Apple is a greedy company that takes advantage of its custo-

Apple is a greedy company that takes advantage of its custo-

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uXFxPN7Sqxo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Apple says in its letter that batteries are “consumable components,” and is offering anyone with an iPhone 6 or later a battery replacement for $29 starting in late January through December 2018 — a discount of $50 from the usual replacement cost.

mers

/thread

Pretty simple move :

Offering these batteries is less expensive that what bad reputation would cost them.

Isn't the software the problem not the battery? I remember an article that said Apple is intentionally slowing down the iPhones as to conserve battery life.

>for $29
kek

>what is the fastest way to clean inventory?
limit battery performance via software and sell batteries

>non-replacable batteries

>Faulty design
>Not replaced for free

>Apple fucked up
>Still charges you for it

>Slowing down the iPhone is a ""feature""

>use any phone in the universe
>if the battery degrades you have to get a new one
>it costs money
>woo I can't believe you have to pay if you want to change the battery of a 3 years old iphone

It's a safety feature, once you replace the battery the clock goes up again

>Buy any other major brand available
>Has a design flaw that fucks your shit up
>Free replacement or full refund
It's idiots like you keeping Apple in business

where is the design flaw exactly?

>use phone for three years
>battery is still fine
>doesn't run slow
Am I doing something wrong?

t.
Aplel cuck

you forgot the ****

*will only apply to iphone6 or newer (ie 2 year old phone)
*will only be valid until december 31st
*not fixing the slow down problem
*not providing anything to the customers they wronged

even fucking samsung gave all their note7 customers free upgrades to the S8 and offered them Note8s for $400.

That's right goys, because we're a company that cares so deeply about you, the customer, we're making a great personal sacrifice of replacing a defective-by-design component of your device for $29.

Aren't we so generous? Don't forget to like, share, reblog and tweet about how happy you are that you can now save $50 when your $1000 device that is designed to break, breaks.

How is it defective by design? it's not a note7

>customers
*sheep

>slash price by 2/3
>still make profit
yfsgt

You are aware that the """bug""" has hit recent phones like the iPhone 7 (released in late 2016), right?

Right?

>Apple slow down iPhone to avoid shitting the battery
>People complain
>They offer a $30 battery replacement
>Still slow down the iPhone
>You paid $30 to have a slower iPhone
Icucks anyone ?

>>Still slow down the iPhone
Nice reading comprehension

Citation required

If that's the case then clearly their software already detects the health of the batteries.

So then there's no reason why the device couldn't let the user know "hey bro your battery is fucked so things are gonna run slow". The only explanation for it is that they wanted people to think their device was faulty and they needed to buy a new one. Their "we would never intentionally degrade the user experience" is just a straight up lie.

Why are they forcing the devices to slow down?

Not that guy, but this whole thing literally came up this time because someone replaced the battery in his old iPhone and found it was faster afterwards.
It's not a "safety" feature as that user said, but Apple has claimed they throttle based on battery age to save power and thus maintain a half decent SoT.

No, the note7 was replaced free of charge

-mers, also lying in their apology?

Seriously if there's ever a reason to ditch Apple is precisely now. "We dindu nothing to no phones in the past and never will" jesus christ they should hang themselves real quick.

I know Sup Forums is full of commie faggots, but this time they have a point. Apple is full of anti free market and anti consumer practices so fuck them.

I'm capitalist as fuck and I think they still are scummy as shit.

>for a year

-mers.
why can't i just replace the battery my self? oh wait, i can't. i have to spend $29 to send it in.

The problem is that if you didn't slow down the phones they would only last 1/2 a day, which would make people think iphones have bad battery life

Decreasing the clock would make them slow AND have shit battery life. Nice way to get people to buy the latest piece of shit

When my Nexus 6P bootlooped, Google replaced it with a brand new Pixel XL for free.

What a fucking retarded goy. This is why no one takes journalists seriously, batteries have ALWAYS been consumer goods.

>5'11" vs 6'0" dot jpeg

Can't wait until Apple gets into the self driving car business and has a traffic fatality quotas to meet or something else equally absurd. If people want a Mac, build a Hackintosh. It's a fun project.

But will the performance resume once the battery is changed?

thats actually quite cheap if they do all the work needed for replacing and use a official battery. sure you can get a cheap chink bomb battery somewhere and install it yourself and risk destroying your glued device. also last time i checked the price of official samsung batteries they were priced almost same as this but that was when they were still removable so it might be different now.

>$29 battery replacements

So you're happy Apple will only ram their cock halfway up your ass instead of all the way in?

on the other brands you would just throw it in trash when it stops working because nothing is user replaceable or no parts are available if they are. the battery is a part that wears in use and no manufacturer will give your money back for that unless it was an actual defect battery that failed in few weeks or something.

Isn't it interesting with all this iPhone throttling stuff that when you look at it, the iPhone is actually WAY ahead of Android in terms of planned obsolescence?

>inb4 non-replacable batteries
if we're dealing with flagships, they alll have non replacable batteries

so let's make an objective comparison:

>iPhone
(soon) first party battery test which tells you if you need a replacement
>Android
No such app

Battery replacement
>iPhone
Take it into an apple store, pay $29 dollars, it's done in 30 minutes
>Android
Either send it to the manufacturer to be replaced, or no out of warranty first party replacement available. Without your phone for several days in many cases. The S7 costs $73 to replace the battery with samsung (the S8 presumably more), the Pixel 2 costs $80 with a third party, for a couple of examples. Apple's service is cheaper and faster, and you get your phone back much quicker.

>Updates
iPhone receives them for 4+ years, android only for 2.

Prove me wrong.

Yeah, unlike based Samsung, OnePlus and Google who will replace your battery for free.

Oh wait, no they fucking wont and replacing those will cost $80+, and you have to mail it off to them and be without a phone for a week vs just go into the apple store for 30 minutes

I'd rather order a battery for $15 and replace it myself in 5 minutes, at home.

nobody ever gets a new battery because the phone slows down and you get a new phone before it goes bad
the aren't speeding old phones back to normal
also there's no promise from apple not to throttle the 8 or even the x in the future

this is a non-solution meant to quell the lawyers
but it won't

>I'd rather order a battery for $15 and replace it myself in 5 minutes at home

That's great if you have an old phone with a removable, cheap battery but if you want a flagship phone that is not an option.

The battery on the S8 alone will cost you 30$ to buy and replacing it is not exactly easy on any android phone.

Read my post again:

>if we're dealing with flagships

>nobody ever gets a new battery because the phone slows down and you get a new phone before it goes bad

People can choose to do so if they wish. Apple makes it very easy, unlike android manufacturers.

>the aren't speeding old phones back to normal

Yes they are. The throttling is directly related to battery quality. A simple google search will reveal many examples of people replacing their batteries and getting their phones performance back to normal.

>also there's no promise from apple not to throttle the 8 or even the x in the future

They will continue to throttle phones with degraded batteries to avoid random shutdowns when performing demanding tasks. As with older phones, this can be solved by replacing the battery.

If that was Samsung they'd replace the entire phone for free. Seems like Apple is still spending more on shills than on actual damage control.

>Artificially slow down phones.
>Oy Vey you are discovered!
>Damage control: pretend it has something to do with the battery.
>iTards actually believe your bullshit??? WTF!
>Go all in and make them pay $29 for a battery replacement they don't need.

lol Apple you so funny.

>The throttling is directly related to battery quality
no
apple stated that they have slowed down their old phones through firmware to prevent battery failure
until this is undone the new battery is pointless

You're an idiot and don't know what you're talking about.

you're a shill for apple and as such your insults begin where your arguments end

Only took them 3 fucking lawsuits to give a shit discount for 12 months

This is supposed to be Sup Forums yet here we have normie tier levels of stupidity.

This IS Samsung too. Every smartphone with a rechargeable battery experiences battery degradation and the resulting problems from that, either

a) reduced battery life and random shutdowns when performing demanding tasks
b)throttling to solve the above

Solving this issue requires a battery replacement, and as I outline here:
getting the battery replaced is quicker, easier and cheaper on the iPhone compared to android flagships.

Great, now they can literally TELL people to go and buy a new battery.

So after December 2018, nobody cares?

>We will discount you on the assfucking you're involuntarily receiving so you don't switch to Android
Um...no, sweetie

Holy fucking shit you are stupid. Just google "geekbench increase battery replacement iPhone" and see as many examples as you like of people replacing their battery and getting the same results as before.

>shill for apple

So providing accurate information, yet spewing bullshit while praising samsung like isn't? idiot.

See:

>you get raped
>you get raped AND free lube!
Wow!

the people that do care wont have an iphone anymore

Why does Sup Forums have such foaming-at-the-mouth apple supporters?

Sup Forums always has shills. It had them, has them now and will have them in the future. If it's not the lumia, it's the iphone. This generation of kids is ultimately retarded, so the shill posts climb in quality down too.

The only foaming at the mouth supporters here are posts like this:

Implying that A), Samsung doesn't have the same problem as iPhones (they do) and B) Samsung solves that problem for customers for free (actually, it costs about 4 times as much)

>shills getting mad at other shills
You're aware you're still advocating your company's failure, right? You're aware it's only happening to reduce the damage from the lawsuits, right?

my phone doesn't throttle
2 batteries dead so far but never a drop in performance
maybe I want to push my phone till it smokes
maybe I would rather my phone perform than have it last
apple makes the choice for you and doesn't give you the freedom to ride a phone till the wheels fall off and that makes it an inferior product

So instead of making money on the battery change they're breaking even.

I don't see why they'd stop after a year.

I just bought a 6s+ like a month ago, and won't need the battery replacement till after that period.
Why would they stop it at the end of the year?

for the record I only bought the 6s+ because my 5 got slower and slower doing normal everyday ios stuff, and the battery life was really bad. If a battery swap would have fixed both of those things I would have much preferred to swap the battery than buy a new device
I'm pretty sure they were doing this same software throttling shit to the iphone 5 but for some reason its not available for cheap battery replacement

frankly I'm kind of pissed, i was going to replace the battery and deal with the slow software but it was just getting so bad. even the keyboard app built into ios was lagging like a mufker

>my phone doesn't throttle
>2 batteries dead so far but never a drop in performance

So your phone doesn't throttle. Instead the battery dies. Would I rather have a throttled phone or a dead phone. Hmm...

Actually I would rather have neither. I would rather replace my battery when the time comes. And doing that is a lot easier, cheaper and quicker with an iPhone than it would be if I had a Samsung S8, a OnePlus or a Pixel.

I choose the dead battery any day but apple doesn't allow it's consumers choices

A year passed, goy, it's time to get a new battery! See, we even made a convenient app for you!

If they know the part with the shortest life expectancy, they really should make it modular.

I remember back in the day when all phones other than iphones could easily have their backplates popped off and batteries swapped on the fly. seems like the obvious solution
iphone fanboys are still gonna buy a new iphone every few years, but they'd win over a lot of stingy and frugal customers if they sold a modular battery phone as a "feature"

>I would rather replace my battery when the time comes
but you don't get that choice because apple is gonna throttle your shit to protect your precious battery anyway

>I choose the dead battery

So you choose a phone that doesn't turn on over a phone that runs a bit slower? How interesting. Did you get a lobotomy recently?

>but you don't get that choice

Err, yes you do? you can replace the battery for $29 or free if its under warranty/apple care

>make phones obsolete by throttling them
>make working batteries obsolete by showing a notification and throttling
Where's the end to this jewery.

seriously if I could just swap the battery back on my phone, i would give a rats ass about protecting the battery. I'd be running that sucker dry all the time, and have a second one on constant charge.
I didn't give a fuck about the quality of the lithium in my cells until they were permanently sealed inside of my expensive devices.

Which is more obsolete, a throttled phone or a phone with a dead/dying battery that randomly shuts off when performing demanding tasks?

it's just a new battery
yes I would rather my phone die so I know to go fix it than have it slow down and leave me wondering why
>it's better to burn out than fade away
youtube.com/watch?v=uXFxPN7Sqxo

you can replace the battery but you can't stop apple from slowing the phone and just let the battery fuck itself if you feel like it
why would you want to do that?
who cares?
freedom isn't about need

The first one, because the second one is clearly malfunctioning and should be repaired.

>(((((((BATERY ISSUES))))))))

JEWED AGAIN RETARDS
YOU DON'T FUCKING GET IT

APLEL GOT CAUGHT WITH THEIR BUNGHOLE WIDE OPEN FOR SLOWING THEIR SHITTY PHONES TO PUSH SALES.

>TFW APPLE IS RIGHT EVEN WHEN THEY"RE WRONG
>TFW APPLEKEKS SPREADING THEIR ASSCHEECKS YET AGAIN

When my 5x bootlooped, they already realized they had fucked up thousands of phones so they locked their doors and windows and didn't offer anything

Yeah like the Nexus and LG bootlooping right?

the problem is nobody knew about this shit until a week or two ago, it was all just speculation.

your phone got slower and your battery life got worse, and apple said that its because batteries have a fixed life expectancy, and software updates are getting heavier and more taxing on old hardware. then they would tell you they can replace the battery for $x, but you'll still have a slow ass phone. might as well just upgrade to a new model while you're here.

and thats pretty much what everybody did, battery replacements were expensive as frizz (and still are, $30?, its cheaper to have a car battery installed) and getting an expensive new battery for a slow ass older phone seems stupid.

they were deliberately swindling everybody into upgrading.
for the record when they throttle your shit for battery peaks, it doesn't magically make your battery life like new again. your phone is slower, and your battery life is still shitty, its just not shutting down unexpectedly.

How it should work is this:
your phone performs as it always has until your battery gets older, battery life gets worse, then it starts shutting down unexpectedly. you replace the battery, and the whole device performs like its brand new again.

Both are malfunctioning. Both should be repaired. But it's pretty obvious the one with the dead battery is a lot more obsolete than the one that still works, albeit slowly.

>yes I would rather my phone die so I know to go fix it
Pretty soon they will release a feature in iOS that tells you the exact state of your battery so you know to get it fixed.

>you can replace the battery but you can't stop apple from slowing the phone

Yes you can. Replace the battery and throttling ends.

>your phone performs as it always has until your battery gets older, battery life gets worse, then it starts shutting down unexpectedly. you replace the battery, and the whole device performs like its brand new again.

that's the most jewish option
>forced to pay for the battery replacement
>random shutdowns
versus
>dealing with a slow phone until it gets replaced

>the problem is nobody knew about this shit until a week or two ago, it was all just speculation.

True, that is a problem.

But now that it has become public, the solution is a lot better on the iPhone. As mentioned, soon there will be an OS feature that tells you when you need to replace your battery. And doing this is cheaper and easier on the iPhone compared to android flagships.

>Both are malfunctioning.
It's slow because it's old, goy, not because it's broken. Get a new iPhone today!

Search "Nexus 5x"
Then search "Nexus 5x Reddit"
And look at all the problem search results they hide

Fucking apple I can't believe it. Literally LMAO right now.
The problem are:
>You cannot change a battery and have the fittings and seal be as tight as before.
>Fucking glued down screens are going to break easier.
>apple's own batteries wouldn't cost them 29$

It's like you bought a car. Wheels got loose, and one fell of. Car manufacturer offered to sell you new wheels instead of actually fixing the reason why they went loose.

What a fucking joke, this is.

Was random shutdown a problem with iPhones? I never had one

>Pretty soon they will release a feature in iOS that tells you the exact state of your battery so you know to get it fixed.
doesn't address the core issue
phones tell you to charge them at 33% but I don't rush to plug it in
I want to push my shit to 2%not have it start failing at 33%of total battery life
I decide when it gets fixed not apple choking the CPU

>apple's own batteries wouldn't cost them 29$

Ordering a replacement battery for the Samsung S8 (that is, just buying the battery, not getting it installed) costs $30.

Replacing it costs upwards of 80$.

nope.
its not really a problem with android phones either

>temporary price drop

>offer cheap batteries
>apple fans shut up
>go back to charging more for battery repairs when they forget

Normies are discharging batteries to very low percentages and that's what kills them prematurely.

When have you seen normie screenshot with battery showing more than 20%.