Question about Gentoo

Kernel config have more than 1500+ options. How i can learn them all? I need fast install system with LUKS/LVM about 10-15 minutes like Archlinux. How i can do that? Maybe you some tips & trics?

Other urls found in this thread:

dotslashlinux.com/2017/08/24/the-linux-kernel-configuration-guide-part-1/
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Clang
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

funtoo
clover linux
sabayon

either use genkernel or start with make localmodconfig as a base
you can search google for options and you can also search in menuconfig
luks is DM_CRYPT i think

Ok, thanks. Another question - can i rice compile options more faster? For example xorg-server compiling about 30 minutes, lol. I cant wait so long.

Maybe a source based distro isn't for you if you think compile time is a problem... not much to do about it short off buying a more powerful CPU. You can also use tmpfs (RAM disk) since RAM is a lot faster than even the fastest SSD, but I'm not really sure it makes that much of a difference since CPU should be more of a bottleneck than the I/O of a SSD.

you're probably better off using a binary distro, user
if you use ubuntu or debian there's apt-build, so you can still build from source using the package manager

Dude, just ignore the options and just make sure you enable what your hardware needs to work. You can always disable shit you don't need when you have a working system. Also, take a look at dm-crypt and lvm gentoo wiki to see what sort of options you need for your special snowflake shit.

EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs=3 --load-average 6.7 --keep-going y"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
Obviously needs changes for your cpu. These values are for a borked phenom 2 x6 that freezes with too much heat.

The guy's use case probably won't quite match yours, but I learned a lot from this recent guide about Gentoo kernel configuration.
dotslashlinux.com/2017/08/24/the-linux-kernel-configuration-guide-part-1/
In particular, his advice in part 11 about using SystemRescueCD to get as much info as possible about your system/modules is very handy.

That package takes 10 minutes on my potato AM1 5350, without ccache. I'd expect it to take 2 minutes or such on anything modern like a Ryzen or current gen i5 or whatever.

Are you using this on really crappy hardware, such as an anemic laptop with a slow HDD?

> I cant wait so long
Then perhaps use a binary distro. Though arguably, I wonder why it's that slow, and if you couldn't simply use faster hardware or such.

I have i5-2520M and make "-j4" with "-march=sandybridge -O2 pipe" is that right?

you can use march=native if you're building for your local PC

Can i use - genkernel --luks --lvm all and configure more optionally my kernel on existing system?

i don't quite understand what you mean
but if you mean 'can i configure, compile and install a new kernel after i've installed gentoo already' the answer is yes
just remember to update grub afterwards and remove the old kernel only when you're sure the new one boots

Dunno, just use -march=native.
-j4 -O2 should be okay enough.

I'm not sure your CPU should necessarily be slower than my crappy AM1 5350 though, so maybe the issue is how slow your HDD is or something.

You could also try if wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Clang works for you.

PS: If you're still in live mode, maybe that too is posing some or another issue. Try in the installed system, not in live mode, mkay?

You could speed it up by compiling into ram with a tmpfs

Is there any other difference between Gentoo and CloverOS other than CloverOS being easier to install? Sorry for being such a brainlet, but I'd just like to know if there's a reason to pick Gentoo over CloverOS when they're basically the same thing from what I've heard.

CloverOS has binaries with their settings enabled, as long as you install binaries you get their settings.

Gentoo is compiled with your settings.

>Kernel config have more than 1500+ options. How i can learn them all?
Most of them are architecture specific.

How do I tell if I'm running CloverOS or Gentoo?

>Kernel config have more than 1500+ options. How i can learn them all?

You don't, nobody does.
Use defconfig then tick in what hardware you have and what features you want (and of course untick hardware you don't have and features you don't want)

Portage's output indicates if you used a binpkg or if it compiled something.

IDK what version markers if any CloverOS put in. I'm not using it, I want and need systemd and the like.