How the fuck did it become so popular?

How the fuck did it become so popular?

memes and usability

>streaming series and films in HD quality on demand for a really low monthly fee
Gee I don't know.

>Monthly fee
Now there you lost me. All data is free, if it's on the internet you shouldn't pay for it. It's one of the fundamental principles of the internet and the freedom of information it offers.

I "pirate" because it's the only morally correct thing to do.

HD $5/month, internet speeds became widespread and fast enough to support such a service.

Also people were already conditioned to watch entertainment online with YouTube

seriously

>hurr durr net nutrality except for muh netfix

>It's one of the fundamental principles of the internet
It's literally not though. The internet is all about transporting data, not necessarily the data itself.

>I "pirate" because it's the only morally correct thing to do.
I did back when streaming services didn't exist. Now, I just can't be bothered. I pay less for Netflix than I do for visiting news sites.

Data that is being sold by an internet based company is ok. Having to pay a fee to access that service in the first place by the internet service provider is NOT ok

It's steam for normie series.

>the cost of producing things is free

Fuck off commie

It's good for chilling ;)

Affordable, no ads, easy to use

If you're smart enough to pirate 99% of media and not pay the Netflix tax.

That's not how net neutrality works

Fuck off you Stallman commie faggot

>If you're smart enough to pirate 99% of media and not pay the Netflix tax.
See I used to download illegally, and I still do when the content I want to watch isn't available on Netflix, but it's just so god damned convenient.

Customers: We want to stream movies and shows
Cable TV Providers: lul no
Netflix: k

Thanks to NN Netflix was able to get away with >hurr we'll just stream, everything on da cloud wtf is local storage.
Now infrastructure costs that make such a service possible will go to Nexflix users.
Thank god.

>commie
Funny you mention that, the only countries enlightened enough to offer truly free streaming solutions are our baltic and chinese cousins.

netflix and chill meme, normies, just werks, has some good shows

bandwidth has to be paid for on both ends
NN got shit to do with it

Convenience. Sup Forums wouldn't understand, but some people have friends and partners over and you sometimes want to watch a movie spontaneously. No one wants to sit there and wait for it to download.

It's utter shit in the Netherlands because half of the good stuff is removed due to copyright issues or something

women, they cant into intellectualism so they resort to brain numbing shows

It has to do with it since NN prevented ISPs from charging Netflix users for the bandwidth they use and the cost had to be redistributed into every customer.

>No one wants to sit there and wait for it to download
I don't even disagree that most people are like that but if you can't wait ten minutes for something to download then you probably don't want it that badly.

They had a fuck ton of anime in like 2012 because they partnered with funi.

Memes, addendum;

New Black Mirror season in 2 days, I am so hard right now.

It's basically torrenting for the technologically challenged, but at a low fee and with a shittier selection.

HOWEVER
What most people miss that Netflix does have that torrents don't have, is it tracks your habits and recommends you things, has quality control, and is neatly arranged with a UI friendly display. Sure, there are other sites that can do this for free, but they aren't integrated.
It's the same reason people may use Steam instead of pirating some games, the service has more value than just getting the thing.
Also some moral bullshit about how you're paying the creators.

the only reason i signed my household up was because i was offered 200 in game currency in a real money economy video game for signing up for a 1 month free trial of netflix, then my mom started paying for it after that was over. and most of the shows on there ( 90% ) i dont even want to watch

Normies, they love crappy DRM and to use non-free software

>Blockbuster didn't have shit on the delivery service
>streaming started out weak and grew strong
>own programming that isn't rivaled by Amazon or Hulu
If you don't know the real reason why Netflix got a big following in the first place, you're underage scum.

>Cable companies
user, pay us $100 per month to watch a couple channels you want and 600 you don't
>Netflix
user, pay us $10 per month to watch whatever you want, on multiple devices at the same time, and we will take the income we make and put it into making good content for you to watch later

Seems like a no-brainer, why are you asking this question?

sorry I also forgot:
>Cable companies
40% of show is ads despite being pay to access content
>Netflix
order of magnitude cheaper and no ads

No, it didn't.
NN doesn't prevent anyone charging more for more traffic.

Ads on TV is understandable, you pay your provider to get a TV signal to your house and the content creator/producer has a contract with the provider to broadcast their shows. The producer doesn't get money from the service provider, so he has to turn to advertisers for income. That's also why HBO doesn't have ads, their income is directly from consumers subscribing to their service. Too bad it's a fucking upgrade from a higher end TV service Comcast is likely to sell you.

get a load of this commie!

Everyone was frustrated with blockbuster and broadband was a thing

And with the CD service, it just became convient and CDs were pretty cool

Just realized it’s dvd I think but I don’t wanna change it

The government paid the cable providers to build the infrastructure. I'm paying them for the content and nothing else. That's why they have different tiered packages, if I wasn't paying for content then there should only be 1 price for everything

You're really retarded aren't you?
You think netflix just used a bunch of jumper cables to wire their servers to the net?
Netflix, or any big service either pays a shitton to a big corporate internet provider or setup their own shit like google did (and so pay for it all) and become their own provider

originally it was cheaper to rent movies from netflix than from blockbuster

then they introduced network streaming and it put blockbuster out of business

Netflix is only good in the US.
t. Finland

They set up their end, not the user's end.
If you were tight then data caps wouldn't exist, so keep that in mind Netflix shill.

net neutrality BTFO

Yes, a consumer who watches 4k netflix stuff all day can be charged more with or without NN

It's torrenting for mentally stumped people

> when the content I want to watch isn't available on Netflix
So, you pirate 90% of the time?
Unless your a basic bitch in your early 20s who watches Netflix originals

You're probably replying to some 56%er amerimut with an internet speed that peaks @30mbps

>So, you pirate 90% of the time?
Nope, maybe 10% of the time.

>Unless your a basic bitch in your early 20s who watches Netflix originals
I'm 32 years old, which means that I don't have time for obscure Japanese anime.

Pirating means you have to worry about stupid stuff like managing diskspace, seeding ratios, rar'ed releases etc. If something is on netflix/hbo/amazon it's way easier to just press a button and get it instantly

normies

Dark is a million times better than the usual crap German channels produce.

When I download something I pretty much have it forever. When something is on Netflix its up to the whims of distributor. It could be here today and gone tomorrow. Fuck that shit

Screw Netflix. I just torrent the shit I want cause in some cases Netflix don't got it or cause I like to own a physical copy of my stuff and cause it's cheaper. Plus I already had a nice digital ripped library built up from my DVD collection so expanding on that wasn't a big deal.

Looks like you haven't pirated anything since 2007. Also, torrenting can become perfectly automated with rss and a good internet speed.
Other good thing is that you can find any version of the film you want to watch, from bit-starved netflix tier crap to the full Bluray.
Each to his own I guess

same dude: but thanks in combination of torrent and dvd I own every film/show that I liked/watched from a kid all the way till now. best part is that collection will always be there in ready to go thanks to keeping multiple backups of it all.

Well netflix pays for their end.

You pay for your end, right? That's why people shell out to internet providers, isn't it?
Because if netfix google etc... Pay for both their and my end that means I don't have anything left to pay

Normies don't think or care about that. They want to click one button on their phone and watch with the least amount of effort. The thought that the content might be gone tomorrow doesn't even register on the radar for them.

A soccer mom isn't going to set up a private tracker and use a VPN to get trough her ISP and seed whatever she was downloading while managing an antivirus, Video player, dealing with different formats, .zip, and all these shenanigans just to see her popcorn movies. Netflix is as easy to use as TV, and the bulk of the population don't want good things; they want easy and good enough

It's the best.

No they won't. That's never gonna happen.

Yet there not free.

Idiot comment of the day.

Not true Netflix orginals stay up forever

Not exactly.

Because most of people don't know how pirate films without get a virus.

It's pretty impossible on win suck

rent-physical-media-by-mail

they've been doing this for 20 years

cable originally had no ads.

1. A free month plus recurring charge requiring opt-out to quit
2. The charge was cheap so people didn't quit
3. The illusion of having a lot of choice (even though there is hardly anything worth watching)

There's a shit ton of stuff no illusion bro.

it's retard friendly

Redbox ain't to bad. Rent dvd for like 1.50. Rip it after I watch it if its good, return next day.

Wow thanks I totally understand you now

I feel the same way about spotify and pandora , who the fuck still pays for music or even sits through commercials for music , it's like they want to be stuck in the 90s.

It gave an opportunity to make people have extramarital intercourse.

I'm 32 and have time for anime, but I'm also not married and don't have friends outside of work acquaintances, so that helps out with the free time.

is that new torrent site? what's wrong with tpb? you fucking newfag

I'm not married either, but I do have friends outside work and work a lot (I'm a PhD student). I'm usually only at home to eat or sleep.

>muh commies

propaganda fed amerimutts detected

not american, commie cuck

I'm a PhD student too, what's your field bro?

Because of ease of use. Also so you don't have to go to sketchy website to watch a movie at below par quality.

Except theres no fucking movies on the shitty thing. It only works if you search movies ON NETFLIX. But if I find a movie somewhere else I want to watch, its never fucking there.

Its over priced crap, cancelled my subscribtion last month.

I understand this is a troll, but you are paying for Netflix's content licensing / production, software development, server infrastructure, and data transmission costs. None of those come for free.

Dutch filmworks has the Dutch publishing rights for most movies, and will not allow Netflix to feature those movies.

Get cucked, swamp people.

Unlike other legal sources, it's actually easier to use than pirating.

People are lazy.

I wonder what will happen to Netflix now that their biggest country of operations had no net neutrality.

Why the fuck doesn't just Hollywood not renew the license contracts if they hate NetFlix so god damn much????

Netflix wouldn't survive for 3 months if they only had their original programming and nothing else

Fuck, atleast Disney is pulling all of their movies and Star Wars shit soon enough to launch their own streaming service

Bootleging Trump scum.

Offered an affordable service and seized the means of production

Slam. #micdroping good times.

Because it's convenient. You don't have to like it, but you're hopelessly autistic and probably not very intelligent if you genuinely can't comprehend why it's popular.