How'd he do it? Apple was pretty much done for after Windows steamrolled it in the 90's...

How'd he do it? Apple was pretty much done for after Windows steamrolled it in the 90's. How'd it become a 900 billion dollar company?

He made a deal with Microsoft to put IE on Macs in exchange for some capital, then set about stealing/refining concepts invented elsewhere to market them towards normies. For example, MP3 players and music jukebox software, smart phones, and tablet computers.

If he only stole it then why didn't someone else market it normies before he did.

/thread

>Deal with Microsoft

Did bill ever regret this decision later?

He successfully marketed a Mac as something other than a computer.
This meant he avoided all the shiposters for a while that complained it wasn't like on windows. Talking about operating systems just confuses people so I guess it is the right thing.
You still see "works on PC and Mac" stickers in the wild.

The company pivoted.

Apple WOULD be dead if it stayed in the market MS was dominating, and in all honesty still is.

Apple became the music company. MS, despite trying with the zune, never was able to encroach on that territory. And honestly, nor was anyone else, because no one has Apples clout or advertising budget.

If you're losing a head on battle there's no shame in retreating and attacking a weak point.

Ol' Billy Boy saved Apple from bankruptcy because he knew that competition was good for the economy.
Capitalism wins again!

Because before the iPod, you pretty much just bought one gadget and used until it broke. Steve's insight was that people would be willing to throw out perfectly good gadgets every year in exchange for something slightly better under the Christmas tree. The current upgrade cycle on smartphones is insane.

Why did zune never take off though? apple barely had any money in the 90's while MS had unlimited

>Steve's insight was that people would be willing to throw out perfectly good gadgets every year

You sure it was his insight? Any source on this?

Apples advertising worked. I don't think there's an adult alive that doesn't know the silhouette ads. I honestly could not tell you what zunes ads looked like or if I even saw one.

>Join the social
Classic Microsoft trying to be hip and failing spectacularly.
They also made that XP theme which was probably more popular than the Zune.

What Good being rich when yer dead?

Gates and Jobs were friendly rivals and both helped each other out during tough economic points. Partly to prevent antimonopoly laws coming into effect and partly out of maintaining their friendly competition.

considering jobs is dead and gates in one of the richest and most respected philanthropists in the world, I doubt he loses much sleep over it

they made sure that Macs where the computers used in schools for graphics and video editing so they got a audience from there.Jobs where just a good sales person.

I was talking more about how their companies are doing. Apple is quite far ahead of MS desu

Microsoft is firmly embedded in every corporation in the world, and the entire planet would be fucked for years if not over a decade recovering while trying to replace them.
Apple is a normie meme brand that sells products solely on consumer whims.

People would switch over to a new OS. As for cloud they'd switch over Amazon. What else does microsoft make? Xbox?

Actually, with a healthy cash infusion from Microsoft, who wanted to avoid monopoly charges.
But keep circlejerking about Jobs, by all means.

What are these monopoly charges? Will the government hunt them down or something?

They already won those proceedings back in like 2000.

they targeted boomers and made them feel like they were artistic

those boomers then in turn got apple products for their millennial kids who used computers casually

every kid I knew that had a pc knew EVERYTHING there is to know about PCs and every kid I knew that had a mac only used it for chatting and keeping their family photos on it and maybe playing one or two games total

Anecdotal evidence

>Partly to prevent antimonopoly laws coming into effect
MS did their deal with Apple as a settlement for stealing Quicktime. It wasn't to prevent anything, and it wasn't a decision that was made out of foresight or good will, despite the marketing.

Exploiting sheeple and microsoft helping them out.
See .
It's like all the retards who circlejerk about Elon Musk. Here is something: Musk is a lucky moron. He got gibs from a lot of people/governments and somehow had his engineers land a rocket. Now he is in a megalomaniac spree trying to prove he can do whatever the fuck he wants because he is that good. It's like that one poor friend of yours who pretends to be rich. He is poor as balls, but as long as people believe he is rich, then that is what defines him. Just look up what he has done so far and you will see how much of a failure he is. Whatever he accomplished was, like Jobs, out of pure luck and by taking advantage of others.

Don't need to go very far to see that is true. That is pretty much the reason the entry line of MacBooks exist. If anyone really did anything with them, there'd be no entry line.

>somehow had his engineers land a rocket
Can we all sit back and reflect on the ridiculousness of this sentence?

It was a metaphor. Is the concept strange to you or you are just that dumb ?

>It was a metaphor.
It was literally not a metaphor. It was you directly suggesting that the man lucked into a rocket landing.

>How'd he do it?

Taste, and being the best businessman ever.

The not-Apple world was filled with soulless commodity shit driven by specs which quite frankly, people don't give a shit about. Your thing runs at 5 niggahertz? So what the fuck does that mean? Apple promoted what you can do with their shit; people can relate to that. Everyone else pushes meaningless numbers, except Samsung which is obsessed with comparing itself to Apple.

idiots

this.

His only talent was finding someone else's brilliant idea, stealing it, and then marketing it towards normies. His biggest example, iPhone.

Pretty much this. Trendies

He was a hippie who created a cult for gadgets and computers which looked "different". He basically banked on people's need for edgy alternatives. You always find that type of individual in a society.

He knew he had no chance to compete directly with the big guys, so he first worked on developing a cult following among the "misfits", "the artistic".

This approach didn't make apple products attractive to normies, because they were expensive and had no obvious advantages over mainstream products, except for design.

However, when they made the ipod, this recipe worked because ipods weren't as expensive as a computer, so anyone could afford getting one. Normies bought ipods to feel speshul, because until then apple products were considered luxury gadgets.

Once he captured normies' attention, Jobs ripped off Palm's best products, slapped a couple of "innovashuns" on top of it (multitouch etc) and came up with the iphone. Normies were ecstatic, finally they could own that ultimate gadget that they could use for any purpose and show it off as a sign of lavish and cool lifestyle.

Tldr, Jobs found a way to bank on normies' vanity and desire to show off with a multipurpose gadget that isn't the best at anything, but it's good enough for them.

literally the only MS product my company uses is MS Word. No Excel, no Skype, no Windows.

I wish they made the mac OS available for everybody from the get go. Of course, it ain't never happening.

He's Arab. Arabs will scam you to make money.

> out of pure luck and by taking advantage of others.
Taking advantage of people to rise up is pretty much the only way you get in the top 1%.

If Apple didnt bring steve back we would have had NextStep and it would be a pretty nice unix like unlike nomieshit MacOS

iPods are reparable as fuck. Even more than the latest Microsoft surface.

>all the Parker’s in this thread with their curryholes all fired up because Apple is more successful than their fanboy companies and actually has a white man at the helm rather than a smelly Indian.

Ipods, ITunes, App Store

Instead of relying only on revenue generated by selling devices (and software), Apple started generating revenues from selling content to the users (music, apps etc). The rest is history.

Because most people using gadgets and PCs back then were not fashion conscious. PCs were large beige boxes and MP3 players were also usually awful looking. He basically brought elegant design and fashion into computing. Say what you like but computing in the 90s despite being /comfy/ af was just visually very unappealing. The gamer shit was for kids and everything was business tier shit, which boiled down to nerds and engineers buying that shit.
>b-b-but user normies used computers too
no, no they really didn't. as much as people might be loathe to admit it, there was nothing vaguely sexy or interesting in computing during the 90s to about 2004/5
>apple had a following
no they had a cult that for some reason thought a closed system was the way forward and that applications were 'works of art'. their desktop operating system is to this day one of the least intuitive pieces of shit and is basically it's own special snowflake system that only Mac users seem to grasp.

I had a friend recently who's Mac broke, and he asked what he should go for in regards to privacy. Despite looking at other things he still went with a $1800 Macbook thing. I sat there messing with the terminal for a while just showing him neat stuff like pipes and rain, but found the whole process of simply finding an application on the system horribly difficult. Then struggled with adding a shortcut to the dockbar, then he struggled for 20 minutes to remove the shortcut I accidentally placed on the desktop and put in the dockbar.

He is one of the least productive people I know. But he believes that Mac are basically the pinnacle of design which to him mitigates the cost of the device and the cost of applications he constantly is subscribed to essentially.

The greatest trick Steve Jobs ever played was convincing the pseudo intellectual artist types that wanted to give the finger to the IBMs of this world that Apple was the pinnacle of anything.

vast number of legacy clients in education

partnership with ibm to get revenge for os/2 being a commercial failure

strategic killer-app (photoshop) hacks on powerpc

vast artsy ad campaign

I get the feeling you were probably still shitting in diapers when MP3 players were actually relevant, all you know is smartphones and pushing faggy bullshit narratives about brands you don’t like.

>How'd it become a 900 billion dollar company?
The iPod and later the iPhone.

>I’m a reddit spacing toddler who doesn’t even understand basic concepts like drag-and-drop and literacy: the post
I hope nobody is dumb enough to take you seriously.

> stealing/refining concepts invented elsewhere to market them towards normies. For example, MP3 players and music jukebox software, smart phones, and tablet computers.

> stealing

This whole post gave me 2 fedoras. Apple is popular because the alternatives are unrefined slop for plebs. Simple.

>but found the whole process of simply finding an application on the system horribly difficult. Then struggled with adding a shortcut to the dockbar
Why do you seem proud of the fact that you’re so stupid that you can’t even wrap your head around fundamental GUI concepts that have existed for over thirty years? Did you spend 10 minutes trying to figure out how to use a mouse, too? Or did you spend most of that time trying to figure out where the start menu was?

I still think the switch to UNIX, and the switch to x86 were instrumental to Mac OS's survival. the fact Microsoft shot itself in the foot with Vista then 8 kind of helped too (once I can understand, but TWICE??)

ie on OS X was pretty comfy, as was safari on windows. too bad they axed both. (sadly I can't say the same about quicktime for windows!!) Office for the Mac was breddy gud too.

the iPhone concept and iOS are strokes of genius of their own, like wonders out of nowhere.
it all comes down to the vision

he realised something autists here refuse to understand until this day, that 99% of the people want devices that are simple to use.

so he mad an mp3 player that is very simple and has no features besides playing mp3, then he made a phone with a multi-touchscreen.

the end

They invented the iPod, the rest is history.

RIP
Commodore & Atari Computers

F for the fallen

vista = 7 tho

Because Microsoft's marketing dept a shit

>retardation: the post

Technology is our servant. It is not a test and its not a battle. There's no reason why people shouldn't try to make things simple and intuitive. In the future we'll be swiping at holograms and shit and doing things that look like magic in 200 years, it starts from today.

He was a good executive. He knew how to capitalize on emerging industries and make them his own.