Old software you still use

Me, i like flashget 1.9.6. I think it's from the mid 2000's. Haven't found a single program that can do the same without any extra bullshit.

How about you?

Other urls found in this thread:

joejoesoft.com/vcms/97/
youtube.com/watch?v=HaF-nRS_CWM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I play some old games, but if you don't count that, I don't think I use anything more than a few years old. "I have to keep this ancient version because the new version added a bunch of bullshit" happens a lot less since I switched to Linux. It does still happen (See: Gnome) but it's not utterly fucking ubiquitous like it was in Windows-land.

Microsoft Office '97

Hiren’s Boot CD

linux

I always used good ol 1.6

Winamp 2.95

I have "burn to the brim" always ready to schedule backups

Goldwave. I've been using it for 20 years.

Flashget was the reason I learned to customize Windows installations to include it so I can always have it installed on evert computer I installed windows on. It was a miracle for dial up and isdn.

Office 07 for docx support with the least amount of BS, though 03 was better.
Windows xp for some VMs.

uTorrent 2.2.1
MS Office 2010
VisiPics

Brennig's/SlowView, every day since 1999

pic related

winamp

I used this sndh player since 2007 and it's still the best one around. my only flaw with it is that it's windows only and all the other sndh players with linux ports are in beta and sound off. luckily it works fine in wine after a bit of tweaking

forgot pic

I too like to whip the llama's ass.

WS_FTP 95

MSN Messenger 7.5

I booted this up recently for the nostalgia and the aesthetic

Windows XP in a VM, but not very often.

I still use limewire for torrents and shit.

I've uninstalled it last week :(
The fact that the Flashgot add-on doesn't work anymore with Firefox killed it for me.

if you are using old shit you are doing it wrong and should kill yourself for being a faggot. the fuck is wrong with all of you. git gud

Go with Waterfox or Palemoon

You have to be at least 18 to post here.

utorrent 2.2.1
visipics 1.3
format factory 2.96
PdaNet for Android
MS office 07
Windows Movie Maker 6 (copied from a vista installation) ironically the best version they made. Why they neutered it so bad in 7 like removing the editing timeline, I'll never know

I thought that network was shut down years ago?

>using outdated old shit for no real trucking reason when better shit exist
vulns and other security issues and shit should be more than enough reason not to, like I said this is Sup Forums. if you are using old shit, you are doing it wrong. Maybe stop being hipster faggots

You have to be atleast 18 to post

> utorrent 2.2.1
qBittorrent exists

> I thought that network was shut down years ago?
That's not how you ask a question brainlet.

i'm not that user, but qbit has it's own issues. Did a test on a few torrents that were stagnating on qbit, opened them utorrent 2,2,1 they dl'd fast as fuck.
Can't get magnets to open in utorrent though.

uTorrent 2.2.1 is, undoubtedly, the best torrent client ever. But in the age of 0-days there's almost no justification for that risk. Add another complication like private trackers that whitelist clients and it just becomes a bigger hassle.

I use qBittorrent now and it has its issues, but it's also the best uTorrent replacement I've found.

>Transmission is, undoubtedly, the best torrent client ever

Massive nostalgia...

thought i was the only user of that

How come some software from 90's still run on a modern OS? I use a tool which shows 1997 as it's build date and it actually loads/runs faster than many of the new ones available that I've tried

Transmission seems to be a good one as well.

>Windows Movie Maker 6 (copied from a vista installation) ironically the best version they made. Why they neutered it so bad in 7 like removing the editing timeline, I'll never know
Yea, I've wondered that as well, whenever I ever wanted to edit a video and opened WMM to try it out, there was none of that.

I use qbittorent, I prefer Tixati though, Simple interface and it does it's job and is fast.

A lot of it has to do with a lot of software being written in x86 assembly, or something other low-level, and the fact that, despite all of its faults, Microsoft actually does a pretty good job with backwards compatibility. Like how office 97 works on Windows 10 out of the box. If you look at the Mac side of things from the 90s, a lot of software would break in new versions of OS. See druaga1 videos using four different apple computers with different OSs in order to get something working.

> transmission
> best
Keep deluding yourself. Good doesn't mean great.

> If you look at the Mac side of things from the 90s, a lot of software would break in new versions of OS
EVERYTHING would be broken because they're totally different architectures.

cubase 2.0

>EVERYTHING would be broken because they're totally different architectures
What the hell are you talking about. We're talking about 90 software. I was referring to those versions of Mac OS, example OS 6 7 8 etc. Apple made the switch from Power PC to x86 in 2005, and even still Apple osx was already out.

ls

acme '93
rc '88
terminal.app '85

Emacs
Nah just kidding.

I use Office 2003 with the 2007 compatibility pack and it works fine with docx/xlsx/pptx going back and forth between 2003 and 2013/2016.

Why not? DOS software (apps, not games) from, like, 1985 would generally run on anything up to Windows XP and only stopped being usable with the switch to 64 bit Windows and then mostly because the CPUs can't run 16-bit stuff in long mode.

this

Spacemonger 2

The OS's themselves are completely different. Classic OS's were proprietary, while OS X/macOS are UNIX. There was never any direct compatibility, only an emulator that Apple included until Leopard. CPU architecture did add another layer of complexity though, and Classic environment was never included with Intel Macs since the first in 2006.

Winrar. The archive extractor of the lost, forgotten nobility.

Windows XP SP3

i keep needing to install this when i hanker for quake again. quake is my tetris, the game i cannot live without.

COOOOL EDIIIIT PROOO TWO POINT OOOOOH

also Paint Shop Pro X. can't get it to run on my win 10 laptop but still using it on my win 7 desktop

>the CPUs can't run 16-bit stuff in long mode
It can, Microsoft just didn't want to bother porting NTVDM.

firefox 52. versions after that are garbage.

Photoshop 7
> does almost all the same shit as the latest ones
> runs a hundred times faster
> doesnt mangle 256 color palettes like gimp does

Also Cool Edit Pro and Winamp 5.666

UGE Universal (Save)Game Editor

Dos based hex editor that displays data in integer values, places markers/save spots for variables.

Used it recently to edit palettes for the xcom/openxcom game. Google image was actually made/posted by me.
> ran it in dosbox

Slade 3 works better for that sort of thing.

Xorg :3

Paint Shop Pro 7.04 for me, it's the quickest way to shoop random stuff there is.

I always copy over the Windows 3D-White cursors to newer PCs.

I used 7.0 a lot in highschool, I would agree that it still does what it says on the tin in 2017

an entire generation of graphic design and game production was engineered with that thing
> thats saying something
> same goes for programs like 3Dsmax2.5

Then again the same is true of DPaint2, even though its very clunky and restricted to 8bit graphics... the sheer tonnage of original vaporwave that it produced cannot be scoffed at.
> Even iD admitted that they used DP2 for Quake2's graphics

Old games (UT 99/Q3A/RE 1-3/UT2k4/Star Trek Starfleet Academy/Tomb Raider 1-3/NOLF 1&2/Jetmoto)
Phtoshop CS2,Office 07 pro,DVD shrink,DVD decrypter,U Torrent/Quicken 2011/IMG Burn/DVD Flick/TMPEG Enc/DVD Styler/WINRAR/7zip/VLC Media Player/KLite Codec pack

>I thought that network was shut down years ago?
>limewire
>is p2p
>shutdown network
downssyndrome.nig

its possible if its proprietary and depends on a central server like torrents used to need a tracker before magnets were a thing.

>7zip
>VLC
>old

I have CS2 installed, for the same reasons and also because ImageReady is still much more useful for tweaking GIFs.

Also it's got a free official installer.

Arsclip clipboard extender/manager
joejoesoft.com/vcms/97/
If anyone knows a better clipboard manager for windows go ahead and tell.

>it doesnt though, and p2p means peer to peer so i obviously meant that there is no centralized server for anything involved.

Waterfox
Pale Moon
IceCat for guhnoo+loonix

No reason to stick with that

Just Winamp

Could never into Foobar (not that I gave it a good shot)

but isnt icecat going to get that downgrade soon too? i dont want that shitty rust meme on my computer.

IDK. I use Pale Moon, it's about as far from Rust as you can get. Waterfox will be following the ESR track for the foreseeable future and is based on 56. They're both better than the losing battle of using an old browser.

soulseek

I've been using it since early 2000s

youtube.com/watch?v=HaF-nRS_CWM

Winamp 5.666, and sometimes I like to use Microsoft Comic Chat as my IRC client just to snap some funny panels on the channels I frequent.

Powertab. I don't know how old it is, I've been using it since at least 2007. Tux Guitar is better, but I still use Powertab sometimes.

No need to be a cunt, cunt

I mostly use Linux so all the apps I used to use back in the day on Windows are not useful or some other program replaced it.

Realplayer
Safari for Windows

Both still work fine on my Vista

i

Someone ported Adlib Tracker to Linux+SDL.

Windows 10

irfanview, it's still the only image viewer that matters. it was released in 1996

FLASH MX 2004 FOREVER

It's also a top percentage image editor, for when you can't be fucked for the extra 1.5 minutes it takes to open photoshop and crop something

Flash 8 becomes a pain when your projects become too large and have too many scenes

It doesn't have the bloat of the newer ones and large project problems can be alleviated by just using different projects for different scenes but I digress.

enjoy your crashes

>he doesn't reflexively save his work every 10 seconds

enjoy your life, if you can even call it that

this, irfanview is top tier and i use it daily.

though it's not really 'old software' because it's been updated recently.

The last time Macromedia Flash MX 2004 crashed on me was 2003.

Me? Avid Media Composer 8.3.

uTorrent
windows7
thunderbird
auslogics defrag (still the best)
audacity

etc

all from 2000s

>uTorrent 2.2.1
this, famalam

Winamp
WinDirStat
WinHTTrack (crawler to download websites)
there seems to be a pattern here, let change that:
GoldWave (great audio editor)
HerculesTerm

Billy music player.
Has been taken down from the devs website, but it´s still the best for simply playing a folder of mp3´s.

>i dont want that shitty rust meme on my computer.