Gentoo is for AUTISTS

What's with you people? All the crowing about "muh free software" and oh, when Microsoft finally releases Windows FOR FREE in Windows 10, you still won't touch it. Why? Oh, is it just possible you were talking out your ass all along and just like to use the OS noone else is using to make yourself feel special? Why spend hours fighting and fixing an OS like BSD Linux, Ubuntu, or Gentoo that's broken out-of-the-box, one that's only "free" if your time is worth nothing, when you could have a REALLY free OS like Windows 10? Why fuck yourself over and miss out on Great Windows Features like Cortana™, Microsoft Shopping Assistant for Chrome™, Games for Windows Live™ Windows 10 Games Mode, and telemetry that guarantees Microsoft is working to continuously improve their OS based on user feedback that users don't even know they have to give? How is Lignux supposed to compete if it isn't even collecting usage data for user feedback? Oh, right - it isn't. You deliberately use an objectively inferior OS to make yourself feel special. You avoid the system with the best automatic updates and driver support on purpose. Yeah, that makes sense. Have fun a few years from now when Eric S. Torvalds or whatever gets bored of fixing his broken system and you're left having to install a new OS while Windows 10 is supported until the end of time.

Grow the fuck up.

Can confirm, I'm autistic and use gentoo. I love it! I even bought a gentoo hat and coffee mug.

(you)

install gentoo

I feel like when someone installs gentoo they have ascended. Is there a learning curve after INSTALLING gentoo linux? Like i understand some stuff about portage but not fully.

Yeah, definitely for the first four weeks I think, you'll spend trying to figure out why portage is giving you error messages and what they mean. By the time you have a fully functional desktop with all your favorite GNU/Linux software though, you pretty much know all you need to know.

Note: I say four weeks, but it probably doesn't actually take that long to finish everything, I was just lazy and would install a few packages here and there on weekends.

Gentoo is just really hard to install. I succeeded once, but this time, the fucking kernel won't FUCKING COMPILE

Genkernel? Yeah me neither. Try this:
>as root open /usr/share/genkernel/gen_compile.sh with a text editor
>find the line : MAKEOPTS="${MAKEOPTS} -j1" compile_generic "firmware_install" kernel
>comment it or remove it
>save
>try again

It is not hard to install - just very time consuming. It's not as simple as "make && make install && make modules_install". Unless you want a 'bloated' and generic kernel like all other distros, you will have to spend a lot of time figuring out what hardware you have and what drivers is needed for it all to work properly. And then there are the other 8-10 thousand configuration optioins on how you want the kernel to be.

At least that was my experience of it.

there is no way i would do a complicated and tedious install like gentoo, i would rather use Debian or Slackware,

windows is okay, but i been using Linux for so long that i just like Linux better, so i am neutral when it comes to the Linux VS windows war, although i do keep a critical eye on Microsoft because sometimes they can be assholes,

as far as operating systems are concerned i just select the best tool for the job, which is mostly Linux and sometimes i switch to windows, (whatever gets the job done)

It worked the first time in a very old laptop, but when I wanted to do it on a vm, it won't fucking work. I'm trying it on virtualbox and set makeopts to j5 because I allocated four cores. But I don't think that's the issue. It gives me some stack error (my laptops not with me right now) so I disabled that with the menuconfig and then the compiler completely crashes. What is causing this issue?

can you post the error here? post it in the Gentoo general we have in the catalog, in case this thread goes down.

I don't have my laptop with me right now but I definitely will once I get the chance. Thanks, user

Genkernel scrubs, the descriptions of the build flags are all available, and easy/fun to mess with. I used to use the "GUI", now I fucking love nano. Just learn about your machine's hardware and build the kernel specific for your machine, it's really simple. Genkernel is a bloatmachine

>you will have to spend a lot of time figuring out what hardware you have and what drivers is needed for it all to work properly. And then there are the other 8-10 thousand configuration optioins on how you want the kernel to be.

okay. when i got to select shit it already had shit selected for me and i just pressed enter. Then i got a grub error

tfw i failed like 4 times installing gentoo in a vm

>Genkernel is a bloatmachine
Damnnn so every single distro out there has a bloated kernel with every thing enabled

Nah, genkernel has sane defaults, so I really only had to enable a few things in menuconfig. A lot more convenient.

The guy who made gentoo uses a Mac.

AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA

Loonix is distractionware timesink server shit NOT intended for desktop use.

>what is booting multiple oses

Sounds fitting. I'm putting it on a mac. If using gentoo is a timesink, then what do you call creating gentoo? It's for fun :^)

>not using nconfig
lmao

>genkernel --menuconfig all
>enable few things, exit
>do nothing else
>kernel compiled and everything is done
I'm good

>enable few things
like what?

If you have a single extra bit that is unnecessary to the function and usefulness of a machine, you have bloat. Using Linux means you will always have to deal with bloat in some form or fashion, as there are reinvented wheels and applications that do more than their job well. This being said, try to mitigate these factors as much as possible, and your system will respond in a faster, more efficiency driven manner. Until we realize once again that every bit counts, our applications will turn into larger and larger monoliths, slowing down everything with millions, if not billions of inefficient reinvented wheels.

I did it from stage 1 years ago. No big deal, interesting. Using Void on my laptop now, really great but somewhat needs wider adoption and more packages.

Most of my time is spent on win10 on my high end desktop though. Seems good enough, still needs optimization and reframing work. And a new FS.

Thank you. So, if i just follow the kernel configuration of the gentoo handbook, i will be good to go? It covers everything right?

my wifi card, some stuff for amdgpu

Pay very close attention to it, don't just read everything, read into everything that you don't understand fully, follow links, and determine the best configuration that does what you want it to do, and only what you want it to do, nothing else.

Damn okay. What about security wise? I also want a bit of security ontop of my gentoo installation. I heard ufw is simple and fast but im a noob at iptables. I heard that gnu/linux is pretty secure in general anyways

Yup. I've trimmed my kernel down to the bare minimum except for performance factors (like UKSM) and kexec to jump between kernel images w/o reboot as well as VFIO. Additionally I use a few kernel patches like UKSM, MuQSS, TuxOnIce, BFQ, among others.

Yea, it's pretty secure by default unless you just randomly start a lot of poorly configured server daemons.

Feel free to use a firewall, but it's not a big risk to not use one anyhow.

>after INSTALLING
Nobody knows. I've been using gentoo for the past 10 years and as my daily OS for 6 but the 'installation' is still far from over

Ok, i haven't installed gentoo linux but i do know is

- Configuring basic stuff inside the gentoo installation
- Configuring & Compiling the kernel
- Learning how portage works

Anything else?

Free as in freedom, idiot.

Low quality bait.

I'm sorry you lack the intelligence required to use Gentoo Linux

>FOR FREE
free like free speech, not free beer, retard

>to use the OS noone else is using to make yourself feel special
>You deliberately use an objectively inferior OS to make yourself feel special
no

>Why spend hours fighting and fixing an OS
if you see nothing more in this, you are retarded

>Cortana™
>Chrome™
>Live™
KEK, what a respect for trademarks

>telemetry
that is spying on you

>if it isn't even collecting usage data for user feedback. Oh, right - it isn't.
fedora collects pretty much feedback, also ubuntu seems to do this

>You avoid the system with the best automatic updates
low quality bait

Actually gentoo cured my autism.

saving the pasta for future consumption

>Gentoo is for AUTISTS

No shit, sherlock!

>Try and reboot Windows.
>Spinning shit for like 5 minutes.
>LOL PREPARING YOUR SYSTEM FOR UPDATES
>Power off and insert sysrescuecd (gentoo based)
>Create one EFI partition and one ROOT partition, vfat, btrfs
>rsync -e ssh muwholelaptop muhdesktop
>efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 1 -L "Gentoo Fuck Yeah" -l "\gentoosda2.efi"

Shit booted in 2 seconds, zero issues, didn't even need to install any drivers because Linux just works.

This message has been brought to you by Microsoft Inc™©®

Gratis != Libre
Kill yourself