how tf do i do this in linux
none of the gnome extensions work

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/tldr-pages/tldr/blob/master/pages/common/redshift.md
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>gnomeme
that's your problem

guess what
whenever i have a problem on linux with X and i ask here there is someone that goes like
>using X
>X is your problem
>fell for the X meme

What is that?

> he fell for the gnome extension meme

WTF you want to do anyway?

>using x
use wayland, you dunce

xrandr --output HDMI-0 --brightness 0.7

This is what happens when you post in a board full of winfags for Sup Forums and tech illiterates that think they are hot shit because they repeat everything Stallman says.

that's a screen dimmer accessible with a click in the task bar

that command breaks redshift so i can't use it

well you're the fucktard who fell for the lintrash meme

redshift has the `-b` switch for brightness
github.com/tldr-pages/tldr/blob/master/pages/common/redshift.md

that's because redshift has it's own brightness control

>fell for the linux meme

ps. both the yellow tint and brightness that redshift does is just tweaking X's gamma, which is what xrandr does as well, so they will conflict
use redshift's brightness option if you're using redshift otherwise

AFAIK that doesn't really change the brightness.

Modify /sys/class/backlight//brightness with root rights. It goes from 0 - 255. The value is not persistent.

well aware, but op's screenshot clearly shows a "software" brightness control (as the screenshot image itself is dimmed), which is what xrandr/redshift does

> screen dimmer accessible with a click in the task bar
Brightness slider is available by default, what's the difference?

well thanks but even if that worked it would be incovenient, i'd like a thing that i can click with 1 to 10 brighness control

not that i could try those commands anyway because i was trying more extensions and after i installed one the screen became totally black and now i cant do anything
not even reboot fixes it

i dont have it, i dont know why

Personally I use Redshift to control screen brightness, and I just run scripts to change between brightness settings.

just make keyboard shortcuts, like "super+shift+1-9,0" or something

this

not sure if redshift can be adjusted while running, but you could always just have a keyboard shortcut that runs sed on redshift's config and reloads redshift

>not sure if redshift can be adjusted while running,
JUst kill it and restart redshift you brainlet

you didn't read the whole post, did you?

AFAIK GNOME already has built in support for this kind of thing, at least it works in my laptop out of the box

Are you sure you can change brightness in a monitor from a console/gui? I've never seen this in desktops, even while using windows on a high end Dell monitor

he's talking about gamma adjustments, not actually changing the backlight brightness, he's probably not on a laptop

just been playing with the idea of using this for fading in/out some things
made a one-liner that does a 1 second fade in, might as well share it here
time=$(date +%s%N); while [ $(date +%s%N) -lt $[ $time + 1000000000 ] ]; do xrandr --output HDMI-0 --brightness $(bc

well heck, i just accidentally found out that setting a negative brightness level inverts your colours

Where we're going, we don't need extensions...

>he actually uses a monitor