VeraCrypt is kill. Websites is also kill. Now what?

VeraCrypt is kill. Websites is also kill. Now what?

Other urls found in this thread:

dyne.org/software/tomb/
idrix.fr/
veracrypt.fr/
veracrypt.codeplex.com/
github.com/t-d-k/LibreCrypt
grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt.htm
sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/discussion/general/thread/c24da0a4/
github.com/veracrypt/VeraCrypt/releases
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Install Gentoo

Install TempleOS

>VeraCrypt is kill
wat

Fucking lazy, why did they end it? Just like the Jews behind truecrypt

fake news

We tomb now?
dyne.org/software/tomb/

Its not, check the site. The project moved to read only on the 27th and the new site doesn't even work. Not sure if its safe to keep using vera now.

idrix.fr/
veracrypt.fr/

bump

>This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go veracrypt.fr/
>This site can’t be reached

>Tomb works only on GNU/Linux systems.
Might as well throw that one in the garbage. Useless.

>only on GNU/Linux systems
>Useless

What now? Is it best to keep using the latest version and just hope they manage to learn some basic HTML so we can continue getting updates? If no further updates are released then sooner or later a vulnerability will be found within veracrypt and nothing will be done to patch it.

It worked a week ago so hopefully it will come back

Install KeepAssXC

no sane person uses linux, everyone uses windows
there are better tools for encryption on linux anyways

apologies for poor english

when were you when veracrypt dies

i was sat at home mounting hidden volumes when francois ring

'veracrypt is die'

'no'

and you??????????

>no sane person uses linux, everyone uses windows
(You)

I agree that KeePassXC is the best edition. But what does this have to do with Veracrypt?

Anyway, Veracrypt 1.21 can still be downloaded from CodePlex: veracrypt.codeplex.com/

Alternatively, LibreCrypt has support for LUKS on Windows, so there really is not need for panic: github.com/t-d-k/LibreCrypt

Unironically this. Don't use Windows to manage confidential data.

It better not be dead, it's the best thing ever.

Calm your manboobs. I use windows because of my job. I also have looxin at home for fun. This thread is about VeraCrypt, not your ricefest autism or winfaggotry.

fuck off retard

fully encrypted hdd with windows is good enough for me

Wait. Why is veracrypt dead? What happened? Were there major security flaws discovered or something?

Nope, the developers are just cretinous.

>Cretinous
How so? Did they start demanding money or something? I don't follow all the insurance and outs of various software teams.

Regardless, I have the latest version of Veracrypt. I assume it's safe to continue using it?

you can still download 1.21 from source forge including the sig and checksum for verification(which nobody seems to do lol)

I'm not sure how CodePlex going read only, makes VeraCrypt dead. Besides it's just temporary.Are you all retarded?!

I don't follow them either, I just know they have quit development without reason

I'm hoping it's this. I use windows much more than Linux and it's so much more convenient being able to move an encrypted container around without having to worry if the OS is able to open it. Like with the various Linux only encryption tools.
Odd. Well let's hope they give their code to another competent team to carry the torch then.

Where exactly did you read that??

Where exactly did I read what?

peer reviewed citation(s) needed

>mfw I go to veracrypt.fr (their new website since CodePlex was kill by Microsoft) and it doesn't load

I still use truecrypt. What do you guys keep that you need to keep so secret?

t. I don't lock my door when I leave my house because I have nothing to hide

Nice try CIA nigger

7.1a has never been shown to be compromised

7.1b is a whole different story

t. you're a faggot

kill yourself you identifiable piece of shit

fucking snowflake

>IMPLYING CIANIGGERS CANT GET IN EVERY ENCRYPTION
KEK

LITERALLY THIS
t. DOESNT LOCK DOOR

ALSO HDD FAILURES ARE A PAIN IN THE ASS TO RECOVER IF ENCRYPTED

Where exactly did you learn that? As far as I know there is no official communication.

7.1a is what Veracrypt is based on. Except Veracrypt strengthened up some weaknesses 7.1a had.
For me it's more just wanting to stay current. I have no content any 3 letter agency would be interested in. Why use an outdated free option if there's another better one that's also free?
I'm still confused. Learn what? Are you referring to my comment of "passing the torch"? Because if you are, that's not fact. I said hopefully they do if the original devs are leaving the project.

yeah where did you read it?

>Admits he's insane

grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt.htm

Why are so many people asking the same question? Suspicion intensifies

Oh shit son. I didn't truecrypt was still actively being audited/updated. Maybe time to leave Veracrypt and go back to truecrypt?
Just being idiots

I would stick with vera if they get their shit together and start releasing updates, if they stay silent then perhaps truecrypt would be best.

bump

Yes and Truecrypt is still the most powerful encryption software around.

The conspiracy is that the creators were forced to release the final version in order to scare people away from using the software because the government agencies had a hard time breaking the thing.

Well has a compelling argument. I'll probably switch back to truecrypt for the time being until the Vera Dev team speaks up. Also reading the site and audit, it seems that Truecrypt is the only encryption software to be fully audited, and Amazon uses it. Now if those 2 are really true, then Truecrypt is looking to be the best choice.

Didn't look that far into it, I guess you are right. Good job I haven't gotten around to creating volumes yet. Best of luck user

>Alternatively, LibreCrypt
>Latest commit over 1 year ago

That's not how it works. Windows can exfil data by default, encrypted or not.

I still don't understand why can't you keep using the last version of VeraCrypt. Besides we are making assumptions based on nothing.

You too. I wonder how long it will take my 1700X to create an encrypted container that completely fills my 500GB drive.

How do you guys make backups of your encrypted containers? Just copy and paste it elsewhere? Incremental backup tools like the standard one in windows?

They probably just forgot to pay their bill or something or the server crashed. They better not have let it die on purpose.

This.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

Latest beta was released just this month
sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/discussion/general/thread/c24da0a4/

Quick relaterade question. Is it possible to decrypt a veracrypt encrypted volume with other software?

Select the "Automatic partitioning with an encrypted LVM" in the Debian installer.

LUKS/encrFS

github.com/veracrypt/VeraCrypt/releases
What the fuck are you on?

>Debian
>apt

Veracrypt is based heavily on Truecrypt. You can open Truecrypt containers with Vera without any changes or even convert your Truecrypt containers to Vera version.

I don't know however if Truecrypt can open containers made with Vera.

Oh and I forgot to mention. When creating the container or volume, you can have the option selected to only allow Linux systems to open the container.

So it's not kill after all? Great news!

Okay, so when the police try to crack encrypted things they have to first find the software that the encryption was made with?
So it isn't possible to just put the HDD into any (decent) decryption software and enter the password?

That's a bit scary actually, what if you loose the software and it have gone away (like, but more permanent than, vera now), are you just fucked then?

Well it's really easy to make a backup of the .exe for the program. And you'd better believe the police or 3 letter agency has backups. Not to mention access to tools we don't even know about.

If they have your password anyway, you're not safe. Period. But if you're asking if someone can just plug away at your encrypted volume and just guess your password, the no. If your password is even remotely secure, brute forcing your password would take forever. It's so much easier to just brut(ally) beat you into giving up the password.

1st headers of HDD will show that is encrypted using VS or TC. You can't remove that.

But you can modify boot menu to show text, input password or black screen using VC.

The only reason people hate apt on Sup Forums is because this board loves shit that doesn't work.

>this board loves shit that doesn't work
But we hate apt.

I'm not worrying about the police/others decrypting it. I'm worrying about loosing the encryption software and not being able to decrypt it.

But you still need the software to decrypt it, right? See above.

>That's a bit scary actually, what if you loose the software and it have gone away (like, but more permanent than, vera now), are you just fucked then?
Cryptsetup (standard in any distro) fully support vera, so that won't be an issue.

Also the header determines what it was made with e.g. LUKS header, Vera or TC.

For example with cryptsetup you can create a direct DM-crypt device that is headerless

The plus of headerless is:
>Disks looks the same as if it was overwritten with random data
>Unknown attack vector because the cipher is not shown.
>Tampering through predictable weak RNG like from Intel does not affect it

Downside
- DM-crypt within crypotsetup only uses 1 round of hash
- password cannot be changed
- weak passwords can be more easily be brute forced

Also no GUI, I hate all that command line shit

It was doomed from the start, everyone and their grandma knew it was a honeypot bullshit.
Truecrypt never had critical vulnerabilities when audited while Vera had several, they just threw the towel when this came up.

>while Vera had several
sauce?

GOOGLE YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKER, THEY JUST DID AN AUDIT ON VERACRYPT

You can use Gnome disk utility or zulucrypt

>Cryptsetup (standard in any distro) fully support vera, so that won't be an issue.
Okay, that's nice to hear. Does it work even if I did the encryption on Windows though?

>- DM-crypt within crypotsetup only uses 1 round of hash
I believe there's an option for setting the number of rounds.

>I believe there's an option for setting the number of rounds.
oh that must be a new feature then, ty for the info

yes

Okay, thanks.

I'm unfamiliar with both, I was hoping to just install truecrypt on a Linux distribution and create a hidden container within a visible one so although the headers will give away that its encrypted I can still keep things hidden. All I have worth hiding is my wallets key files and my bank details but I still wouldn't want them to be found by someone who could steal my coins or empty my current account. Would the hidden setup be enough?

So apart from Vera, what to use for the full hdd encryption on Linux?

it's not because I've been using for a few years, i also heard some red hat devs talking about luks 2 and the possibility of changing passwords as well but i think it's very far from release still.

>crypto goes bad just because it is a little old
Dumbass.

the one in the installer

There's the gay inbuilt encryption

Is the default one really safe? At least to the degree same as the Vera?

why the fuck would it be in there if it didnt work? it's not like microsoft where they give you trash and hope youre dumb enough to pay for it.

>website goes down for a few hours
>OMG THE PROJECT'S DEAD ABANDON ALL HOPE AND DELETE YOUR CP NOW NOW NOW COMPROMISED COMPROMISED COMPROMISED

This board has no right to sneer at Sup Forums.

kek

Not to spread panic, but it is a few days now.

I'm asking if there were some audits in the past.

>Oh shit son. I didn't truecrypt was still actively being audited/updated. Maybe time to leave Veracrypt and go back to truecrypt?

One (1) month of free queries to the NSA database has been added to your CIA file.

/NSA CS TEAM

does it encrypt the whole drive or just the home folder or some shit? Can I place an item on the desktop and it would be crypto?

i think loonix encryption works only for home folder or linux installation but not for the entire drive. maybe i'm wrong.

Pretty much this. I don’t understand the outrage over this. And if it’s because of something like “if they can’t make a working site, how could they make a good software?”, I highly doubt the person/people in charge of the site and webserver are the same people who are the programmers.
All these Truecryptfags remind me of those old people still clinging to Windows XP and shit.

Difference being tons of vulnerabilities were discovered for XP that will not get patched anymore.

TC7.1a is still perfectly fine. Yes, it has bugs, because no program is perfect. TC's bugs shouldn't impact you if you use proper OPSEC.