Does anyone here understand PCBs? This fucking thing cost me 100 dollars and it works like voodoo magic...

Does anyone here understand PCBs? This fucking thing cost me 100 dollars and it works like voodoo magic, and I want to know how it really works.

Other urls found in this thread:

hobby-electronics.info/en/projects/8-video/14-macrovision-killer
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Aha, yeah. There's the flux capacitor and the ZPM.
Hmhm, very nice.

what does it do?

It's a Macrovision/Signal scrubber so you can record copy protected media onto pretty much whatever. Capture device, DVD Recorder, etc. Archiving tapes and obsolete formats is my hobby, and this thing is practically a god send.

>$100
if you dont buy in bulk, theres about $10-15 worth of components there.

>It's a Macrovision/Signal scrubber
cut wire 13.

>theres about $10-15 worth of components there.

Such as?

Some chips, solder, and resistors dude

everything all together. the entire thing is just a few bucks. the mcu is $3 on ebay.
thats just how everything is now, high markup on everything

I was kinda thinking so. Really I just opened it to see if it was just cheap parts slapped together that any schmo could assemble.

pulled this from youtube:

>all it did was allow the signal through from input to output until it detected the start of the vertical blanking pulse (the Macrovision pulse that fucked with the recorder's automatic gain control), then it would switch the output to deliver its own, clean blanking pulse for the correct amount of time before switching back to the input signal right at the end of the vertical blanking pulse.

So, basically it's useless if you would be using a computer instead?

yes

It'd be nice to know what the fuck it is first, user.
Power, two ethernet, and two RCA makes me think it's pumping eth over some old cable.
Ah, xdimax, copy protection stripper.
Basically it's got a key on it that talks to the DVD player or whatever, the key only authorised TV's are supposed to have. So it sends the player the key, the player thinks everything's cool, and sends through the video.
Quite a complex board for what it is, unless it also does video for all that composite stuff, in which case lots of analog fuckery there.

Most recording device look like trash no matter what you use, and some garbage it up even further because believe it or not, they also detect that fucking Macrovision signal too. Space is also a massive issue too because you'd rather use a 4.7GB DVD rather than a 10GB+ raw .AVI rip. It's better to just use technology that doesn't hook up to a computer at all. Unless you have one of those old obsolete shitty ass Desktop Linear Editors or something.

That makes enough sense for a brainlet like me. Thanks user

> Macrovision
signal on the video that messes up the agc circuitry in vcrs. has no effect on devices that don't have the circuitry.

>It's better to just use technology that doesn't hook up to a computer at all.
...or you know, just use a laptop and no extra technology at all.

Whoa. Neat.

DMCA sent :)

Just googled that shit, that's pretty neat.

From what I can see, there's a voltage regulator, two simple logic ICs, a reset chip, an 8-bit AVR, and a video amplifier.

All simple and cheap.
Nothing fancy like a powerful FPGA or something anywhere.

This explains how a Macrovision scrubber works and how to build one yourself:
hobby-electronics.info/en/projects/8-video/14-macrovision-killer