So, how well does my modestly overclocked R9 390 hold up these days?

So, how well does my modestly overclocked R9 390 hold up these days?

>pic related

Just fine for everything 1080p. Maybe have to drop a couple settings to get 60 FPS, especially those Nvidia Gameworks stuff. Everything else, it eats it up at Ultra settings just fine. It can probably do most titles at 1440p High settings too.

Great card for its age, to be honest. It's former competition (970) is pretty much dead in the water by now, while the 390 keeps on trucking.

Thanks! I can't really find a reason to upgrade at all, it just does everything so well. Hopefully it'll last a year or two longer.

If it's old and getting hot these days, consider changing the thermal paste on it. Mine was already out of warranty, I watched a couple vids on how to open, clean and repaste the card, it was fairly easy. Gave it a good cleanup (it was dusty as fuck), new paste, and temps dropped over 10ºC in high loads, so it was very worth it.
Don't bother if it's never going over 80ºC. These cards get pretty hot, they use a lot of power. 80ºC isn't too bad, higher than that and you should consider cleaning it.

Why are you asking other people how you should feel about your graphics card? You do not need other people's opinions for computer hardware.
>Does my hardware do what I need it to do at a performance I am happy with?
>Does my hardware suffer any major problems like crashes, overheating, artefacts, etc?
There are really no other reasons to upgrade. Unless you are a slick dealer and can upgrade for a low cost - like perhaps selling your card and getting a Radeon 580 for longer driver support, lower power draw, etc.

did some googling around and it's not even 1fps faster than a similarly overclocked 970. it seems fine wine was a lie

It's a piece of shit.

but muh 3.5gb meme

I had an R9 290X xfire at launch. I bought a 980ti in their place and sold the set to 2 of my buddies. Haven't heard any problem from either of them about bad performance and the 290X only has 4GB vram.. I mean really the 290/390X cards are just more power hungry RX570/580 cards in terms of performance.

Both were powercolor PCS+ models. Real nice cards

i'm still waiting to this day for any evidence whatsoever of this actually causing games to stop working or grind to a crawl as some people claimed would happen when you go over the 3.5gb threshold. i've just come to the conclusion that it was never a problem and most people claiming it was were asshurt people who ended up buying something like pic related which was a well documented housefire or just trolls wanting to start a flamewar.

why do you say that? do you own one?

theres already plenty of evidence m8

show me some.
fyi i've already seen the salazar video and that's not what i'm talking about.

You retarded or something? The card was marketed for 4GB and had 3.5GB, that's what pisses everyone of.

You don't need specific evidence for it happening with this card, you research what happens when your GPU lacks VRAM and you'll realize how retarded you are.

like i said, show me some evidence that it specifically affects this card. don't @ me if you can't because you sound to asshurt right now.

Not the guy arguing with you, but you're a fucking idiot, google it, YouTube it, the 3.5 vRAM limit creates horrrrrrible frame times, and causes stutters when the world has to load off the slow bit of the remaining .5 vRAM.

like i said, show me.
i've been waiting 3 years for this day so i hope you provide what i've been waiting for

you can get around 800 h/s on cryptonight at around 200 watts

holding up pretty well. especially at 1440p budget gaming thanks to its 8gb of vram. pretty much on par to a 480 and comes close to the 580. just uses a fuck ton of power. wipes the floor with the shitty 970 at 1440p and 1080p games that are vram limited. like pubg and indie games like space engineers.

every game that came out for a while had to have nvidia hard lock the settings lower, or fuck with the game in some way to get it under 3.5, then after shit was out, they made a universal patch that should load the 500mb with useless shit so it's never used, some games still get passed that, gta5 with its grass was one of them, and they need to patch it per game in those cases.

look up day 1 benches and you will find quite a few of them that show a ram issue.

you are relying on nvidia updating an old gpu constantly to not see it, let's tell you the story of the halo wars 2 beta and what happened when drivers were out of nvidias hands

every game fell into where you expect them to fall performance wise but the 700 line, especially the 780ti
the 780ti that in some games, fallout 4, would perform like a 960 was above a 980.

A very clear case of nvidia fucking with drivers

why do they not do it with the 970?
the 970 had what, a 5-15% of the entire gpu market at a time? I mean a sub% gpu like the 780ti kicks a shit storm whenever its perceived to be fucked with, what would happen when they do it to a gpu people actually use? at some point they will, the question is when?

so where's the evidence? i don't care about the things you're making up. i want solid proof either video or other