"2017 is the year the home button died. soon, you won't miss it."

wired.com/story/death-of-the-home-button/

>"2017 is the year the home button died. soon, you won't miss it."

You'll miss it once you start having software problems.

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/story/death-of-the-home-button/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

2017 is the year Apple fucked up bad enough to face criminal suits in France and civil class actions around the globe

>wired.com/story/death-of-the-home-button/

looks like phone tech will only regress now

>no jacks
>no homebuttons
>no navigation buttons
>retarded aspect ratio that makes phones look narrow like rulers and impossible to type on

>this turbopleb actually dislikes the taller aspect ratio

Meanwhile in reality their stock price is up 40% this year

If I just buy Apple stock every time I buy an iPhone then I’m getting the iPhone for free

aspect ratio fucking sucks
its like the 16:10 meme
for a bit of easier reading you get black bars all over the fucking place

Its not wasted space though, what's the problem?

well im happy with my 105 key keyboard and 7 buttons mouse + bidirectional mousewheel.

im seriously asking: how the fuck can you get any work done on a phone if you have not even one fucking button on it. also what do you do when your screen freezes and you cant get out?

I don't think you understand how stocks work.

my point exactly.
soon there will be no power button and the phone will turn off and on when you look at it or hold it in your hand and will become a brick the second it freezes.

fuck apple they fucked up
t. long time apple fanboy

Fuck 2:1 but don't you fucking try insulting 16:10 you retarded asshole

>mfw technology is actually going in reverse

Major corporations are constantly in litigation. Thinking this means absolutely anything to Apple other than a little damage control is delusional.

>taking away funcitonality just to get a marginally slicker phone look
>mfw this is what applefags want
Pathetic.

I haven't had a physical home button since 2015 and I'm better for it. You don't realize how much real estate a home button takes up until you lose it.

18:9 sucks

Fuck Apple. All they do is take things away.

What I'm really missing
Since when did functionality become such a inconvenience in peoples eyes?

>you won't miss it

Maybe when face ID is flawless.

Fragile worthless shit. They aren't as good as you remember.

>Phone detects when a nigger looks at your screen
>photo and GPS sent straight to the cops and your email so you can get your phone back

Maybe phones in the future won't be so bad

That would be nice but Sup Forums would be so much more unbearable if there was a database of everyone's face.

I tried using the one without a button and it's fucking shit. Actually unusable as a phone. STOP REMOVING THE CORE FEATURES.

Apple should copy Samsung's hard press home button.

- requires no screen space whatsoever
- apps can use the entire screen including the bottom part.
- can still press home whenever you like.
- it feels very tactile, like you're pressing an actual hardware button.

Only thing lacking are hard press back and menu buttons.
Why Samsung didn't just include them is beyond me.

When women became part of it and turned phones into status symbols and accessories instead of tools.

I hate apple but I've been using android phones with software buttons instead of physicals one across different phones (and not all of them were flagships) and they have never been unresponsive
Can't say I miss physical buttons
In fact, I much prefer the visual feedback of the button pressing than touching the "physical" buttons that the pre s8 Galaxy phones and iPhone 7 sport where they aren't even real buttons

Apple removed the software button as well.
You now have to swipe.

Yeah I've seen the PalmOs rip-off animations
Still, I think that if they gave the gestures the same priority that android gave to software buttons there should be no problem in that department

I don't think there is any problem until "the battery gets old".

Moving the homekey to the side or back would be fine, but Apple won't do it. Just like how they could have replaced the headphone jack with something more efficient, but instead opted to completely remove it with no replacement. Apple will just cut the home button replace it with nothing.

Wouldn't on screen buttons defeat the point of trying to dedicate more of the phone face to the screen? Instead of having buttons you can press any time, instead of having buttons that take up none of the screen, you've got always on buttons that will annoy you. I'd rather have a button to press to get out of a game than do some gesture that takes thrice as long to go through.

>Wouldn't on screen buttons defeat the point of trying to dedicate more of the phone face to the screen?

On my Note 8 I can hide the on-screen buttons.
And when hidden I can still press the home button by pushing hard on the place the on-screen button would normally sit.

It's really easy to use and you don't press it accidentally.
But unfortunately the other two buttons can't be used when hidden - a big mistake IMO.

Nah dude, they added animojis! That's gotta be worth it all, right?

What HAVEN'T women ruined in 21st century western civilization yet?

Are penises civilization?
Women can't own those yet.

They're damn sure trying though.

iPhone X has force touch, they could do this in software.

Really? Will apple get credit for killing the home button? Most android phones don't have a physical button. Most have capacitive buttons but quite many have software buttons.
Pic related is essentially four years old. Also has a dual camera.

android devices have had software buttons forever desu. The apple gesture thing does seem like a stupid compromise though they should have a settings option for onscreen button or gestures

Apple are trying to dumb everything down as much as possible. That retarded fucking ad they're currently running where some mutt kid asks "what's a computer?" makes me seethe every time.

the iNotch isn't selling to good last i heard.

The actual problem with qwerty phones is that landscape mode is poorly supported in almost all apps. You pull that shit out to type in your banking password and you're putting that shit in sideways etc

>all this competition over getting as much screen space as possible and even removing the only button left for it
lmaoing @ ur life