can start by using 'easier' distros like Ubuntu or Mint in a VM first and then move to more 'complicated' distros as you learn. Trying out new distros here and there made the thing more interesting to me, they're all Linux but all a bit different, there's a lot of variety.

But seriously, just use it and you'll learn it pretty fast, in my case, I've been using it everyday since I was 16 (that was 8 years ago). If you need help or resources, use your distro's wiki, online tutorials, or YouTube.

yes :^)

I never used books. Just start using it

Just use the same books you used to learn Windows.
What's that? You didn't use any books to learn Windows, just experience over time? Really makes me think.

Start with the kernel, OP

Linux kernel development by Robert Love

How do you learn linux if you're using a windows PC?

Remove wangblows, install ganoo/loonix, start using it.

Could I buy a separate HDD and install Linux on it? Don't want to run that only and not be able to run games

whenever it's useful or required of you to get a job done you fucking retard

You can dual boot linux and windows.
Do a search "dual boot linux windows" and get a feel for what you can do.

Yes, you can dual boot.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

You can easily run games on linux nowadays

Download VirtualBox and install a VM

ASAP

Not earlier than Sept 17, 1991.

Install Gentoo

>At what point should a CS student start learning Linux
before you ever thought about majoring in CS to be quite frank

I'm surprised it's not a part of your first year curriculum, the CS program I went through at my dumpy old community college required a linux class right off the bat and all CS classes required interaction with linux in some form there after.

After data structures. You could go after programming 101 (assuming you learn C++ or C in it) but you need the comfyness with programming constructs that you get after studying and implementing something nontrivial.

Books:
Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment by Stevens and Rago

If you're a total pleb:
The Unix Programming Environment by Kernighan and Pike

actually it's GNU/Linux + systemd

Well you can be two types of dev.
1/ plebe dev: learn php css, a bit of java and stick to Windows where you play your favorite games, closing your eyes pretending everything else is shit and useless. These guys generally are shit devs that simply the job as fine as they can and leave 30 min before their work time.

2/ get at least familiar with Linux, show interest in tech and how things work in your computer so you can understand better what you do even if you work on a high level language. C/C++ knowledge is always nice, it shows expertise, especially in C++ which can be very complex when going deeper in language.

I recruiting people and only get those category 1 guys that annoy me. They are good for an internship but I never hire them actually. They are good ones though and I recognise them, but most of the time they need a lot of attention and support.

Just install and start using it.
Figuring out how to fix shit / make your life easier with bash scripts when you have a practical need will teach you much better than reading books.

Depends on the location I guess. Around these parts, everyone just loves microsoft and will teach nothing but vb.net, windows server, and azure. They have some GNU/Linux classes, but they're very basic, they never go in depth about anything, and it kinda shows that the teachers don't really know much about GNU/Linux.

Soon, only GNU/Systemd.

Ah yes with at least 10% overhead and input lag if you VM