Does anyone on Sup Forums own a chromebook and would like to share their experience...

Does anyone on Sup Forums own a chromebook and would like to share their experience? I'm debating between a chromebook like the acer r11 and a thinkpad like lenovo x230. I really need something as lightweight and small as possible, but I still need to be able to use flash and photoshop

You don't want a chromebook.
None of them are good.
They're all shit out of the box, and some of them can be made useful via hacks for putting a different OS on there... but why are you buying something that you have to fuck with to get to work? Unless your time is worthless, any cost savings (doubtful anyways) aren't worth it.

TL;DR: Chromebooks are shit, and will never not be shit if you need anything more than a facebook machine.

I do. I have toshiba chromebook 2 (2014 swanky). Great battery life (~10 hours), amazing screen, ok performance. I use it mainly for shitposting/yt/occasional work in the terminal and I can confidently say it has been the best purchase in my life.

It is noteworthy that I bought it second hand for 190$, but it would be still worth it at double the price.

I mean the only reason I have for even considering one is portability, I just need something cheap that I can fit in my backpack to carry around all day. I really don't do anything beyond photoshop and word processing on my computer anyway so I don't need anything fancy...

I just don't see this as reasonable... $190 for something that can use a terminal to SSH into something else? Sounds pricey af.

What’s wrong with Chromebooks? If all you do is run office and can use Azure/AWS then why buy a local OS/ 1080Ti ??

I'm travelling a lot, so why not?

get something you can put a real os on fucktard or get an ipad pro. everything else is stupid

no

Literally get the ThinkPad. It will be so much better than some cheap Chromebook.

Been using chromebooks for around 5 years now. They're pretty neat. Ran arch on that cheap ARM Samsung chromebook; battery was pretty amazing while still being light af.

Now I'm using a Chromebook pixel I got for $400. Crouton is a little painful and it runs REALLY hot. But honestly its a lot better than the x201t it replaced.

I have a acer chromebook 11 running manjaro i3wm. It's quite slow, but the big problem is drivers compatibility and storage(the headphone jack dosen't work and there is only 12 Gb -- 2Gb for swap).

Also, I'm goiing to buy a MemePad today.

I have acer chromebook 14, the 4GB HD version.

At first I loved it because of the razor-slim metal build and beautiful screen.

Then I began to hate it for it's limitations. No SD card slot, can't run any software apart from android apps, chrome "apps" actually aren't apps and data doesn't persist between sessions, etc

But then I began to love it again. It provides an UNPARALLED Sup Forums shitposting experience, the battery lasts forever, and streaming video is an absolutely joy. Android HOMM3 works great and I plan to try out Linux via Crouton soon for the sole purpose of playing Minecraft.

All in all an EXCELLENT purchase.

Light and small as possible does not describe an x230. It's a great laptop nonetheless, I've been owning one for over five years, bought new, still rock solid.

I like Chromebooks personally.
I bought one for my whole family. SO much better than having to fuck around with repairing their shitty slow Windows laptops

have a pixel 2 ls (samus), it feels and runs amazing especially after the android apps were enabled but it's nothing like a proper windows laptop.

I'm not sure if you can get proper photoshop on it.

If you're gonna go for thinkpads I'd recommend an x240 or x250.

>recommending the ThinkPad with the absolute worst iGPU performance
fucken just I swear
first it's ThinkPad with capital t and capital p
second the X240 only has 1 RAMslot, making it slower than even the older X230 (was fixed though with X250)
luark more in /tpg/ you retard

this is peak autism

Do you need the touch screen? If not then get pic related
ASUS Chromebook C300
Only $169 on Amazon right now

Sadly I'm in canada so I can't get that deal. Right now I'm stuck between getting the r11 or the slightly more expensive acer 14

Chromebooks are for plebs. Get a real computer. Get a Thinkpad and install Linux on it.

ChromeOS is shit. My little brother who goes to highschool asked me to find him the best he could get under €500. Turns out the best (spec-wise) at the time was something from Acer. I played around with it for 10 minutes and I think I might've gotten Carpal Tunnel during those 10 minutes. You have to click all the fucking time. It's a pain in the wrist and fingers. Also, there's no easy way to gain complete administor rights.

I've got an r11 and use it everyday. It serves as a YouTube/Sup Forums/research machine while working and or gaming at my PC. Also use it to stream fallout 4 via steam/crouton while laying in bed. It's also great for travel because it's so light and can literally be replaced in within an hour if it gets stolen or trashed.

I have a c720 i put core boot on involving removing a screw from inside and put linux mint on it. works fine. i use my thinkpad more desu

>there's no easy way to gain complete administor rights.
I'm pretty sick of this in consumer operating systems. Developers think everything needs to be hidden from the user, and the worst part is a lot of people seem to really enjoy it and think it's the way things should be.

Good for old people.

Not much else.

That metal body is pretty nice imo

>but I still need to be able to use flash and photoshop
>photoshop
>chromebook
Are you insane

they're great and super secure. don't listen to anyone who tells ya to crouton it, just use the default apps, use secure shell or termux if you want a linuxy shell

go for the memepad, i've had the hp chromebook 11 with an exynos in it as a starter, magnesium roll cage, amazing screen and keyboard, but held back by the mind-blowing shit processor. i paid 40$ for that one, later on i had the opportunity to grab a toshiba chromebook 13 2 for 55$, ok screen, decent keyboard, but its running a celeron n2840.

used it with chromeos for about a year, got used to it, installed loonix via chrotoun but it worked pretty wonky, i got somewhat fed with it and librebooted it, currently running windows 10 with a permanent space of 400mb left, windows cant even update because of no space, i use a combination of SD cards and usb3 drives to run my shit on.

get the x230.

i bought mine for 55$, i'm running w10 after a year of running chromeos, mine was a display unit though, i still cashed in the free google drive100gb for a year deal, i've never got 10 hours tho, so dont go on telling lies, my buddy man.

>photoshop
not happening on a chromebook, retard.

owning a chromebook acer r11 for almost a year now (4gb ram, N3150)
I really like it.
If you use crouton you can have a almost full fletched ubuntu which gives you great options for basic coding and even gaming thorugh steam. (playing barony, super meat boy, project zomboid on it)

It's super small, lightweight, doesn't get hot(!) and has an actually good build quality.

Chrome os is a breeze to use and because of countless cloud serviçes emerging in the recent time you can do almost everything on this little things.

The only thing that I am missing is a decent DAW.(god, when will there be a linux version of ableton live)

I recommend

I have the Toshiba Chromebook 2. Bought it for $270 brand new. I get almost 13 hours on a single charge if I leave the screen brightness at 50%. I'm using the stock ChromeOS install
>Intel Celeron 3215U
>4GB ddr3
>16GB sata based m.2 SSD (replaceable)
>13.3" 1080p IPS screen (non touch)
>Skullcandy tuned audio

It does everything I want it to. ChromeOS is rather intuitive. My only complaint is it's rather anemic file browser. Also ChromeOS is Gentoo. So you can get the real Linux experience ™. Newer model Chromebooks (the new Asus flip comes to mind) even have native out of the box authority to run android apps.

I'm getting one soon, which one is the most lightweight and affordable?

OP here. I'm just saying fuck it, and getting a thinkpad x240 for $100 more than the r11