How are flip phones still alive in Japan? What's their secret?

How are flip phones still alive in Japan? What's their secret?

Other urls found in this thread:

talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91142&page=301
galaxymobile.jp/
softbank.jp/mobile/products/list/simply-prepaid/
youtube.com/watch?v=u3ZuELh7rhI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They are too busy watching anime to waste time getting new phones.

old man phone in a country of old (wo)men

They understand
>Utility
vs
>Functionality

Their secret is that they abhor change and cling to established ways with frightening zeal.

this
it literally took two nukes to get them to westernize

Did this thing ever got released?

They also still use faxes

Are you retarded? The reason why they took over Korea and China so quickly, despite both being in the process of getting western hand-me-downs, was because Japan westernized rapidly and even overtook the west in engineering based on western technology.

I legit only use my phone for phonecalls, sms, mms, and sometimes for the rear camera. The flip phones I used over 10 years ago did all of this then so I'm not surprised. All you need is a nicer camera and screen and you're set. They're smaller too which is nice.

Aren't you all weeaboos?
Japan is all about iPhones nowadays, you're watching too many kids cartoons.

I see cocks In the us use flip phones all the time

they aren't.
it's all iPhone.

This.

p much this

after we nuked them into oblivion and gave them gibsmedats they rebuilt their country with American machinery and manufacturing hardware. More or less "hey sorry for decimating your population and reducing your entire country to dust over the last 3 years, let us build a couple air bases here and pwn the Pacific theater with our superior air power and we'll help you rebuild."

Which was fucked up considering the U-530 project, their treatment of POWs, the Bataan Deathmarch and the Rape of Nanjing.

Is this the propaganda that gets fed to americans these days?

The US, and I'm pretty sure Europe, does as well.

fax machines are still alive in japan. Its because they're an assbackwards societ of luddites and their entire business sector is ran by 80 year old men who still run their businesses like its the 1960s

Japan basically got lost in the early 2000's, they still use fax machines for everything, smartphones are relatively uncommon, lots of people are still using CRT TVs.
It's nothing like the cyberpunk utopia everybody thought it would turn into in the 90s. Hell, most .jp domains load up crazily outdated looking, 2001-Yahoo-Style pages.

Smartphones are a meme. out of 100k apps, you only use 10 and of those 10 only 1 is useful for life and that's messages and calls.

My friend has a flip phone for calls and an iPhone without any data/sim card for text (kakao/line).

>fax
simole and cheap
>CRTs
the digital ones easily rival the best LCDs you see

email is just as simple and cheaper. And they absolutely do not rival the best LCDs or LEDs

Most japanese people are over 40 years old, they dont understand modern devices. Japanese culture teaches people only use 100% japanese products. This is why NEC still making flip-phones and why they still buying of that brand, because they dont like american brands (iphone, android, etc)

>It's because these are the superior technologies and the japanese are smart!
No it's because they're retards who hate changing anything

Better contrast and more accurate color reproduction than any and all TN panels, any AMOLED, non pro grade IPS, and much more reliable than any of them. It's just stats

USA is still using checks

Or they are too smart for western consumerism, thankfully.

Flashlights, documents, voice recording, camera, music, calculator, time keeping are all useful

How often are you in a setting where you have no access to a physical alternative to any of those or need them as a whole?

ya but they're fucking huge, draw way more power, suffer burn in, produce less sharp images and the actually flat ones have a line in the middle of them. Also good LED's have really good colour accuracy, I doubt many people can even tell the difference. The black levels are also considerably better than LCD (although not as good as crt).

this is also stupid

It's because their feature phones did a lot more than western ones. They did email, games and so on before the smartphone.
Thus there was less need to upgrade so fast to smartphones.

>huge
ehrm get a good desk
>power draw
you use this device every day, it's worth it
>less sharp
you can get CRTs in 1900x1200, and they work outside their native resolution, unlike LCDs

They have eastern consumerims intead. Just diferent brands and consumer objects.
Don't delude yourself thinking japs ain't consumer whores. They don't use smarphoned simply because age and paradigm change.
On the other hand look at japs consoles and vidya sales. While not as great as it once was it is still huge!
Then idolshit annd all the merch.
Japs are consumerist whore like any other capitalist nation, they are just not as influenced by American media and are nationalist so they consume different things

this 1900x1200 is very close to "Full HD"
is there any 1920x1280 CRT?

Not that I'm aware of, but you can letterbox that shit.

It just so happens what they consume are cheaper alternatives to what we consume.

using an IBM P260 @ 2048x1536 77hz
great for desktop work, will never go back

ITS CHEAP

Also because old people can't figure out how to use smart phones. I also see people with 2 phones. 1 flip phone and 1 smart phone. They do it because plans are cheaper with the flip phones

Why would I spend the money or space on those things when I could just use a phone instead?

Emails don't constitute as a paper archive while inkjet faxes are.

Also, there are plenty of android flipphones in japan, it's a style choice, not everyone wants a brick shaped phone.

As for CRTs, I didn't see much of them during my visit, but I'm sure there are still some in the old rural areas full of old people just like there are where I live. Hell, there is still a old CRT TV repairshop that is still in business here.

sure they do, emails are presented as evidence in court all the time

hell, even facebook and sms messages are

Not who you are replying to, but it isn't ALL propaganda. The United States initially viewed Japan as just another isolationist country with Chinese origins. There had been little negotiation with Japan over the decades since they had decided to follow in the West's footsteps and most of it led to Japan being indebted to the US. What we knew of the Japanesw came from a handful of academics who lived there and was reported back but even that was taken with a grain of salt with the mentality that the academics had synpathies from living there for so long.

This led the Japanese seeking other foreign relationships (other than Denmark and the US of course), which Germany was more than willing to accomodate. Hitler was a total weeb. Well, he saw what General MacArthur saw during his ruling/rebuilding of Japan in 1945: A society built on dedication and loyalty to whatever cause was laid in front of them. To Hitler they were a fearsome fightinf force, to MacArthur they were America version 2.0

>Hell, most .jp domains load up crazily outdated looking, 2001-Yahoo-Style pages.

>Implying this is bad
Fuck loading a 200Mb JS ridden piece of shit website

What the fuck is the point? Seriously, why not just make phone calls on it if it's able to? It's already botnet anyway.

Not either of those people, but the US did give tens of billions then to war-affected countries after the war and basically created the united nations. They did it all out of self-interest, but they still did it

Agree.

still in development/PR
see:
>talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91142&page=301

Because flip-phones are cool.

especially the ones that go almost 180

Not sure about that, but usuall flip-phones are cool, because they have bigass keyboard, separate screen, and you can cancel a call in no time....

They're salty that Apple, Google, Samsung and the chinks are making money hand over fist on facebookphones and the only Japanese company that even makes phones is Sony and who the fuck even knows those exist outside of Japan?

Sent from my XA1 Ultra

Evidence is one thing, being able to call something a document in corporate world is another

they aren't

Business men rather just have something simple since they are on the move for the majority of the day. Also most peps from Jap are over 40 so they can't be assed to learn new tech. Iphone and Sony's phones are popular between the young crow tho.

Only on Sup Forums will I ever get retards defending CRTs. It's over. They're huge, they draw tons of power, magnets make them go nuts, they often flicker due to low refresh rates, they emit tons of RF noise, they have a size limit, they can't be powered by cheaper UPS devices and their blacks are really not that special.

You're just being reddit-tier hipsters, just like the fags who use typing machines in 2017.

what's a good nip flip phone?

they're functional

plus if they want to play games they use a game boy

who's still making phones with physical keyboards? My mom really likes them and I'm sure I'm gonna have to get her a new one soon.

They use iphones , but I agree with their ideology of not changing a thing if it is already superior to the """new""" technology.

90% iPhone
5% Sony
4% Samsung
1% Flip phones

I just bought a blackberry priv, there's keyone too but it was kinda expensive for me

They.. aren't.

They have tiny eyes so they don't need more screen space.

What the fuck am I reading

can confirm for Europe

Everyone on the train has smart phones from my experience.

it's 30% sony, 30% iPhone and 20% various jap brands, 10% flip and 10% samsung.

What's your reaction when you realize samsung phones are not advertised with the samsung logo in Japan?

galaxymobile.jp/

Newest mobile phone

softbank.jp/mobile/products/list/simply-prepaid/

>old consoles
>movies
>fidelity

>refresh rate is acceptable
>I have no need to move a monitor or television
>my computer consume way more than a television
>why the heck on Earth would you care a magnet near to any electronic device?

Dude living in Japan here.

>How are flip phones still alive in Japan?

They aren't. They are dead now. Almost everyone has smartphones. Older people may have a flip phone, and sometimes salarymen havea second flip phone for business (though most people I know actually have a second smartphone).

>What's their secret?

They used to be as capable as a smartphone back before smartphones were a thing. Everyone had a capable browser and supported e-mail. The e-mail thing actually became common due to the fact text messages didn't work across networks. So in order to communicate between carriers e-mail became popular.

They're practical. I own one myself and wouldn't think of browsing the interwebs when I'm not home.
People want things they don't need, that's why smartphones became so popular in the first place.

>text messages didn't work across networks
wut
I am in a 3rd world country and there were never such restrictions.

Until June 1, 2011, the career did not try to connect.

The warm color of Trinitron phosphors is as soulful as Kodachrome.

Japanese letters can be written faster than typing.

FAX > Print out
Write a letter > Press the button > Swiping

They also use fax machines, were the last ones to stop using VHS, they use Windows 7 with Internet Explorer and Yahoo as their main search engine.

Japan is retarded at tech, flip phones just happen to be the one exception to this where being dumb is better for you.

youtube.com/watch?v=u3ZuELh7rhI

in krautland almost every business and government facility still uses fax too, maybe not primarily tho

They fucking use it not as a replacement for emails, but as a method to send sensitive documents, how hard is it to get.

The US does the same thing.

I don't think they are anymore. Iphone and Android have completely taken over by now.

>Don't delude yourself thinking japs ain't consumer whores.
It's not as common because of the deflation from the last 20 years

I see the "Japan still using fax machines" in most Sup Forums threads. Is because some Sup Forums users dont have a real job? A lot of western business, government, academic and non-profit organizations still rely on fax in one way or another.

Uh I can get a $100 CRT with variable refresh rate (60-100+) with relatively true to life colors.
For that, I need to spend $500+ on a tuned LCD.
But I guess I'm just being a hipster, I should instead support a corrupted industry.

Japanese still use a lot of flip phones and the iPhone loses market share constantly now that the Japanese Android makers have caught up. Japanese people buy and use Japanese products unless the foreign competitor is far and away better, iPhone is pretty much equal to Android now for the 99% of people that aren't developers. Mac computers never had much market share in Japan to begin with since most of the software is shittily written and will only work on Windows or an IE browser