The Linux file managers no thumbnails meme has finally subsided and died for good Sup Forums

The Linux file managers no thumbnails meme has finally subsided and died for good Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154&
aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk2-patched-filechooser-icon-view/
aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk3-patched-filechooser-icon-view/
gist.github.com/ahodesuka/49c1d0eea4b64f24c4c7
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The thumbnail meme refers to the little file icons retard

When will anime watchers die for good?

When will casuals that need a dedicated file manager over their terminal fuck off for good?

Yep, problem solved.

how

Why are you still running Gnome?

>what is ffmpegthumbnailer or tumblr

All that wasted space, just to display a thumbnail, disgusting.

You can adjust it. It's KDE.

what manager is this? and how do I choose what program to use as file picker? this is the only relevant entry in about:config and all it does is switch between default and xf4ce(?) style

i wasn't aware this was a problem?

Linux is a kernel. There are no Linux file managers.

Never :^)

What font is that? Also, nice collection

Thanks! Font is Terminus, called "xos4-terminus" in the Arch repos

that's not a thumbnail, that's a file preview
you have to select the file and only applies to that one
picture thumbnails would show you tiny, thumb sized previews in the file icon so you can locate the picture you want with one gaze

Daily reminder a GTK2/3 patch exists that fixes this but gnome won't accept it because it's "too slow" (even though it's faster than the Windows thumbnailer).

>hurr... a side preview is the same thing as having thumbnails for all the images.

Thank you! Will look into that :-)

What shit taste. You should probably neck yourself before you actually get into anime.

>tfw people still create threads about this on Sup Forums instead of pestering the gnome devs
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154&

No problem user, font is set to 16px on a 1080p monitor just in case thats your resolution

Says the neckbeard who probably jacks off into his [insert moeshit anime here] bodypillow

linux is an os too

>Sup Forums hates mac/apple
>Sup Forums uses an OS that is desperately trying to copy MacOS

But the Linux operating system does not dictate which file manager you use. There are multiple Linux compatible file managers. They do not all experience this problem.

I bless your computer, my child.

>trying to copy macos
You gotta be 18 to post here bud

That's not default. OP customized his distro to look like homOSseX.

Btw you're a faggot.

could you point me in the direction of this? I'd like to patch my own.

stay mad faggot

funny, a lot of linux screenshots seem to look like macOS...

not even mad kiddo

t. owner of an iPad Air 2 and iMac

yep that is clearly a preview... but i have had thumbnails in cinnamon and nemo forevor

Fucking board won't let me post links to the patches...thinks it's spam. Here are the AUR packages:

aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk2-patched-filechooser-icon-view/
aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk3-patched-filechooser-icon-view/

The link to the gist on github for the patch is on those pages if you're not on Arch.

Going to need a copy of that kizuna, senpaitachi

>hurr.. the file manager is the same thing as the file picker

It is not and you image has nothing to do with it
Because it is about the GTK file picker having no thumbnail support

And a lot more look like Microsoft Windows. Funny huh?

Can you share what theme, icons and setup you're using?

bump (not that comments work that way)

Holy fuck, that fooled me before I looked at the neofetch

When I was working for Comcast Technology Solutions they assigned me a macbook pro. I gave OSX a fair chance. In some ways it is better than Windows, but in other ways it is worse. In the end I decided to install Arch Linux on it. Figured that while I was at it I should have it imitate OSX as closely as possible so I could show it off to all the OSX-fags at work and have them be impressed by the features you can get on Linux operating systems without hearing a bunch of subjective idiotic comments about how Linux looks bad.

heh so i see you run gnome, i'm actually on ___________ myself

That doesn't change between GTK or QT, but between mozillas unusable garbage and either system defualt

>teamviewer
>raspberry pi

Except that we need to click the image to see it, the problem still persists and I HATE IT.

Why the fuck are you so obsessed with Matrix, this isn't 2003.

>this guy

Doesn't know the difference between an OS and a kernel.
Doesn't knowl the difference between a file manager and a file picker.
Just wow.

>Figured that while I was at it I should have it imitate OSX as closely as possible so I could show it off to all the OSX-fags at work and have them be impressed by the features you can get on Linux operating systems

its almost like this guy didn't know that OS X runs BSD underneath the shiny exterior or something

ありがとう、user-kun. Rebuilding gtk+ on Gentoo with those patches here.

Please explain to the class what you think an OS is. Not any specific OS, just what it means in general with your own words. After that, explain what a monolithic kernel is with your own words. You do know there's a difference between kernel types, right? This should be a piece of cake for you then.

Darwin != BSD

>his operating system doesn't have the best file picker prompt
lmao

all people want is thumbnail grid view in the filepicker itself, rather than just list view and the sidebar preview
it's not a remotely unreasonable request

you can get really fucking tiny 16x16 thumbnails in list view, but that's it

>this is an actual problem Linux-fags have
Remind me again why I shouldn't just use Windows?

File Pickers display image thumbnails just fine. It's usually GTK file pickers that are a problem when it comes to thumbnails. Even Vivaldi has it right. Since I use KDE, Vivaldi automatically uses the KDialog as the file picker while Firefox can't seem to get its head out of its ass.

>The Linux file manager
No such thing.

>he doesn't have thumbnails in his file picker
Are you even trying ?

>he thinks a preview is a thumbnail

It isn't.

What dock is that

It's funny, because people think they want thumbnails when previews are objectively better and have always been around. I never understood this stupid argument.

I don't know why you _should_ use Windows, 'you' referring to anyone. It's harder to use, it's not made as well, there are less features, less modularity, it actively spies on you and harms you.

MacOS isn't BSD, you fucking moron.

>boku no
True weeb detected

You should patch glib2 with this as well so thumbnails are generated if they don't already exist in the system.
gist.github.com/ahodesuka/49c1d0eea4b64f24c4c7

>if they don't already exist in the system
Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm already using tumbler so I don't need this, correct?

I wish I could hate them to death.

If you download a file and then immediately open up the dialog, you won't see a thumbnail since it hasn't been generated. Tumbler doesn't run on the upload dialog. Of course, if you open up your file manager and generate thumbnails there, then you'll see them on the dialog. So it's not really necessary, but it's nice to have.

Seen these all over and finally got curious. What are you using to generate them?

Why do you sperglings always have your previews set to max size? Has staring at a computer screen all day roasted your eyeballs? It would take forever to find what you want in any appreciably sized folder.

>they don't know how to drag and drop

I thought luzers were tech litterate

Are we sharing collections? ^_^

Plasma is great right now.

how do I change to my file picker/file manager of choice? also using palemoon (do not bully)

Too much wasted space.

(You).

>using a GUI
I'm a retard for not watching Neon Genesis Evangelion earlier.

>drag and drop
You couldn't possibly be more of a faggot.

can you change the icon view to 'text under icon' instead of 'text next to icon' like in pic?

No one actually watches anime anymore.

fucking liar
I'm on KDE too but mine is completely different
did you seriously make that in photoshop?

You are using GTK filepicker, I believe SUSE packs a version of Firefox that uses KDE filepicker.
Chrome uses KDE filepicker by default if you run Plasma

That meme has been dead for a while. What outdated piece of shit software packages are you neckbeards running?

It's called upstream GTK

very nice
I'm sorry I doubted you

Mr. Robot is my favorite anime.

Get on my level, plebs

You already got fucked by someone ITT with at least 12TB of storage.

How do I change my cinnamon to KDE?

um..user..
are those all owned by root?