The Samsung S8 will stop receiving OS updates in April 2019 and will stop receiving security updates in April 2020...

The Samsung S8 will stop receiving OS updates in April 2019 and will stop receiving security updates in April 2020. This is because android only supports their devices for 2 years from date of release (NOT date of purchase) and 3 years for security updates.

Will droids defend this?

My iPhone X doesn't have this problem

"The Samsung S8"

It is kind of shitty that devices this expensive only get 2-3 years of support, but honestly, who the fuck uses a phone for more than two years? I start despising my phone after a year, and they usually only last 14 months before being replaced, whether they are Androids or iOS devices.

Wait, there are poorfags who don’t buy a new phone every 18-24 months?
What kind of world do these plebs live in?
Doesn’t matter if you have an android or iPhone, no excuse for a shitty 2+ year old phone.

>tfw LG G2 still alive
>tfw using AOSP Extended with November, 2017 security patch

Who the fuck spends money on new stuff when the old work perfectly fine?

If you don't switch phones every two years, you don't care what Android version it runs on. If you don't switch phones every three years, you don't care if you're part of every botnet in the world as long as WhatsApp works.

At least a Nexus 5 on Marshmallow isn't artificially slowed down like an iPhone.

Fuck it, Lineage OS.

Pixel 2 gets three years of OS updates and anything for security updates. Get a real Android phone and you'll be fine, not a Samsuck piece of shit.

you are the one who has problems instead. Kys

>At least a Nexus 5 on Marshmallow isn't artificially slowed down like an iPhone.

This is a misrepresentation of the truth. The iPhone will be slowed down if it has a degraded battery. The nexus will have random shutdowns and a lower battery life if it has a degraded battery. Both phones will be as good as new if the battery is replaced.

Edit: and a Fourth* year for security updates

Me
>sent from my perfectly working xperia sp

That’s wrong, what I said in OP is true of any android phone. It’s an android policy.

This is the most shill/ depressingly brainwashed thread I think I've ever seen

"Random shutdown" is a non-existent strawman problem invented by apple to cover their asses

android is agnostic you moron every company that release an android phone is responsible for the updates not google

The s6 is getting android 8 Oreo. It released with android 5 Lollipop.
Fuck off.

>The iPhone will be slowed down if it has a degraded battery. The nexus will have random shutdowns and a lower battery life if it has a degraded battery.

One of these cases sounds like a dying battery and will cause any repair shop or service center to recommend a battery replacement. The other case sounds like the phone isn't good enough for daily use anymore and most repair shops would (and did, until this issue came into spotlight) recommend getting a new phone.

My xperia is almost 5 years old.

I bought Apple once. Got a iPod Touch 2G MC, it got like 1 update about a year after release, and all security updates ended around a year and a half after initial release. 2 years after release it became hard to find apps that even worked on the thing because all the apps in the store required newer versions. Literally was the reason my next handheld device was an Android. Bought an S3, and 5 years later it's still pretty usable even if slow compared to modern devices while the Apple was junk in half the time.

Wring. Read about batteries.

>not upgrading phone every year

Ifags btfo by poverty

I had nexus 4 and google stopped updating it os after 2 or 3 years, despite fact that it could easily handle new updates even today (it has 2gb ram).

If OS creator do not care about providing software support for his own os and his own brand devices then why should third party manufactures gives a fuck?

this meme corporatism consumption is kill
>lets force user to buy new phone every 2 years because shareholder will be angry and shareholder are the most important people in the world

Well, they're the most important to a capitalist corporation.
Also, just install custom ROMs, Google's devices have GOAT support.

>Buy Android
>Stops getting updates after 2 years, by which you are encouraged to buy a new phone

>Buy iPhone
>Keeps getting updates but your battery dies over time and becomes slower by which you are encouraged to buy a new phone have it repaired (which with the fancy glued shut, no bezel new X phones probably costs as much as a new phone

You can't win

Faggots who need the lastest, trendiest shit so they can show off that they have the mad cash to pay for overpriced trendy shit to other plebians commuting by public transit to their soy latte mixologist career

My 3rd gen Moto-g charging port died on me yesterday. I needed a new phone anyway. Is Xiaomi Redmi 4X 3/32GB a good substitute? I mostly use phone to lurk on Sup Forums and for youtube, My budget is 290 bucks.

What's the fucking point of this shit argument? You're not even going to use the phone for 2+ years if you're a normie. Ask a random Apple user how frequently they change phones. Most likely they suck off Tim Cook's dick every time they shit out a different piece of aluminium. If you can use a 2+ y/o phone, this means that you already know what the fuck to do with it. This means installing a custom ROM if you're on Android or jailbreaking for the iToy.

I'm glad they don't force my phone to be obsolete with their updates.

Huh, I guess. But apart from normies do serious professional people actually care about what electronics you have? Not American, so just curious about this strange exotic culture.

at least apple offers legit battery for old iphones

When I was looking for new battery for nexus 4 all I could find was
>"""original""" ali express battery nexus 4 tm r

fucking hell

People here on Sup Forums tend to use a crappy mid tier phone for 4 years +.

Personally I have never made it past a year with the same smartphone starting in 2010 with an iPhone 4 -> 4s -> 5 -> 5s -> 6s (longest I ever owned a phone was a 5s for 18 months) -> Pixel -> Note 8

Going to switch to something else next year. Probably Apple again we’ll see.

This guy doesn't think that's a problem Kek

My father is a Chief Commercial Officer CMO at a fairly large multi billion dollar company.

Companies provide phones to people that matter and they are on standard 2 year contracts. My dad usually REEEEEEEs and breaks his phone at the one year mark then pulls rank to get another.

Not that batteries have to be original anyway, they're fucking Lithium batteries they aren't new or unique. If you can't find a good battery then you're just fucking retarded

*Chief Marketing Officer - I’m a retard, anyway he does commerce and marketing.

The iShills have been working HARD AS FUCK since the iPhone X flopped. I mean, GODDAMN!

>android only supports their devices for 2 years
We all know that the phone manufacturers support the phones, not Google, not "Android". If there's a patch to Android KitKat tomorrow, the manufacturers could push that update to their customers at their discretion. Android and their policiies have nothing to do with it. Android doesn't support "phones", it's an OS.

I've never seen you guys working so hard before. I'm glad Apple is getting their money's worth for your time. Keep up the good work guys! :^)

My 4 y/o OnePlus One is on 7.1.2 with the latest security patches, an it will get Android 8 later in 2018 thanks to LineageOS.

if you think there is anything smart about buying chinese batter from ebay or aliexpress then you are the retard

I want official battery with offcial support where producer will take responsibility if this shit explode or burn house.

There is no official battery for nexus 4

Buy Android, install custom ROM, stay up to date at least five years.

I have an official Oreo update, but I don't update. Why? Because there's no point. The stuff I need would work even on a Android 4.1 phone.

>and will stop receiving security updates in April 2020.
Where was the press release you got this information from?

Especially seeing there was security updates released for the S4 this year.

Deeply unfussed.

I like the current stock Samsung firmware, something I thought I'd never say, but when the time comes I'll unlock the boatloader, root and have a look at some nice custom ROM's.

I'm not defending android fragmentation, far from it but at least I have the freedom to choose to upgrade my phone by other means.

BiPhones are for women, children, OAP's and the homosexual community. They're easy to use and comfy. Problem is Apple, by their own admission have reduced system performance due to poor battery technology. By tweaking their OS they've hoodwinked their own customer base in to buying new phones because they thought their old phone was faulty.

Apple are scum.

Buy Apple? Yeah, I do for my kids. They've had iPads, iPods and now iPhones for years now. It's their choice, it's want they want and I respect that. I want them to have the latest kit and I can afford to get them want they want.

For me? No fucking chance.

qualcomm has android manufacturers by the balls. they determine the support timelines for their own SoCs. if you don't use a qualcomm snapdragon SoC in your device, they rape you on the pricing for CDMA patents + qualcomm's modem, whereas if you bundle the SoC with the modem, everything is heavily discounted.

once qualcomm decides to stop providing updates then they're done.

samsung could update the international S8 variants further. but then the US market (which uses snapdragon SoC instead of exynos) would be pissed, because the international S8 would get more updates than the domestic version. and normies don't realize that this really isn't in samsung's control. so it's easier to constrain both to the shorter support timeline than to educate normies.

as CDMA gets sunset in the coming years then we might finally break out from qualcomm's rape.

I have an S8+, used to have an iPhone 5S since it was released it (many years of service/support) before it.

But I like that I'm able to torrent, use a video player that's worth a damn, emulators, etc.

It sucks so much that they have this piss poor support periods but I simply can't go back to iOS.

With the money you payed for your under performing Payphone, you could have gotten 3 phones of better value, one every two years. keeping you up to date for 6 years.

>It is kind of shitty that devices this expensive only get 2-3 years of support
it's the same shit in the pc world. motherboards are only supported for 2-3 years, and 2-3 years later a CPU is way out of date for anyone to care. ask any AMD faggot about their upgrade path and how they still had to buy a new mobo to pair with the CPU despite being compatible architecture (AM2 -> AM2+)

Honestly would it kill them to do 3 or 4 years of support for their flagship?

Considering people will be buying this phone in april and may as the new flagship phone and getting less than a year of support

that's kind of bullshit

Why does the s6 still get updates then you stupid faggot shill?