/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Ask here any questions that don't need their own thread.
Check the wiki and use search engines to find if a solution to your problems already exists.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1514441031415.webm
skytech.lt/ax3u1600w8g11dd-ddr3-adata-xpg-v10-2x8gb-1600mhz-cl11-radiator-15v-p-214272.html
skytech.lt/bls8g4d26bfsb-crucial-ballistix-sport-8gb-ddr4-2666mhz-cl16-unbuffered-dimm-gray-p-366763.html
skytech.lt/aeropgsaero500bk-korpusas-psu-aerocool-aero500-black-atx-usb30-p-289438.html
skytech.lt/gtx-1060-gaming-msi-geforce-gtx-1060-gaming-6gb-gddr5-192-bit-p-319341.html#tabsnav-5
twitter.com/AnonBabble

latecomer to the whole ublock/Sup Forums not working thing. How do I fix it? The latest thing I was able to dig up was purging caches and updating filters, but Sup Forums still shows as a broken white text-site.

So I got Windows 7 on my computer but when I try to use Dazloader it says Unsupported Partition Table. What do?

Will you marry me Kongou?

You used a GPT install, you need to reinstall.
You have to use MBR.

I thought I hit MBR when I was in rufus

Do I have to reformat my flashdrive?
When I went to reinstall Windows 7 my computer said I had like 3 partitions on my harddrive

Do you have anything that matters in that HDD?
Did you remember to change your BIOS settings to CSM/Legacy?

Gparted or disk manager/diskpart

No, and no I didn't

Also do I need an internet connection to run Dazloader?

In Rufus, look for MBR for CSM/Legacy.
>Do i need internet for Daz Loader
No.

How do i know cost/efficiency for each computer part if i'm trying to build my own? I'd like to build something medium-high for about 1000 dollars.

pcpartpicker will tell you how much each part uses from idle to stress.

But how do i build the most efficient rig for the price?

Depends, efficient for what?
Also you might want to look into gold/platinum PSUs if you want something really efficient.

subnetting w/ packet tracer

I have like 9 workgroups with 14 hosts. With the +2 addresses (network & broadcast), last 4 bits or a subnet with 16 hosts would suit me, right? So I divide them into 16s with mask 255.255.255.240, assign IPs from x.x.x.1 to x.x.x.14 to the hosts. What do I assign as the IP of the eth interface on the router? NA and BA can't be used I think and if I assign any other, wouldn't they clash? should I divide them into subnets with 32 hosts (255.255.255.224)?

>efficient for what?
medium-high pc for mostly games.

i wanna lick her feet

Unless you go full AMD you will be paying $20-30 tops per year with a high end build.
A gaming PC will use 80-550w+- based on load.
Instead try to focus building a good build instead efficient.
Its not worth it.

Just avoid AMD GPUs and CPUs if you wanna efficiency.

Is this correct?

do amd cpus eat a lot more power?

Yes.

This flashing also causes hidden taskbar to reappear and block view of opened windows. How do I stop those notifications?

Yes, the GPUs too.
But they are cheap and work just fine.

>focus
Oh, i guess my wording was bad. I mean i'm looking for the best build based on my budged (approx 1000 dollars). On what i should put my emphasis on? As you know, i'm total beginner at this.

Should I go for a 1070 Ti or wait for the next serie ?

Oh then it is easy.
logicalincrements.com should give a idea of what parts use.

To rate your build, you could post it here too if you want.

Personally look for a I5-8600k, a good Z370 motherboard and a GTX 1060 6GB or GTX 1070.
Avoid ASRock motherboards and PNY SSDs, dont cheap out in your PSU, look for EVGA G series or Seasonic PSUs, avoid corsair PSUs.

Please fill in the blank for me. I have two stick of ddr 3 ram in my computer that should be running at 1333 mhz, but cpuz says they are 667 mhz. I don't understand why its running at half the speed.

You don't. If you don't want your taskbar to reappear on top of windows when something wants your attention, don't hide it.

And you could use PCpartpicker to make your build to see if everything is compatible and the cheapest price of every part.

667x2=1334MT/s
They are working fine.
>Why x2
DDR = Dual data rate.

I'm having monitor issues.

I just bought a 1080p 144hz Freesync monitor and replaced my previous 1080p 60hz monitor with it over DisplayPort. I also have 1280x1024 60hz and 1366x768 60hz monitors connected via active DVI-D to VGA adaptors.

If I run the main monitor at 60hz, no issues. At 120hz or 144hz, I can see thin vertical lines on grey/blue areas of the screen. I thought it might be a bandwidth issue, but turning off the other monitors does nothing and I've tried another Displayport cable to no avail. Any other suggestions before I RMA?

I guess, I'll have to deal with ONE application having shitty habit of notifying me of things of zero importance.

What's the deal with VR headsets right now? I want to buy one but I haven't been around the talk too much, is it worth buying now or is there a possibility of a new version coming soon?

Maybe you can set the application in question to simply not notify you.

That was my first idea but there is no such setting, I hoped there is a way to hack it through regedit or forbid it to use notification system.

A good amount of VR games are getting released so people are buying them.
New version of the headsets? not soon.
New headsets? yes but they are all low end.
New controllers? a fuckton of them.
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1514441031415.webm

Get an HTC Vive.
Occulus has tracking issues.
PSVR resolution is really low for VR and the tracking sucks too.

I got a s7 edge recently and I'm completely new to android, why am I getting old notifications on my lock screen? It's stuff I've already seen or dismissed in the past. Like every other week I'll get a notification I already got 2 months ago.

how to set up dual / tri monitor system

I've heard that the vive is the best. I've also heard that it's getting some new knuckle-controllers or something soon, is that worth waiting for?

Connect monitors to computer.

No since they are planned to be released as a standalone release first.
They will later introduced as Vive stock controllers but not soon.
And by not soon i mean 6 months or more.

>Personally look for a I5-8600k, a good Z370 motherboard and a GTX 1060 6GB or GTX 1070.
Everything seems so overwhelming. I'm afraid of buying wrong part. What could you recommend on hard disk and ram?

So when I boot do I go to boot override then UEFI OS?

thanks

ASUS Z370-A is a good motherboard.
RAM is RAM, as long its not a chink brand you never heard of they will work for years, 10 year old RAM still works as example.
For hard disk look for WD Blue or HGST.
A SSD will make things really fast if you think they are worth it, but they are expensive and outside load times and windows starting in 8-10 seconds it has no effect on game performance, if you want one look for 850 EVO.
For heatsink you can buy a 212 EVO or NH-U12S based in your budget, both are really good heatsink fans, NH-D15 if you wanna go overboard.
Case might be a personal choice but as long it is ATX it will be fine.

>RAM is RAM, as long its not a chink brand you never heard of they will work for years, 10 year old RAM still works as example.
Is it better to buy single cartage (1 x 16 ) as oppose to two or four ( 2 x 8 or 4 x 4 )?
>heatsink
Will i need to buy additional cables for everything?

lmao user you fucked up

you needed subnets with 32 hosts each

h-hello. i thought i'd come here because i know nothing about technology and you guys might now.
i am disabled. i recently received a card from social security (direct express) and i never used any cards or banks before. it is a prepaid debit card. do they look over your purchase history? i'm pretty paranoid over things like that. if so, is there other ways to bypassing that issue?

You are better buying 2x8GB.
>Why
Because this way Dual-Channel will work which is pretty much something that doubles your RAM speed.
Its activated when you have 2 or 4 ram slots used, but it wont when you have 1 or 3 RAM slots used.
>Will i need additional cables
No.
As long you dont buy a cheap case.

>cheap case
How cheap is cheap? I'm already beyond 1000 bucks.

Sub $30 case.
Most $50+ cases come with extra screws, zip ties, and other neat stuff that might come handy.

Could you use PCPartpicker to show me what have you selected so far?

>Could you use PCPartpicker to show me what have you selected so far?
I'm basically going with everything you've suggested so far. I guess i've only picked ADATA RAM which cost like 150 hundos for 2 x 8GB.

Could you post the link of which ADATA RAM?

I recently got a cheap laptop for light use and it came w/ windows 10 pre-installed. If I am currently building a PC that I will be looking to dual boot and I want to run ubuntu on my laptop, should I load windows 10 onto my PC and fully run ubuntu on my laptop (thus keeping me from needing to purchase windows for the pc build)?

Dont mind the language
skytech.lt/ax3u1600w8g11dd-ddr3-adata-xpg-v10-2x8gb-1600mhz-cl11-radiator-15v-p-214272.html

That is DDR3, you need DDR4 RAM.

My parted magic USB is booting straight into grub, and I have absolutely no clue what to do from there. How do I get it to boot into the Linux desktop?

So i guess these ones?
ADATA XPG Z1, DDR4 2x8GB, 2400Mhz, CL16, red

P.. Please user... I don't know what to do

My laptop's WiFi was really shit until I update the BIOS, now to seems better.
Would this still apply to Linux as well as Windows?

Yes.
Something like this will work too:
skytech.lt/bls8g4d26bfsb-crucial-ballistix-sport-8gb-ddr4-2666mhz-cl16-unbuffered-dimm-gray-p-366763.html

If it was a BIOS/Hardware problem like how HP fucked up their WLAN mPCIe slot in some laptops, yes.

Well my end rig costs about 1135 euro.
GPU - Asus Turbo GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 TURBO-GTX1060-6G
CPU - I5-8600k
Motherboard - ASUS prime z370-A
PSU - Seasonic s1211-5120 520w
Hard disk - WT Blue 3.5" 1 TB
Ram - Crucial Ballistrix Sport LT DDR 8 gb x 2
Case - skytech.lt/aeropgsaero500bk-korpusas-psu-aerocool-aero500-black-atx-usb30-p-289438.html
Heatsink - 212 EVO

What is the price of Seasonic S12II 620 BRONZE or SeaSonic M12II 620 over there?
520W will work but is not ideal at all.
Rule No.1 of building a PC, never cheap in your PSU since it will say how much years your PC will last.

>Seasonic S12II 620 BRONZE
65 euros
>SeaSonic M12II 620
75 euros?
Do you recommend picking 620 one?

So I'm and I'm still getting unsupported partition table

I deleted all 3 partitions and tried doing it again and it still gives me the error

rec me a music player?

Could you post the info of the green/yellow circle in the corner on Daz Loader?

I have a similar question, 1080 or an AMD equivalent for gaming and general purpose computing (might also do some machine learning)

Yes also another recommendation, change the GPU for another one.
"Blower" GPUs are known for being hot and really loud, we are talking about jet turbine loud.

foobar

My question:

What's the catch with Intel Optane tech?

There is no 1080 AMD equivalent.
Next generation will be announced in January.

Overpriced SSDs with bigger cache, thats it.

Do you mean click on it? Nothing happens when I click on it, It's just a green circle

Not click, but hover it.

So... Better wait before making any purchases ? Is there a chance for the 1000 series to drop ?

Oh sorry

>change the GPU for another one
Which one do you have in mind?
Maybe this one skytech.lt/gtx-1060-gaming-msi-geforce-gtx-1060-gaming-6gb-gddr5-192-bit-p-319341.html#tabsnav-5

Bumping. Anyone seen an issue like this? Monitor is AOC G2460PF.

>Is there a chance for the 1000 series to drop ?
No.
The only chance is that something fucked DRAM/DIMM factories so the prices fell and they started fighting for prices instead fixing prices like they have been doing for 1 year now.
But the 3 major companies are doing it at the same time.

Alright open Disk Management.
Right click>Properties>Volumes

In RedHat GNU/Linux (both enterprise and community) do you have to pay for it, or do you just pay for support?

Yes, this one is way better.

Is there a regex I can use in 4chanx to filter comments that reply to a gazillion people?

>Yes, this one is way better.
Thanks man for the effort. I guess the very last question would be - could you recommend something on monitors (something in 150 euro range)?

Asus VS239H-P?
Also, you might want to spend 10-15 Euro more getting a Corsair 200R.

Did you change your PC settings from UEFI to CSM/Legacy in BIOS?

What would justify buying 32 gigs of ram instead of staying at 16?

Alright, will do. I hope it'll play games on medium or high.

With that you can play games at Max settings for 2-3 years user.

Damn, that seems awesome. Thanks again for all your time.

And after those 2-3 years have passed and your GPU starts having trouble with some games just overclock it and it will be new again.
Just look for GTX 1060 6GB benchmarks.

test

How do I do that?
If it helps I have an Asus Rog bios

Does anyone know if an Amd 550x is compatible with the inspiron 3847 motherboard?

Advanced Mode>Boot>CSM

RX 550?
If so, it should the problem is the PSU and case.

Gotta run to work but I'll reply later thanks!

After fucking with it for 12 hours on and off I figured it was either not compatible or my psu. I bought a psu from Newegg thinking that was it. Thanks user

Could you post what computer you have and what PSU it used?

Also what PSU you bought?
It should work with any 400w+ PSU.