Looking around for affordable CD players

Looking around for affordable CD players.
Everything I find in my price range (>$100 because I'm poor and I don't really NEED a CD player) seems to be old models from the 90s and early 2000s.

I'm fine with used gear but some of this shit is pretty old. I'm willing to take a chance on them but are there any particular models that are a little newer that retain similar quality? I've had trouble finding info online for modern CD players that aren't very expensive audiophile stuff.

I'll bump once and be on my way

whoops

go to any place where people sell used stuff and buy one for 10€. thats what i did and its working perfectly.

You won't find much in terms of new hi-fi gear at

Marantz CD-48. The transport is absolute shit, but optical assemblies for it are widely available and very cheap. Sounds really good, too.

this.
goodwill can't get rid of anything that doesn't have bluetooth. especially large "obsolete" home stereo equipment. bought me an onkyo single disk for 10 bucks a few years ago.

Yeah I never thought I'd be able to get new gear for that price. More meant used stuff that's from the last decade at least.
I'll check out Goodwill and there seems to be a local thrift store that specializes in old records and audio equipment now that I look around a little harder.

Thanks for the advice.

many of the cd players do have digital outputs too so sound quality should not be an issue as long as your amp/whatever you connect it to had digital input. usually the analog output on them is good too but they do usually have both so you can choose.

I have yet to find a DVD player that can't playback CDs, too.
Just get a cheap/old DVD player, with the output type you need?

goodwill in an upper class (white/asian) neighborhood regularly has home a/v equipment

I do want to mention that I do sit down and listen to music pretty regularly. I don't need it for parties or anything (I just use my TV or a cheap bluetooth speaker for that). I'll pretty much exclusively be using it to attentively listen with headphones to my albums.

I've read that most modern CD players have very similar DACs until you start getting into higher end stuff? Is this pretty much true? If one brand produces better sound quality that's pretty important to me.

I can't imagine a DVD player having similar sound quality to a dedicated CD player but maybe I'm wrong.

>
>
>I do want to mention that I do sit down and listen to music pretty regularly. I don't need it for parties or anything (I just use my TV or a cheap bluetooth speaker for that). I'll pretty much exclusively be using it to attentively listen with headphones to my albums.
>I've read that most modern CD players have very similar DACs until you start getting into higher end stuff? Is this pretty much true? If one brand produces better sound quality that's pretty important to me.
>I can't imagine a DVD player having similar sound quality to a dedicated CD player but maybe I'm wrong.
Do people still love the old ps1's for that or is it a meme?

Someone told me they have really decent DACs in them

It'd give me an excuse to buy a PS1 and nostalgia out so I hope so

On a quick search it appears to be a rumor :(

only the ones with RCA outputs. model number SCPH-1001. for my understanding they were good for the price (circa 2010) but actually hifi stuff is still better.

a ps1 will be fine. if you dont have any speakers i'd go for the $10 ps1 for the source and blow the rest on the speakers.

I use a nakamichi CD player 3 from the early 90s
Payed $5 for it
Check thrift stores op, you never know what you'll find.

>Implying anything from Nak apart from their tape decks isn't just garbage marketed to audiofools

Not him but at $5 it's a good buy even if it's overrated

It's typical 90s BPC, absolutely worthless. Just look at the insides. Reminds me of those "High end" Cambridge audio DVD/SACD players that were little more than a chink DVD decoder SoC in a pretty case.

Use a DVD player.

Since this is Sup Forums.
You could use a computer with a CD drive, and the soundcard (int/ext) of your preferences.

Goodwill, got all my stuff for $120 total, plus multiple sets of speakers.

I'm not a Sup Forums resident (furthest from it actually) so I've got 7 year old macbook pro and I guess the internal DAC is bad because everything sounds awful from it. I could just get an external DAC/Amp I guess. Right now I just listen from my phone/iPod classic because they sound much better.

But I want something that I can eventually turn into a real home stereo system with nicer speakers and I kind of want it to be it's own little setup.

>computer with a CD drive
you can use a CD drive without a computer as long as you supply it with power
many pre-DVD drives had an audio jack and a play/next button

But then he might aswell buy a normal CD player. The computer part was just so that the whole "DAC" problem wasn't there.

Unless you are an audiophile/shitter most of the older higher end units will sound good enough. It is only if you know/care what to listen for in the audio that it would matter to get a specific model.

Yeah I'm definitely not an audiophile. I can tell when something's not 256 or above but I'll be honest when I say I can't tell the difference between 320 and FLAC so I don't need to be too autistic about it as I can tell that fine a difference.

I'll see if local thrift shops have an older Sony model or something.

*can't tell that fine a difference