XFCE vs LXDE vs LXQT, which is best for an old Thinkpad? I want it to be as lightweight as possible...

XFCE vs LXDE vs LXQT, which is best for an old Thinkpad? I want it to be as lightweight as possible. RAM is not much an issue because I have 4GB, but the CPU and iGPU still suck and I want to get the most out of the battery.

XFCE.

Lxde
Lxqt is sitll in development

Seems like LXQt will be the future though rather than LXDE, if it has one to begin with.

this

fucking bullshit, its as heavy as plasma 5

GNOME

i3

nice meme

kde 5 is not as heavy anymore anyway. but debian + xfce is around 500mb on my machine. That is very reasonable considering you have a full desktoo environment.

LXQt
>no retarded gtk
>light and sensible
>qt-based but not kde

t. lxqt diehard fan

switching between DE's isn't that time consuming, I suggest you try them both instead of actually wasting thread space here.

I have an old thinkpad as well, and I have no DE. Instead, what I have is:
window server: X
window manager: bspwm (tiling)
- this comes with bspc + sxhkd so you can control the windows
bar (displays useful system information): polybar
program picker: dmenu
background setter and image viewer: feh

Following the default configs with these programs leads to a usable and easily configurable "desktop environment".

Ive been running Lubuntu since 11:10 and i love LXDE but i see that LXQt is the new path for PCMAN and the the core LXDE base.
So is it worth converting to LXQt yet?
I planned on switching when Lubuntu did the switch but now it seems like they plan to release the LXDE and LXQt parralell to each other.
So when should i switch?

xubuntu 17.10
Only programs open was firefox, screenshot and htop.
I used to run lubuntu years ago and loved it because I was running it on a P4 with 2GB of RAM. I've thought about checking out LXQT if it releases in the next LTS. I'm sure they could use the bug reports from varied machines to improve it.

From my experience, it's already a good solid experience, superb, smooth-as-butter performance even on my netbook, I had Lubuntu Next or whatever 17.04 on it. I had openbox as wm and compton as well.
Installing it normally on xuganda, it would take some ricing to get it to a usable and good-looking state, so I just used Luganda.
To be fair, given how better it looks over LXDE, I thought it would struggle since XFCE did a bit on the same machine, but then again, GTK and XFCE devs are retarded.

EXWM.

>I want it to be as lightweight as possible
lxde

MATE

Also, why not just an Openbox?

Lxde is good if you configure it properly to use shortcuts
Else it's just a pain, but I only use it on my laptop and it's fine for that considering I only use a text editor and browser on my laptop.
I've never really spent much time with xfce but it's neat from what I have but I just stick to what I know.

LXQt is the only correct answer.

Lxde is not really a de. It's just a collection of apps thrown together.

Xfce is much better and easier to configure.

i3, awesome or stumpwm. All other answers are wrong.
If you NEED your fancy DE shit like automounting and application menus, i3 and Awesome can use Xfce's taskbar and app menus (dont think stump can) and still be both more lightweight and more powerful than xfce or lxde ever will be alone.

why is XFCE not a gender in 2017?

openbox or am i just a nigger

Bump, because I need to...

I ran both LXDE and Xfce on an Atom with 1 GB of RAM and I can tell you Xfce is comfier.

> Santa 3144