/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtube.com/watch?v=d8pjYKtX0ag

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FB6TO5DbsPY
youtube.com/watch?v=Ywm5DBCUu80
youtube.com/watch?v=hq-o4cPrMW8
youtube.com/watch?v=nr9PDFAPj8c
ebay.ca/itm/NEW-NOS-43MM-EMPORIO-ARMANI-AR-6093-CHRONOGRAPH-WR50M-DATE-QUARTZ-MENS-WATCH/112705480665?hash=item1a3dc527d9:g:O38AAOSwGPxZ~eG4
amazon.com/Timex-TW4B04700-Expedition-Scout-Slip-Thru/dp/B00HYUSWPE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1514347008&sr=8-5&keywords=rugged+watch&th=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What does /wt/ think about Orient's recent advertising campaign? Are you able to watch these videos without cringing?

youtube.com/watch?v=FB6TO5DbsPY
youtube.com/watch?v=Ywm5DBCUu80
youtube.com/watch?v=hq-o4cPrMW8

You guys should check this lecture out

youtube.com/watch?v=nr9PDFAPj8c

they're too long desu
and yanks are the target audience so its understandable

It's too bad omega's implementation of the coaxial escapement doesn't do it justice. The other vids showing how roger makes a watch are pretty interesting too.

not a bad idea. i saw the SNE039 seiko solar in the related items list and i think he might really like it. thanks!

>throws ray ii immediately into the trash
Thankfully those type of ads stick to the American/Canadian market, primitive beings that they are

I've had a BM8180 for ~15 years and it hasn't missed a beat. It looks good on a nato too and you could probably dress it up a bit on leather.
Plus Eco-Drive is better than Seiko solar.

That literally has nothing to do with the video
you should actually watch it.

I know, just wish a good coax movement didn't cost as much as a house due to being handmade by a master. Will watch that later.

good to know. i just don't think he'd be crazy about a canvas band

If it's the looks then that's fair enough, if it's the feel then it may interest you to know that the strap is leather lined on the inside.

that sounds kind of slick actually not gonna lie

What are some good movements to practice on / learn that aren't super expensive? Looking to grab off eBay or from my local supplier.

You can kinda make it out in this picture, compare it to the Seiko 5 next to it.

>not having AR is now a feature

Any idea how to get this timex movement out?

Front

Sledgehammer.

I did it /wt/
I'll report back with my thoughts and a wrist shot when it arrives. Hopefully it won't be too long.

Hope it's not fake user

I don't think so, the only bad reviews I've seen of them online I'd that the can take a while to deliver.
That's why I ordered through eBay & not on their website, for the added buyer protection you get through eBay & PayPal.

Where can I find info and parts about Yema watches and Henri Parrenin/ France Ebauches movements?

Will I look like a fag when I'm wearing this as a young skinny man?

>10 YEAR VIRGINITY PROTECTION

sadly didn't work, can I still refund it?

>BNIB for £190 under MSRP
hmmmmm
Do you get the Nomos warranty?

>he needs an expensive watch to get laid

It says that it comes with warranty, yeah.

Definitely not a fag, but be a real man and get a a158 or a500wa.

I think that guy is implying the styling makes it a watch only virgins will buy and it will maintain your status of virginity because of the style. You see because it looks like a childs toy watch

Watch noob here, can't find a good answer anywhere:
1. My Timex Waterbury has its crystal cracked, replacement watch is €80, should I try and replace it, given that a replacement crystal costs €20 and I have no watchmaker tools?
2. If I choose not to, any compelling argument not to save up for a Seiko skx009? I read a lot of reviews, but can't find really big drawbacks. It's €280-300 here

1. Crystal change can be easy as fuck depending on the watch, I have made a few changes myself, just pay attention to apply pressure evenly.
If it's just a mineral crystal, buy one from ebay for a buck or two.

>If I choose not to, any compelling argument not to save up for a Seiko skx009?
The Casio f-91w exists.

But it's a bond watch so it's basically an Omega. Seriously though, girls don't really care what watch you're wearing.

>It's €280-300 here
That's too expensive. Turtles are 250€.

fuck this watch it got scratched so easliy

fuck the F91W, ever since I got it I don't wear any other watch anymore

Maybe girls dont. Women have different standards.

wouldn't that be a japanese guy?

Should I let a mechanical watch fully unwind every so often, or is there no need to?

Guess I'm buying the neptune

That's not a Bond watch. This is the Bond watch.

Yep, it reduces the rotational velocidensity accumulation of the mainspring.

haha wow thanks for the advice user !

>rotational velocidensity
There's a blast from the past

ebay.ca/itm/NEW-NOS-43MM-EMPORIO-ARMANI-AR-6093-CHRONOGRAPH-WR50M-DATE-QUARTZ-MENS-WATCH/112705480665?hash=item1a3dc527d9:g:O38AAOSwGPxZ~eG4

Can anybody tell me if this watch is legit? And if so is it worth me buying?

Do not buy a emporio armani watch.

> NOS
> Not vintage, can literally buy new on Amazon
Anyways, no, it's not worth buying. Armani watches are just extremely cheap watches marked up 10-30x and with a fashion brand name on them.

F A K E A L L I G A T O R

are there any quality leather watches i can get for under $80 then?

>No AR coating
>short, mass produced hands
>Can't even extend the dial finishing to the edge
Fuck, I wish I was smart enough to buy a Cartier

Get a regular watch and a leather strap then dummy
I recommend one of the "high end" aliexpress leathers, simply because they're resistant to sweat. That's assuming you're gonna be wearing the watch for a long time, every day.

>leather watches
You know most watches can be put onto a leather strap. Google Seiko 5 and pick the one you like best.

>please buy my replica Cartier watches
>they are as good as the real thing
>they are even made in the same factory as the swiss made Cartier
>honest visit my humble shop and look at my high quality wears

My new F-91w falls behind a few seconds every few days, is that normal?

It's passed every other test so I don't think it's counterfeited.

from the front. pop the bezel off.

I'd be surprised by more than 40 seconds per month.

Is this bait?

>fair enough
>that minute hand is as long as it could be
>the dial was probably intended to have a border. dragging the rose engine cutter another millimeter isnt an attempt to save money, especially on a hand finished watch.

7/10 made me a llittle butthurt

I unironically like this. I don't own anything above 41mm though and this would look ridiculous on me size-wise (and ridiculous on everyone in general), but something draws me to it

redpill me on invicta watches

Hey can anyone ID the watch he's wearing?

am not a negro sir

I wear 34 and 35mm watches a lot, yet something about that thing is appealing

Generic Chinese made watches with very low end ETA movements that are likely assembled in China as well.

My dear mom got me this watch for christmas, you guys think it looks too feminine though?

>fossil

if you're getting a Chinese watch, get something that doesn't pretend otherwise like a Seagull

Can someone with the proper tools measure the pin size for the Seiko 5? The band width is 18mm, so I would assume that the pins are longer, but is this a case where I should buy the pins labeled 18mm?

Nomos would be fine if they didn't make their lugs hilariously long on most models.

yes you autistic fuck

Never really cared for watches but I received a watch for christmas and now I want more watches

Anyone?

Aside from the gross coloured hands and indices, it looks fine, but it's a fucking Fossil.

That's how it goes.

If your band is 18mm, get 18mm pins.

Thanks bros

All the hands are too short

That too, I didn't even notice at first glance.

i'll probs buy another watch once i start working to be honest

What are you waiting for in the mail /wt/?

what does Sup Forums think of bulova? okay as entry level?

I like them but idk how others feel
their vintage stuff is great and I have an Accutron Astronaut
I preferred them before they dumped their Accutron line

ordered the bracelet version from CW $71

Luminox, probably.

Alright, thanks for the opinions guys.

Not my favorite either, but a nice gift none the less. Got quite a few watches to wear regardless.

Hey user, so long as it means something to you, that's all that matters.

My last watch broke after a solid 7 years of use, so it's time for a new one. I'm looking for something cheap (less than $50), water resistant (like showering and washing hands), and not too flashy. Would this be a good choice? It's $30 and got 4 stars on Amazon with like 2500 reviews.

amazon.com/Timex-TW4B04700-Expedition-Scout-Slip-Thru/dp/B00HYUSWPE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1514347008&sr=8-5&keywords=rugged+watch&th=1

It's okay for a poorfag tier watch.

>poorfag
>muh status symbol
Oh, I didn't know this was another Apple thread. You must get all the cocks at the gay bar.

What's the best place to get a Citizen ballsack quartz? the selection on eBay is lacking.

They're fine for the price, but do be aware that they tick loud as fuck. I could hear mine from the other side of the room at night while it was closed in an oak drawer, had to sell it.

I've got one of these. Its not flashy but it does its job and looks respectable. Its also comfy

Thanks for the heads up, user. I don't think it'll bother me that much and my line of work requires that I be near loud machinery most of the day, so I don't think I'll annoy anyone else.

Ironically you're the one acting like obnoxious here. I never implied anything about status symbols. Just that for $30 it's not bad.

I didn't think it would bother me either since I sit in a loud ass server room all day, but I could even hear it in there from time to time.

Calling people poorfags for making purchases based on the utility of an item rather than looks or price is a really Applefagish thing to do. I'm buying a wrist watch to tell me the time, not provide the illusion of wealth. Sup Forums is already enough of a consumer whore circle jerk without your bullshit.

Damn. I work with CNC milling equipment.

That might be loud enough, I guess there's only one way to find out.

You're right. I already ordered it :^)