Home server general - /hsg/

home server general - /hsg/
>post christmas regret edition

Are you interested in learning Linux administration and configuration better. Becoming a systemd expert? Or maybe you hate that shit and want a cozy little BSD machine to run services on and interact with. Or practice more advanced and complicated networking setups.

Well come join /hsg/ thread and have a good time discussing it!

>news:
> net neutrality shitposting skyrockets. ajit pai dresses as santa and spins a fidget spinner. what fucking timeline is this?

>chat
> discord.gg/9vZzCYz

Other urls found in this thread:

datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/11/27/data-center-infrastructure-benefits-of-deploying-sfp-fiber-vs-10gbase-t/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Becoming a systemd expert?
If I wanted to be a shameless whore I would have followed my mum's footsteps.

filtered and reported.

What is better for 10gbe in my home - sfp+ connectors or cat6?
Which routers are more affordable? etc

Nice try Cam

>10gbe in my home
What the fuck for

Do you pronounce it "eetheer net" or "ether net"

wifi cord

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

can someone help me with my wireless wifi? it doesn't work
also why did it come with wires if its wireless? i had to throw those away myself baka

wtf why did it change baka to baka?
am i being hacked????

I don't see anything.

>>and configuration better
What did OP mean by this?

Haha!! Nice try senpai!!

using a NAS at more than 100MB/s?

I do this with 2 Mellanox Connect-X 2 and some cheap sfps from fiberstore. Works great.

Does your storage support more than 100MB/s? if it does then there's a point on using 10gbit

>Mellanox Connect-X 2

What's the difference between those cheap mellanox cards and these much more expensive intel ones (pic related)?
10gbe is 10gbe no?

Can /hsg/ recommend me some good broadband routers? (I dont use wifi). A lot of good ones end up being VPN routers. Can I use one if I dont use a VPN service?

Mellanox CX-2 is a tried and tested SFP+ card which will work flawlessly with most hyperviser's and OS's with relatively cheap DAC's or SFP+'s.

Where as that's a RJ45 which is prone for more latency[1] and not $25 on ebay for 2 cards and a DAC.

[1] datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/11/27/data-center-infrastructure-benefits-of-deploying-sfp-fiber-vs-10gbase-t/

s m h => baka
f a m => senpai
t b h => desu
you newfag and closet weaboo

desu i did not know this baka, thanks senpai

discuss

how they are powered?

>Entire $30 oDroid per drive
Just get the $50 version with multiple sata ports

5V/4A power adapter

$50 version (I assume you mean XU4) would need the case which is $70 for the actual sata ports. I could get a third party bridge but I'd rather just stick with what odroid sells.

I guess it comes down to wanting 2 single-HDD servers interacting with each other or one server with 2 HDDs. Both have pros and cons but I'm actually kind of leaning towards having the two separate. Twice the computing power and it also lets me keep the backup drive in a separate physical location.

I'm realizing now that "twice the computing power" was a bad choice of words, but you kind of know what I mean.

wtf is that..
its 2017