Why does it feel so clumsy to say "centimeter" in english...

why does it feel so clumsy to say "centimeter" in english? I keep wanting to use inches despite talking english among a bunch of people from countries that all use the metric system just because it sounds so much more natural.

do other metric countries actually use all of your local variant of "centimeter" in casual speech? we just say "cent" (=sentti) and tbqh "ten cents" would sound a lot more smooth than "ten CEN-TI-ME-TERS"

unless i'm being exact at work i usually just say an inch

In casual speech we use "centi" instead of "centiméter" usually.

America doesn't have this problem :^)

Cents are coins. In anything like building or manufacturing, you generally use millimetres, so you say 10 mill for short.

Probably the only casual-speech abbreviation for a metric unit in Russian is "kilo" for "kilogram"

euros have cents too but we have no problems using the word cent (or "sentti") for both things

it's pronounced Kentimeter

sanktimeter*

Cuntymeter

the price we pay for not sharting ourselves i guess

kilogramma = kilo
desilitra = desi
senttimetri = sentti
millimetri = milli

these are all used in everyday conversation and even in writing. only in scientific context is the full correct terminology used

Kiló, deci, centi, milli

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS.

Finland has words like Lakkupiipu and Lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas and you complain about CENTIMETER!!!?

uralic strong

Literally a Brit using a proxy t b h

:^)

Juoksentelisinkohan?

Tsentimeter

santimetr = sm = "seme"
kilometr = km = "keme"
kilogramm = kg = "kege"

Because it's a shit system use inches

'In english'

in australian:
kilogram = kilo
kilometre = k
millilitre = mil

?

kilogram = bitty
kilometre = blotty
millilitre = bloop

>why does it feel so clumsy to say "centimeter" in english?
Because you have to accent two distinct syllables.

CenTI-MEE-ters, when in English you usually only accent the 3rd syllable from last (when available), so it becomes a bit cumbersome on an already long word. It's as if you're saying two words, the first of which has an accent in the last syllable, which doesn't happen often in English (as opposed to French which is the norm). If you pronounce it CenTI-m.ters, it becomes more comfortable, even though it stops sounding like the word because you're not used to it.

Same thing with STRAWbrries instead of the american STRAW-BErries.

Centimetre. It's pronounced sentermeetray in Britland