What's a good, free, spyware free disc mounting/imaging program?

What's a good, free, spyware free disc mounting/imaging program?

Back in the old days I used DaemonTools Lite and Alcohol, but I've heard the former referred to as spyware/bloatware. There's nothing on the Sup Forums wiki

WinCDEmu is for mounting, and I'm leaning towards CDBurnerXP for imaging

mount

This.

imdisk virtual disk driver, but it doesn't support some DRM'd image formats

This. ISO mount is built-in on Windows since Windows 8 anyway. Other formats are designed to circumvent DRM (= pirate stuff) and simply redundant.

Virtual CloneDrive for mounting
ImgBurn for everything else

Ultra iso

why the hell are you still using optical disks?

They might need a mounting/imaging program to switch away from them successfully?

Both those use SPTD - Duplex Secure's proprietary direct-access SCSI passthrough driver (same one used in both, and also used in a couple of older copy protections internally).

Note that some newer stuff like ImgBurn uses SPTI, which is built in Windows. Linux's equivalent is the sg driver set - I don't know about BSD but I assume there is an equivalent (and I should probably look into that as I'm writing some software which does RAW CD sector reads).

Because they are immune to malware? Autism is adorable and I understand Applel users hating spinny media, but write-once media are dirt cheap, reliable and you can't overwrite them if they are finalized after burning.

If you need the advanced emulation options of Alcohol and Daemon Tools, then there are no substitutes.

>immune to malware

Didn't read the rest of your post.

they are not immune to malware
and you know whats cheaper than discs? usb drives and reusing them over and over again like a sane person

Speaking on this topic, but in a rather more technical way - does anyone have a copy of the actual Red Book and all its codicils (CD-XA, etc)?

We (some enthüsiasts now celebrating the 18th year of our organisation) are trying to construct a multi-pass soft-decision Viterbi decoder for the R-S codes used on CD-DA, as although there was one paper examining the possibility several years ago there doesn't ever seem to have been any actual implementation anywhere - probably because drive controllers don't have enough CPU power or memory to run the algorithm.

However, other than our considerable corpus of known-good, known-bad and deliberately misleading (incompliant, but desirable to decode, such as CDS100) discs, we are lacking any normative test vectors to prove that any such implementation decodes all valid codes.

Our initial experiments show raw EFM sector reading at both high and low speeds combined with such an algorithm for both synchronisation and error correction could yield much more reliable and consistent results for digital audio extraction in the face of minor damage or attempts at copy control techniques than the current gold standard, Andre Weithoff's Exact Audio Copy's "Secure Mode" - including the lack of any drive offset difficulties or any other inconsistencies introduced by differing drive firmware - and we plan to create a new, open-source, gold standard digital audio extraction tool if the method indeed bears fruit (possibly based on one of the existing libparanoia-based ones).

Is anyone familiar with the techniques for efficient implementation of Reed-Solomon decoders with the Viterbi algorithm (as opposed to the more-typical Fano), or does anyone have a copy of the relevant spec documents? Phillips are unwilling to sell us copies without us signing NDAs.

imdisk virtual disk driver, you can make ramdisks and load iso's completely into ram.

/thread

You're doing God's work, user, but I can't help you there
t. Quadriga user

>the length tech illiterates will go to justify not upgrading from w7

I've always had a soft spot for Magic Disk

Clone drive

Doesn't work with win 10