MP3 players

Curious to see what types of portable music playin devices Sup Forums uses. Crushed my IPod Touch on the job earlier today and I’m looking to replace it with something non-pozzed. Ideally:
>at least 64gb storage
>bluetooth capable
>supports FLAC, AAC
>somewhat rugged

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Bassplay-Resolution-Support-Expandable-Storage/dp/B06XSG3N1X/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1514522852&sr=1-5&refinements=p_n_feature_six_browse-bin:2204853011
amazon.com/Shanling-AK4490EQ-Bluetooth-DSD256-Lossless/dp/B071KX3J5B
amazon.com/Master-Quality-Digital-Player-Leather/dp/B071Z8SNS8/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1514548266&sr=1-4&keywords=cayin n3
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what you want to do is search aliexpress for ruizu, theres also benjie and filo but after using apple all my life i just cant stomach chinese UI... they are all terrible

thats why i use this... zishan Z2... i download a couple of 24/192 .flac or .wv rips every day and use it for critical listening ... no ui... pure black box... i love the thing...

recently bought the ak70. it's great.

Cowon's Plenue R is bluetooth ready and has 128GB. All of their products support pretty much every codec under the sun, big reason why I got the A3 back in the day

why does the storage matter if you just put a 512gb card in it?

Most dedicated PMPs don't have SD card support because manufacturers figured out that most people are fine with 64-128GB of on-board storage, and can save cost on not having to include SD card controllers

but even shitty mp3 players like the sandisk clip have sdcard support

>sandisk clip
>shitty
Get out.

I’ll look into these brands. Was hoping to pick up something in the sub-$300 range

Why are they so pricey?

Because it costs a fuck ton of money to set up production and the market for these devices is just a fraction of what it was just 5-10 years ago.

Are players in the ~$100 range all shit? All I want is something that can play FLACs and other lossless codecs, would something like this:

amazon.com/Bassplay-Resolution-Support-Expandable-Storage/dp/B06XSG3N1X/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1514522852&sr=1-5&refinements=p_n_feature_six_browse-bin:2204853011

not be recommended? I'm new to this so any explanation as to why would be great, especially if it has to do with audio quality not being as good.

Honestly, I would just by any shitty $30 prepaid, manlet sized android phone and install Poweramp. Put it in airplane mode to disable cellular and save battery life. If you use bluetooth than the quality of the shitphone's DAC is irrelevant.

those will have 8gb and no sdcard support

Use your phone you fucking retards

The Ruizu X02 and AGPtek Rocker are both fine FLAC-capable players for less than $60. You can get the Sandisk Clip Sport Plus for about $50 and it's the size of a pager, has bluetooth and plays FLAC. No expandable storage on that one though.

You are clearly not looking very hard.

Dedicated MP3 players are a specialty enthusiast item nowadays. Everybody else just uses their phone.

i wish dac reviews were more of a thing. it's hard to find a proper review for these kinds of devices.

I just want something under 200 that plays FLAC and isn't touchscreen, with a volume scroll wheel (the scroll wheel is essential)

I don't own a phone.

Got an iPod Video a few weeks ago, still need to toss in an SSD and upgrade the battery. Thinking about adding Bluetooth too. I remembered the 30-pin has RS-232 as well and want to write a Rockbox program to flash my ham radios as well.

Sounds like you want a FiiO X1

Looks decent but I'm specifically looking for a volume wheel like the ak70 has. It's just a bit difficult to search engine things like this haha.

I think these days the solution is

Any otg r android phone with sdcard support
Rocket Player
Otg DAC / headphone amp
Decent headphone

Well you are fucking idiot. They sound absolutely terrible. I can't listen to mine anymore. You have no idea how far the black art of dc-dc converters op amps, over sampling, dither and noise shaping algos and jitter reduction / correction has come...

But do t ask me I totally don't know anything.

I'm sure the fact that I run line-out to an amp helps. Even so, I'm fine with the sound quality. I don't listen to music to wank to it. I want my DAP to be pleasant to use, and nothing beats the iPod when it comes to that.

>Rocket Player
you have to pay just play a flac?

Get a FiiO, best media player I've owned.

>I'm sure the fact that I run line-out to an amp helps

Buyers remorse: Bargaining stage.

It's won't help anything. It's shit. The audio engine is shit (the eq is a distortion joke) and the actual dacs and op amps are are 2005 era tech. Just nope.

But don't let the word get out. I actually have 2 or 3 spare I should sell for top dollar to idiots like you.

Please explain to me why you would buy an MP3 player when phones exist.

This is my 5th iPod. If I didn't like them, I'd stop buying them. Quit being a fucking moron and accept the fact that I like something you don't.
>the hardware in this device from 2005 is 2005-era technology
Whoa
> I actually have 2 or 3 spare I should sell for top dollar to idiots like you.
I spent $30

I use a creative nomad zen xtra. Planning on replacing the HDD with an SD card at some point.

I didn't pay user and haven't noticed any annoyances. I only suggest it because it bypasses various audio layer on android and apparently that's beneficial. Sounds better than Poweramp.

i have one for my car that just lives in there

For the same reason you would buy a camera, a microphone, a GPS tracker, an e-reader...

I understand why you would want to buy the listed items, because they perform a certain function better than a smartphone. You saying that MP3 players can play music somehow better than a standard smartphone?

The only good model in their line-up is the X5, and even that's too big to be considered 'portable'. The X1 is garbage that constantly crashes and has below average sound quality.

iPods sound fucking garbage though. I will never understand why these things are being shilled as much as they are lately. If someone suggested one of these on Sup Forums a couple of years ago, you'd be laughed out of the thread.

It is shit. Battery is laughably poor (and dies within a year) and it has audible hiss, and like the Fiio X1, it has below average sound quality.

It's no coincidence that the 2 most shilled devices in these threads are the Clip and iPod, they both have Rockbox. I guess it makes some of the people here on Sup Forums feel special and less retarded. It's just a shitty OS with an equally shit UI that kills battery, don't fall for the meme.

OP, if you a GOOD portable MP3 player, that has an actual 40+ hour battery life and has the specs you want, get the Sony Walkman A-17. It has a nice UI and sounds fantastic.
And if you're feeling extra autistic, there's a Rockbox port for it now too, but you won't need it.

>The X1 is garbage that constantly crashes and has below average sound quality.
It sounds fine, never had mine crash.

>I spent $30

mfw used 5th gen ipod classics here are overpriced as fuck, thanks to """audiophiles"""

That would depend on the mp3 player and smartphone but yes, there is such thing as different DAC quality, and the ones that come with smartphones often aren't great.
But more than that, (for me at least) it's about having a dedicated device for doing something you like. It's about being able to plug your mp3 player to some source away from you and not being left phone-less.

t. Sony shill

Kys audiophile

the fuck are you even doing in this thread?

3 phones are good for music LG v20, LG 6, LG v30. Does not matter the carrier. You need to run Neutron, or poweramp beta. Check out head-fi forums.

From what I've found, the ak line of products are the only players without a completely shit ui. Almost everything else is absolutely awful. My ak70 has a super responsive and simple ui. However, if you don't care about a garbage ui you have a fuckton of options.

Not him, but my xiaomi rn3p sounded like shit, same goes with realtek internal soundcard.

My dad's phone and some $30 chink bluetooth receiver sounded way better

Not even shilling. Posting from experience.

Proof.

I went down the micro sd upgrade path for my ipod video, a few things that bugged me were: its sluggish, the battery life (new battery) is still poor and it feels cheap without the weight of the hdd in it.

Shanling m2s?
amazon.com/Shanling-AK4490EQ-Bluetooth-DSD256-Lossless/dp/B071KX3J5B

Im going with a cayin n3
amazon.com/Master-Quality-Digital-Player-Leather/dp/B071Z8SNS8/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1514548266&sr=1-4&keywords=cayin n3

>not shanling m1
m8, you want a dap, not aloha snackbar detonator

I had a cayin N3
Build quality isn't as good as it looks.
Go for shanling if you don't use BA IEMs.

>kill battery
It gives 25h battery on the clip zip which is longer than stock (for me)
Also got about as long from an ipod with it.
Plays just about any format you can think of except maybe dsd meme.
Sony players are nice, they are more practical because they have a nice UI and decent battery. But their audio quality isn't anything special.
The high end walkmans are just retarded though.

Just get an old smartphone

>you want more space just buy the 128gb version goy

Just get an old ipod off craigslist and install your own OS on it. I remember doing this when I was like 15 on an original ipod video to play FLAC because for some retarded reason I thought FLAC was necessary

>But their audio quality isn't anything special.

I don't believe that this is true. I've owned several mp3 players over the years, and not just Sony. Their low-priced stuff is un-expectedly shit, but their S and A series have always stood out for exceptional audio quality. It's only recently that they've truly been outclassed by the super high-end which is 10x or even 20x the cost.

Waiting for my fiio x10 from China, how fucked am I lads

S and A series very often have exactly the same hardware as E series, though ever since they started with the meme audiophile business that's no longer the case.
Regardless they're not perfect sources, A1x/A2x has high (2-3 ohm) output impedance (will fuck with BA IEMs) and noticeable hissing. They also don't have enough power to drive some fullsize headphones.
Otherwise they're fine, FR is flat, sufficient SNR/DR, but you'd expect that out of just about anything these days.

>I had a cayin N3
>Build quality isn't as good as it looks.
Damn ive already ordered, what are you using now?

>S and A series very often have exactly the same hardware as E series
The only E series that shared hardware with the A and S series was the E-060.

There's also no hissing with the A1x models, if there is, it's faulty.

Nothing. I sold almost all my stuff for now.

There is if you use something sensitive enough.
Also I'd say quite a few of the JP S models share hardware with similar E models, though I don't remember the specifics.

>bluetooth capable
Why? File transfer?

Primarily the convenience of not having to deal with any wiring when connecting to my car stereo

This thing.
Glorious china

Like I said, I got it to listen to music, not to wank to music.

It isn't really worth getting a dedicated dap if your primary method of listening will be over Bluetooth. Especially not an expensive one.