I just bought a Core i7-4790K to upgrade from my Pentium G3220. Did I make a good choice...

I just bought a Core i7-4790K to upgrade from my Pentium G3220. Did I make a good choice, or should I have gone with the Xeon E3-1281v3?

Other urls found in this thread:

asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B350M-A-CSM/specifications/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Sup Forums is NOT your personal tech support

Just give me your opinion.

why a xeon?

ECC memory, and some other features.

4790k would serve you well for next 5 years

Yes, the 4790K is an excellent processor and will not become a bottleneck for a long period of time, unless something drastic happens in the PC market.

Have a 4730k very happy with it's performance. Built it a few months after they came out, the socket is odd ball just because it's a 2011 with no suffex. If like to have ddr4 but I doubt I would know the difference. Been happy with it since and haven't found a reason to upgrade. Power usage is more than current processors but the difference in power doesn't offset the cost of the upgrade.

>4730k

you replaced one stuttering mess with another stuttering mess, good job

>buying a almost 4 year old cpu
>"upgrade"

Anything is an upgrade from a pentium.

The board would have to support said featrures.

The memory controller is in the CPU.

So? Its the same deal for ryzen and ECC - ryzen supports it but no AM4 board is validated with ECC. Plus the 4790K doesn't support ECC itself anyway.

The real question is, for what price?

Pentium G3220 -> i7 4790K is nice in vacuum. But that's if you ignore reality and the price. If you paid >$200 for i7, then you fucked up..

It is if he went with the Xeon

The xeon may support ECC but the board may not. If OP tells us his motherboard model i'd go find out out of curiosity.

Ops a fag and has absolutely no reason to have ecc

>t. LTT shill/fan or Intel Sales Representativr

>t. intel fanboy
With the volumes of data that we are managing these days, ECC isn't a server only option anymore.

You've done well, boy.

I foresee many more years of glorious service from this CPU.

Ok fagtron, post your amd equipped, ecc capable mobo.

asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B350M-A-CSM/specifications/

That board doesn't support ECC memory.

DESU, who even gives a fuck about ECC memory anyway.

I keep forgetting that T B H is a blacklisted word.

That is confirmed by the community to work with ECC.
DESU

>asking what you should/could have done after the purchase

Average Sup Forums intelligence.

>That is confirmed by the community to work with ECC.

For the sorts of things you need ECC for you're playing with fire to use it when its not officially supported.

Yes.
I planned to build a ryzen based nas. But for that, better buying that new one of QNAP.

it literally is an upgrade you fucking poult

depends on whethere you're cryptomining or using it as a frogposting machine

It is for a PowerEdge T20 system, I thought it would support ECC as long as you were using a Xeon processor.

I paid $300 plus shipping costs. You're right that an entirely new system would probably offer more performance for a lower price, but it would mean I'd have to buy new memory too and that would make the total cost higher after all.

wish there were cheap mini itx mobos out there for my 4790k, they're either all more than what used to sell for or non-overclockable

> I thought it would support ECC as long as you were using a Xeon processor.

Nope! The motherboard needs to support the feature as well (you are aware both the cpu and ram interact with the motherboard and its bios right?).

By extension, you would need redundant PSUs, enterprise-grade drives, industrial heatsinks, large UPS with surge protection and so on otherwise 'you're playing with fire'. Any one component that is consumer grade can compromise the reliability of it performing server/workstation abilities.

The only risk (which is minute as well) is the motherboard rejects the RAM and not boot. It does not negate the possible effects of ECC. OP is not striving for something mission-critical.

What is a good cheap haswell CPU?
Looking to upgrade a i5-4460.

PE T20 does support ECC RAM though

it has to be UDIMM though I think, which are incredibly expensive

Jesus, $300. That's pretty dumb OP.

You sell your old stuff. Then use that to cover the cost of new system that will be better.

i5-8400 + z370 will reck your i7.

Should I get a gen 7 or 8 intel or just wait for Icy Lake? I feel like 1151 is going out the door.

Just wait, mate.

I figure that's the best bet but late 2018 or sometime 2019 feels like a long time and I'm sitting on a 3rd gen i5

Do you have a good build right now?
Wait.
Do you have a shit build right now?
Buy 8th gen.

Zen2 is right around the corner this quarter if rumors are right. Ice Lake is in 2019.

If AMD improved their clocks, this will be the winner.

What does Ice Like improve on Coffee Lake besides the GPU?

Might phase out the 2c4t Pentium and make that into 4c4t. the new "i3" might be 6c i5 might be "6c12t" and i7 might be 8c16t

But that's based on hopes and dreams. We know Intel won;t deliver. So at worst, a node shrink.

I don't think that's happening, although a 8c/16t i7 in addition to the 6c/12t ones might be a thing, depending on what AMD delivers with Zen2. As of now, there's no reason to change anything in the product lineup - they pretty much match the AMD equivalents.

Moore's law didn't stop naturally. Intel stopped it because no competition.They're only now resuming it.

>They're only now resuming it.

At the rate they are bringing nodes online the rest of the world will be on graphene based cpus before Intel gets 10nm running. IBM doesn't fuck about yo.

If Intel didn't stop moore's law, they would already be on 7nm.

Moore's law did continue for the rest of the world - Intel is fucked by clinging to a decade old architecture that simply cannot be pushed any further outside of brute force.

Is fucking hilarious how Intel fan boys have defended low core counts on Intel cpus for years, and now just because amd have a good chip, it's magically the correct time to add cores.

Funny, that.

You did fine. I just replaced my 4790k with a Ryzen 7 1700x and pretty much notice no difference outside of a few specific programs I use that benefit from the extra cores of my Ryzen
>inb4 poozen, shouldve gone intel, etc.

Are you reading the post correctly? Its not a fanboy post in anyway.