What does Sup Forums think of the Netgear Orbi?

What does Sup Forums think of the Netgear Orbi?

Choosing between this and an Asus RT-AC68U x 2 with WAN bypass mode.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PvAFsyx5yKA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

68u is better if you wire them together

this

But isn't that exactly part of the Orbi's appeal? You don't have to wire shit aside from their power. This means you can station one in the middle of a big house.

Just run an ethernet cable through the walls. You'll learn something in the process.

Not happening.

Orbi it is.

I have the rbk50 and it's great, but I did have to disable auto updates because the 2.x firmware made it unstable

What do you want out of a router?

Something that will spread out Wi-Fi throughout my two-storey house, giving good enough bandwidth to stream 1080p/60fps about 15 meters & 1 concrete wall away.

Right now, I have a Linksys E2000 Router where the main PC is (very outdated) and a Netgear Modem Router my ISP sent me last year (don't know the exact specs, but it's dual band and supports ac). Both are located downstairs, the router is at the south end of the house, the modem is in the middle. If I'm at the north end of the house and try to connect say, a phone, to the southern router (Linksys E2000), I get poor signal, but it's much better with the Modem Router. That being said, one of my streaming PCs is upstairs directly above the southern router, and it gets poor signal from the modem.

tl;dr: I want a solution that lets me stream from the PC directly above my router (southern end), that will reach the northern end, lower floor (aprox 15-20 meters away).

Image related.

Orbi or AC68U?

Looks like the issue here is the physical layout. Different routers won’t make much difference. You need to run cat5 or consider a power line solution.

What are you talking about? The Orbi covers 4000 square ft. Do you not know how it works?

Marketing bullshit. WiFi router transmission power is capped by the FCC, the 4,000 square feet is for an open space, not across walls and floors/ceilings.

Then explain the benchmarks.

youtube.com/watch?v=PvAFsyx5yKA

I just installed an Eero mesh system in my parents' town home for Christmas. Because of the shape of the house, a one router set up resulted in a ridiculous amount of deadzones.

From the research I did, it seems Orbi is best in its class. However there not being a solid three set deal was a deal breaker for me as I specifically needed one for each floor. If you don't require more than 2 beacons, I say go for it. Being able to hit those deadzones is fantastic. It just depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

The whole point is that the mesh system allows for a strategic set up that avoids walls/floors/whathaveyou.

OP didn’t say that he was going to use two in a mesh configuration.

You should put one of your Orbi routers outside the room with the modem port and run a flat Ethernet cord along the wall and floor to the hallway. Then put the second Orbi upstairs somewhere in the hallway upstairs.

Well it's either that or running Ethernet cables as you said.

My interpretation of his post is that he is considering a single Orbi downstairs thinking it’ll have better range

WiFi mesh networking are neat, but their only advantage is not having to run cabling.
Wired WiFi AP's are always going to be a better solution, but I can see why a mesh network would be attractive to someone in an apartment or flat where you can't run cabling to where you want an AP.

Well that's stupid.

If your smart about it and not too autistic about stuff on your wall you can run Ethernet on your wall without damage with the right adhesive.
It would look a little ugly but IMO I care more about bandwidth/stability than the look of a few cables on the wall

If he’s posting on g there is probably a problem with his mom not wanting visible wires

Guess I'm lucky that my parents own there house and drilling a few holes trough the floor to run Ethernet is no big deal

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, and I'm impressed you gathered that much from my shit image.

Sadly, the people I'm living with hate cords going along the floor.

Refer to Currently the idea is having an Orbi replace the "current router", then putting the Orbi Satellite upstairs somewhere.

Still deciding between the AC86U and the Orbi, and whether or not I could use the Modem Router as an access point instead of the double-NAT shit I have now.

Heads up, do NOT buy the Linksys WRT32x router under any circumstances. Huge firmware bug which they refuse to fix, requiring a reset multiple times a day to keep it workin.

Is it possible to plug in an Ethernet cable from the WAN port of a router to a router that's connected to the internet and assign it a WAN IP address of the local network subnet of the main router and share the connection through WiFi on a different subnet?

The reason why I ask is that the main router has set WiFi isolation which makes it impossible to connect to other PCs on the local network.

do you even know what mesh networks are

That’s called bridge mode